Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
DarkByke

Protomen?????
DarkByke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
Me2nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioface5 View Post
They did, apparently! For the Slums level.
I noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkByke View Post
Protomen?????
._.
You will be educated.
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
durruti

was just skimming the forum... "vengeance" and "unrest in the house of light" struck a nerve. didn't think that was even possible anymore/in this particular musical background... thanks.
durruti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
KeredCWR

Oh man... I just noticed this thread now while looking to see why Sanctum just updated a small update today (though I don't see an explanation for it at the moment). I have to admit that I feel so strongly about this that I was compelled to add my Protomen experience.

I saw them open at one of the concerts at PAX Prime 2010, and I absolutely, positively could not stand them. Granted, I hadn't heard of them beforehand (I was there for Metroid Metal and Minibosses), and that probably adversely tainted my experience, but The Protomen were just dripping in 80's cliches and melodrama, and they didn't appear to be playing it up for comedic effect - all the band members seemed completely serious and exuded a "I'm cooler than you" attitude. Naturally, I realize a lot of people like them, so my experience and view is more of an extreme, and had I heard their music first, I might have dug their performance more. But wow... it was enough to put me off them for life!
KeredCWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
OscarJilsen

Coffee Stain Studios
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeredCWR View Post
...The Protomen were just dripping in 80's cliches and melodrama, and they didn't appear to be playing it up for comedic effect - all the band members seemed completely serious and exuded a "I'm cooler than you" attitude.
The whole thing about The Protomen is that they're serious and if you're a fan that makes the live performances really good. Though I haven't seen them live myself I've heard that they basically roleplay the characters in the story up on stage.
That's something I like a lot about The Protomen. The songs are not just songs, but rather parts in a big rock-opera kinda thing. There is a chronology throughout all the songs and even the lyrics you get when you buy the CD are written more like a script than lyrics. Things happen in the songs.
They even take it to the point that the audience sometimes takes the part of the choir in the songs, because the choir in the songs often represent the people, the human population.

I guess that's what I like about them, they've made a serious version of Megaman and bring a consistent experience

Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
durruti

let's see, last time i checked lyrics were about oppressed people not lifting a finger even when someone fights for 'em and a better world. so if someone else thinks this an 80s cliche we've oh so grown out of and can't possibly be taking it seriously, well, then i'm quite sure you can't really explain it to him, he'd have to question his own train of thought likely for the first time which is not going to work out (easily) when he's concerned with stuff like coolness...
durruti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
KeredCWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by durruti View Post
let's see, last time i checked lyrics were about oppressed people not lifting a finger even when someone fights for 'em and a better world. so if someone else thinks this an 80s cliche we've oh so grown out of and can't possibly be taking it seriously, well, then i'm quite sure you can't really explain it to him, he'd have to question his own train of thought likely for the first time which is not going to work out (easily) when he's concerned with stuff like coolness...
Er... what?? I have no idea what you're saying. I myself am by no means concerned with coolness nor try to be cool. I was saying that the Protomen seemed to be trying to hard to act cool themselves. In any case, I'm fine that other people enjoy them and that I simply don't get their schtick.

I listen to music primarily for the melody and don't really pick up on the lyrics, and on top of that, it's usually really hard to make out any lyrics in a live setting, too. So, if a great deal of the Protomen's appeal comes from their lyrics, then that explains why I didn't dig them that evening (by the way, thanks for the explanation Oscar! ). All the other bands at PAX were clearly having fun, so the Protomen's seriousness seemed completely at odds with the rest of the performances. With me not being familiar with their music ahead of time, it just seemed really out of place. I knew about their loose connection to the Mega Man mythos ahead of time, but their live show gave no indication of that. (And for what it's worth, Mega Man is one of my favorite series of all time!)

Anyway, sorry to barge into this thread - I had such a strong reaction to their performance that I felt obliged to comment, especially since I was curious if others felt the same.
KeredCWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sanctum