Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series

Old 06-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #31
kodack69

Please sticky, the hex edit worked for me.
kodack69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #32
MALICE00

Thanks for this patch, works like a charm!

One question though, can I change the resolution? I've setup RF2 to use 1600x1200, but it switches back to 640x480... Is this related to the patch?
MALICE00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #33
schlub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseLaQuet View Post
Alright, this requires that you modify the game's executable. I can't guarantee that this doesn't break any rules, but in the context, I think that this is acceptable. Do this at YOUR OWN RISK.
Option 1 < Auto Patch RECOMMENDED
The auto-patch works great... much better than stuffing around with the 'max memory' settings as per the stickied post
schlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #34
g8rpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseLaQuet View Post
Alright, this requires that you modify the game's executable. I can't guarantee that this doesn't break any rules, but in the context, I think that this is acceptable. Do this at YOUR OWN RISK.

Option 1 < Auto Patch RECOMMENDED

NebulaMods-digi put my change into an auto patcher. Go ahead and grab it from here

http://www.nebulamods.com/rf/mfpatchsteam.exe

run it, and select "Target File" as
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red faction ii\rf2.exe
Then hit "start." You should be good to go now

Option 2 < Manual Patch (not recommended but left here for documentation on what the patcher does)

OK, first, grab a hex editor. I used "Hex Editor Neo" of which a free version can be found here:

http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/...itor-free.html

Go ahead and install that.

open up explorer and go to
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red faction ii
Back up rf2.exe before continuing!!!

Load the hex editor (be sure to Run as Administrator) and open up "rf2.exe".

In the hex editor, hit "edit -> go to offset" and type in:

Code:
0012a0d4
Change the value "75" to read "74". (translation: change "jnz" to "jz")

Save the executable.

Run and enjoy
first part worked for me. thought this was going to be the first game out of over 100 that I had to request steam to refund. Why the heck didn't steam patch this to begin with???

starting to lose my faith in steam.
g8rpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #35
I-no

Even after trying all the possible steps, the blackscreen on start up persists. What could I have been missing?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #36
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rpal View Post
first part worked for me. thought this was going to be the first game out of over 100 that I had to request steam to refund. Why the heck didn't steam patch this to begin with???

starting to lose my faith in steam.
Because first the patch is community made because the developers refused to fix the issues. Second it isn't Steams job to patch games it is consigned to sell. They are just the store. They totally have to depend on the publisher staying on top of things which usually they don't.

I do think it would be nice it they linked to the community patches though just out of courtesy. Steam is not GoG who has been given the freedom by the developers/publishers to fix what is broken before selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-no View Post
Even after trying all the possible steps, the blackscreen on start up persists. What could I have been missing?
how long are you waiting. The game takes near 5 minutes to come up and play for me. Plays great once its up. Not uncommon with really old Windows games on Vista/Win7. How long are you waiting? Have you checked your processes to see if it's running even if the application isn't showing as running yet.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 06-08-2011 at 08:19 AM.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #37
I-no

Waited probably only half as long, and yes, Windows 7, I guess I would have given up trying to get it to run long ago, if the first RF wouldn't have just worked so flawlessly without ANY problems..
Anyhow, even waiting around for like ten minutes does not change much and the process shows up running and all, at least I think so anyway..
I also found out that RF 2 is not much in continuity with the overall story though, so I guess it won't matter much if I give this one the slip. Thanks anyway though.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #38
TPS

Thumbs up

The auto-patch worked great for me. Thanks!

I love that most games with issues like this usually have someone with the know-how in the community putting together fixes. It's greatly appreciated!

If only Steam would step it up and help recognize and promote these fixes and community members. It would be fantastic to have these things always stickied, have a place on Valve servers for mods to upload verified working fixes to, and toss a little icon or something to those that create and share these fixes (Or a new TF2 item: The "Community Supporter" jock-strap )
TPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #39
tsukasa2k8

thanx it worked for me too
tsukasa2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #40
Cunin

Bump.

Works for me too.
Cunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #41
TimM

Worked, awesome thanks. Thought this was the first game of my 300+ steam games that wouldn't work. I bought the two original almost four months ago, the first works fine. And now finally, thanks to this patch, Red Faction II works as well.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #42
PELUXA1

Thank you very much NorseLaQuet and NebulaMods-digi.

The patches do work!
PELUXA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #43
Arazele23

I realise this thread was started about 3 years ago now but i'm having problems.
Firstly the http://www.nebulamods.com/rf/mfpatchsteam.exe file is no longer available for download from this site.
I tried the other method and the offset 0012a0d4 doesn't seem to exist in the rf2.exe when i went to edit it.
So... I'm stuck, anyone got any ideas?
Arazele23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #44
Arazele23

Never Mind.. That go to offset thing wasn't work it so just found it manually. Saved and the game is running. cheers!
Arazele23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #45
Soviet Messiah

Download link doesn't work, anyone have one that does? Also, the hex-edit method doesn't work, as there is no "0012a0d4" with a value of 75. The value is 00, and changing it to 74 does nothing.

Last edited by Soviet Messiah: 09-05-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Soviet Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series