Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Q.U.B.E.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #16
netnerd85
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 111
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2nice View Post
And potentially waste money? No thanks...
Buying games is ALWAYS a waste of money. Reading game reviews that are posted on websites with game related advertising is ALWAYS a waste of time. "Professional game reviewers" have an inflated view of their opinion and its importance, people like you need to stop supporting their delusions.
netnerd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Orko...
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 469
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2nice View Post
And potentially waste money? No thanks...
I have editted my comment to make it more clear for those few people who lack the brain power to see and understand what is obvious to everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko... View Post
What I learned about reviews both professional and amature is not to base your game buying decisions on just one and most definitately don't base your opinions on any of them. If after reading a number of reviews you think that you might enjoy the game, buy and play it yourself and form your own opinions.
Orko... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
in.meinem.turm.
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Reputation: 387
Posts: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2nice View Post
And potentially waste money? No thanks...
That's what demos are there for.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
Orko...
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 469
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by in.meinem.turm. View Post
That's what demos are there for.
True, and time was most games had demos, but now very few games have demos. Videos of the game being played has replaced demos and IMO they make a very poor replacement because everyone plays games with a different play style.
Orko... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
Anzariel
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 83
Posts: 225
Hey!!
I consider myself a "pro" reviewer and I adored this little gem. But I guess you make a point, I hated how every single "pro" except the HVGN (to my knowledge) bashed down the new SlaughterHouse.
Anzariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
nrnoble
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 1487
Posts: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzariel View Post
Hey!!
I consider myself a "pro" reviewer and I adored this little gem. But I guess you make a point, I hated how every single "pro" except the HVGN (to my knowledge) bashed down the new SlaughterHouse.
Can you post a link of your review of CUBE?
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Zurpan'
 
Banned
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 34
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko... View Post
What I learned about reviews both professional and amature is not to base your game buying decisions on just one and most definitately don't base your opinions on any of them. If after reading a number of reviews you think that you might enjoy the game, buy and play it yourself and form your own opinions.
I personally bought QUBE on the basis of the demo alone.

More devs should release good demos of their games, I'd buy more. When a game has no demo I have to get it through other means to try it out, like borrowind the disc from friends, and at that point why pay money when I have the full product already?

But I guess bad devs are afraid their demos will stop people from getting suckered in to paying for worthless products.

Last edited by Zurpan': 01-31-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Zurpan' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
Orko...
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 469
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurpan' View Post
But I guess bad devs are afraid their demos will stop people from getting suckered in to paying for worthless products.
That is, unfortunately, exactly why many developers don't make demo versions of their game. Years ago one developer that was known for crappy games said that demos hurt their sales. So all I can figure is that the developers that don't provide demos don't think, or know, their game is good enough to sell itself.
Orko... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #24
nrnoble
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 1487
Posts: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurpan' View Post
I personally bought QUBE on the basis of the demo alone.

More devs should release good demos of their games, I'd buy more. When a game has no demo I have to get it through other means to try it out, like borrowind the disc from friends, and at that point why pay money when I have the full product already?

But I guess bad devs are afraid their demos will stop people from getting suckered in to paying for worthless products.

Agreed. It is puzzling why there aren't more game demos, because as you pointed out, gamers will borrow retail version from a friend to give it a test drive. And of course smart people can read between the lines on that one, to take it to the next logical conclusion.

In Steve Jobs bio, he states that the reason iTunes became such a success was because people wanted quick\easy access to buying music, not because they were cheap and unwilling to spend money. Steam provides quick\easy access to buying games, but I think everyone has been burned at least once by buying an AAA game at $50-$60, only discover it was truly a bad game and\or extremely buggy. Demos almost should be required for all games, and its to the publishers advantage to provide a demo, because it will increase sales. Maybe they do loose 1-2 sales out of every 10 because a few games don't like the game after playing to demo, but if the game is good, they are going to get far more sales than they loose.

Alot of future games will go to the Free-to-Play model, where the core game is free, but the really cool stuff and DLC comes at an extra charge. Those who like the game buy the extra stuff.

Last edited by nrnoble: 02-01-2012 at 12:10 AM.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
Gwanatu
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
^^ lot of potential yes. After playing it, IMHO the game was a "work in progress" release, not a polished Indy game. It is worth the asking price, and I recommend it, but the game is not mind blowing amazing. I truly disliked the magnet puzzles; those chambers significantly lowers the quality of the overall game.
See I would completely disagree with this. The magnet puzzles are the only ones in the game where I actually had to stop and think of a solution for any significant amount of time. One thing I really liked about this game is that every sector feels unique, it's not just the same thing with a new coat of paint; the devs really did a great job mixing things up.
Gwanatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Q.U.B.E.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.