Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, The

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
miller4

This game is like Braid, what do you think?

After 5 minutes game play, I felt it is just like Braid but adds more elements. But it's not as interesting as Braid. What's your thoughts?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Mr_Twister_242

The comparison with Braid is obvious, and has been brought up plenty of times. My opinion

Similar to Braid:
- indie game
- original art style
- cool music
- 2-dimensional
- mechanism of creating clones (though Braid only had this in 1 world)

Differences to Braid:
- less artistic pretention
- story is less important
- funny
- puzzles may have different possible solutions
- leaderboards add an extra challenge to (maybe) keep playing the game
- no mechanism for actually reverting time
- more trial and error to solve puzzles

In terms of difficulty, I think both are pretty equal. Only the hidden stars in Braid are obviously a lot more difficult. In terms of fun, I really loved both of them, in their own right. ;-)

Also, how can you possible give your opinion after 5 minutes of playing the game. :S

Last edited by Mr_Twister_242: 01-04-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Mr_Twister_242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
miller4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Twister_242 View Post
Also, how can you possible give your opinion after 5 minutes of playing the game. :S
It's called First Impression.
Anyway, I have played it about 40 minutes now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Twister_242 View Post
Similar to Braid:
- indie game
- original art style
- cool music
- 2-dimensional
- mechanism of creating clones (though Braid only had this in 1 world)
And the chapter selection interface is similar too.

Last edited by miller4: 01-04-2011 at 08:13 AM.
miller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
G.Lecter

I'd say Braid has more sophisticated puzzles, but judging the games as a whole, Winterbottom has a far better presentation: Braid is a bunch of absolutely awesome puzzles with a few oil paintings and a senseless story pasted on top of them, which don't have anything to do with the puzzles themselves. Winterbottom, on the other side, decides to be like a mute movie, and everything (character, graphics, storytelling) goes according to that, instead of stupidly trying to become 'art'...
G.Lecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
skiddlywibble

Though they look as if they're alike, the mechanics aren't really that similar. Braid did have clones of a sort, but they were just sort of shadowy loops. Winterbottom's clones actually have a physical presence.
skiddlywibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
Great game for $0.49.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
OmegaRed60

Braid was more challenging. I completed Winterbottom in 4 hours and I'm not the kind of guy that expects to beat anything that quick. It's puzzles were a little too easy.

Winterbottom does have a great presentation though. Beneath the cosmetics are some pretty casual puzzles though. Some can be beat by just screwing around until figure what triggers what.
OmegaRed60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
kidwgm

I have Braid on XBLA and honestly didn't like it that much. Playing this though is 10x better. The music and atmosphere is just better to me than Braid. I'm not trashing Braid; its just the game was not for me. This for $0.49 was a steal!
kidwgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
DPW

Alike, and not. PBW is a cheerful, fun romp with time travel mechanics similar to a good number of games out there:
http://jayisgames.com/tag/replaytheme

Braid uses its various game mechanics as a metaphor (or illustration of) the theme of the story. I'm a bit surprised at the number of people who found it deliberately obscure.

Braid is filled with ruminations on the nature of regret, the mutability of time, and the pursuit of knowledge at the expense of feeling.

PBW is filled with ruminations on time and the pursuit of pie.
DPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Vyrastas

I loved Braid, except for the ending. I'm about halfway through Winterbottom and yeah, it's basically the same thing as Braid, but with a less interesting story.

If you like Braid, you'll definitely like this game, regardless of story.
Vyrastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
Amander

I found this one way better than Braid. It had better basically everything. And in my view, Braid's artistic presentation was vastly exaggerated by media.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
cygaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
I found this one way better than Braid. It had better basically everything. And in my view, Braid's artistic presentation was vastly exaggerated by media.
Thought it's a Braid-like game appeared to me while looking at the trailer. And looking at the trailer I say that looks much better then Braid. Stating my opinion: Winterbottom looks ANY good (not saying that not much better), 'cause I simply dislike Braid graphics.
And the fact that everybody praise them makes me practically hate them. I'm not saying that's a bad game, no. And I admit that it's hard to me. Too hard, because I have completely no motivation to solve those puzzle, because the game isn't appealing to me in any way.

I'm curious about Winterbottom. Maybe some day.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
PaulDurham

The Braid developer, Jonathan Blow, was external advisor to the Winterbottom team, see credits. That might explain some things.

My two cents: Winterbottom is, especially at the beginning, much more fast-paced than Braid. Its puzzles, especially the later ones, are more tedious than Braid's. Braid has hard puzzles yet is suitable for the casual gamer as well. Winterbottom is suitable only for people with good platformer reflexes. Both games have amazing graphics and music in their own right.
PaulDurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Amander

I disagree on that. Braid's far from casual (if you want to collect all puzzles) even if you know what to do. Winterbottom's puzzles are at least not hard to execute once figured out or checked a walkthrough.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #15
Dunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPW View Post
Braid is filled with ruminations on the nature of regret, the mutability of time, and the pursuit of knowledge at the expense of feeling.

PBW is filled with ruminations on time and the pursuit of pie.
Damn, I need to make more posts just so I can give you +rep for that.
Dunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, The