Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series

Old 02-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
kazmohdim

Unhappy Come concerns with the imperial guard.

Hi. First off, before we get into anything, this isnt a QQ rant how IG are underpowered. I feel that they are pretty equal to the other races except for one problem.

Imperial Guard I believe cost to much for how squishy they are. I Get that they already do cost less than what other race's units cost, but I think their cost still needs to be brought down a little.

The whole concept of the imperial guard is "weak units, strength in numbers" and while fighting till the last guy someitmes works like a charm, I find that after a battle what the amount I lost outweighs what I gained. (fighting over a capture point or something) and having to spend all my req and pow to regain my lost units. And even then, that doesnt help the fact that my units were upgraded with squad leaders and different weapons all of which cost req and pow as well.

Another thing is, the tanks I feel cost just a tad bit to much population. There have been many occasions where I was just 1 or 2 population over the limit for a Baneblade, or a Leman Russ and had to send my guys to go die for no other reason than to spend 500-1000 req and 125-200 pow for 1 unit that will probably be targeted the most since its such a high threat.

Those are pretty much all my concerns, what does everyone think? Am I wrong? Do I just suck at imperial guard or something? XD

Also one last thing, this isnt really a game changing thing, but, I find the Baneblade is rather small of what its known to be. The space marine land raider redeemer definatly looks the biggest of all the tanks, which I think any warhammer 40k fan knows the baneblade is suppose to be the biggest baddest tank in the grim dark future of the 41st millenium ^_^

Last edited by kazmohdim: 02-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Jibberish

A couple of things to consider for the imperial guard.

First of all, guardsmen do the most damage of any basic infantry per cost-- 450 req worth of guardsmen will outshoot 450 req worth of space marines. They also have the cheapest reinforcement costs (9 req each with sarge, 6 or so with commissar and sarge) throw in their awesome weapon upgrades and the very useful deployable turret, and you have probably the best all around basic infantry unit short of space marines.

You offset your heavy losses in t1 by using the sentinel--it doesnt cost any requisition to repair, has great speed, an awesome anti-melee ability, and is all around the backbone of your t1 army. simply plop your guardsmen behind cover and have them repair the sentinel--8 out of 9 squad members will keep shooting, and the sentinel gets repaired at 20 hp/sec from one squad (only 30 hp/sec with two squads repairing, though). Catachans I agree are a little too squishy and vulnerable, but they're getting a buff in the next patch that will address that quite nicely, I think.

Next, regarding tanks: Leman Russes are perhaps the single best tank on the battlefield (less so now that they had a nerf)--did you know that they have the most health and tied for the highest speed, with the lowest power cost? They are a force to be reckoned with. As for the baneblade, it too is considered the best super unit you can get--its completely unstoppable if you provide it with adequate anti-melee support. Regarding your pop cap issues--what is your late game army looking like? If you still have a sentinel, that's probably the least-costly unit to sacrifice. Its a large amount of pop cap for very limited late-game effectiveness.

Imperial Guard has the best basic infantry, the best T2 transport, and arguably the best commander--the inquisitor. The problem isn't them being squishy--its your playstyle with them throwing away losses and not maximizing your reinforcement opportunities.
Jibberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Thb0b0r

I agree to an extent. Normally if you're good at when to retreat you can replenish squads for a fraction of the costs it would take for a new squad but while gmen squads are cheap to build the main problem is that when it's time for them to reatreat, they've most likely already lost their squad leaders which you paid for.

All in all the other strengths of IG balances it out IMO.
Thb0b0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Rahab_mx

Squad leaders are usually the lasy ones to die.

The problem i have with IG is that is is one of the most bugged armies, catchans fail to shot the nades or the "take this" ability, HWT goes into melee if orderd to attack an specific enemy, manticores missiles sometimes have an offset and tanks/heavy turrets and AP sentinel missiles does not compensate for height when shooting from a higher position
Rahab_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Jibberish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahab_mx View Post
Squad leaders are usually the lasy ones to die.

The problem i have with IG is that is is one of the most bugged armies, catchans fail to shot the nades or the "take this" ability, HWT goes into melee if orderd to attack an specific enemy, manticores missiles sometimes have an offset and tanks/heavy turrets and AP sentinel missiles does not compensate for height when shooting from a higher position
Actually, squad leaders for many units are *ALWAYS* the last ones to die. They have 0 health, and all damage done to their model is distributed to the other squad members. This is true for:

Shoota Nobs.
Aspiring Champions (heretic squads only).
Catachan Devils (upgraded and unupgraded).
Scout Sarges.
Guardsmen Squads (both upgraded leaders).
Stormtroopers (yes, their sarge does have a different weapon in some cases)

Notable squads whose leaders DONT die last:
Tactical Marines
Chaos Marines
Wraithguard
Banshees
Guardians
Ogryns
Kommandos
Nobs
+ More i may be forgetting.

Last edited by Jibberish: 02-13-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
kazmohdim

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibberish View Post
what you said
Thanks man, I'll keep practicing
kazmohdim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Rahab_mx

Quote:
Actually, squad leaders for many units are *ALWAYS* the last ones to die. They have 0 health, and all damage done to their model is distributed to the other squad members.
Then Guardsmen are bugged (one more to the list) cause i have lost both sergeants and commissar several times having only one soldier surviving
Old 02-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Jibberish

Has that happened recently? It used to be that way, but it was patched so that they never die before regular guardsmen. I haven't seen that particular situation happen in a rather long time.

I also believe certain abilities that target individual squad members might still kill some leaders. (Execute, mind war, etc)
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Sifer2

Unless its bugged IG sarge's are supposed to die last. They were only faction with that advantage when Retribution launched. In a patch though they made it so detecter sarge's of other races die last too. To help balance stealth overall since Lictor Alpha used to be ridiculous sniping off detector sarges. I think in some cases this may have overpowered some units like Shootas but its beatable.

As for IG themselves they are almost impossible to beat in a proper shootout. Their weakness is AOE attacks though. They are incredibly vulnerable to that. Plague Champion is a nightmare for them with that cloud and plague nades. The key is getting out the Chimera quickly to reinforce and protect Guardsmen from such things. In Tier 1 its all about using the Sentinel well. And in late game they have lots of powerful things like Ogryn, Manticore, Leman Russ, and Baneblade. Which of all supers is probably the hardest to counter.
Sifer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Rahab_mx

Quote:
Has that happened recently? It used to be that way, but it was patched so that they never die before regular guardsmen. I haven't seen that particular situation happen in a rather long time.

I also believe certain abilities that target individual squad members might still kill some leaders. (Execute, mind war, etc)
its very rare but yes, sometimes i order a GM squad to attack and then while they are in their way i order them to repair something like a nearby sentinel, one of the soldiers stops to repair it and the rest (including the sarge) keeps going as if they never got the order to repair, once they get to the target they don’t attack just stop there, get powned, I loose the sergeant and the only surviving GM was the wise guy who stayed to repair.

whenever is see this happens i have to order the squad to stop or to move to somewhere else and then repeat the repair order

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series