Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 02-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
lumpy custard

Civ5 expansion coming!

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/civiliza...pack-announced

Copy-paste of the features:

Tons of New Stuff. I know I just mentioned it, but I want to draw attention to just how many new things we've got here: 27 new units, 13 new buildings, 9 new wonders, and 9 new playable civilizations. Among the new civilizations are the Netherlands (William I, Prince of Orange), the Celts (Boudicca), and the Mayans (Pacal the Great).

Religion. That's right; quite possibly the most requested major addition to the game is coming in the Gods & Kings expansion. Using the new "Faith" resource, you'll be able to found your own religion and grow it from a simple Pantheon of the Gods to a world-spanning fully-customized religion.

Reworked Combat System. The expansion has a reworked combat system along with an AI that places more emphasis on balanced army composition. Among the changes to the combat system is the addition of melee naval units, which will force you to really rethink the way you execute your naval assaults.

Enhanced Diplomacy, with Espionage. In addition to being able to establish embassies with your rival civilizations, spies will now be an important part of how you conduct your foreign affairs. Surveilling foreign cities, stealing advanced techs, and garnering influence with city-states are some of the things you'll be able to do with this new powerful mechanic.

New City-States. With religion being added to the game, it only made sense to introduce Religious city-states which will interact with your religion in special ways. In addition, Mercantile city-states will be attractive for those of you who love to grow your civilization's treasury. All city-states will use the greatly expanded quest system, making city-states more dynamic and diplomatic victories more challenging, while decreasing the importance of gold when dealing with city-states.

New Scenarios. Three new scenarios will be coming in Civilization V: Gods & Kings. Experience the fall of Rome, explore the medieval era, and my personal favorite: a unique scenario in a Victorian science-fiction setting.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
SeniorBirdman

Very Interesting: How Soon?

lumpy custard,

Can you provide any details on when the release is likely to occur?

Thanks
SeniorBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Fish-E

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorBirdman View Post
lumpy custard,

Can you provide any details on when the release is likely to occur?

Thanks
The blog says late Spring 2012.

Which means about a month and a half!

Also, awesome! A load of features from Civ IV are returning.
Fish-E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Modiga-Disabled

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-E View Post
The blog says late Spring 2012.

Which means about a month and a half!

Also, awesome! A load of features from Civ IV are returning.
We're still in winter, so late Spring is about 3 months away.

Need something? PM me or contact support | Join us in SPUFU chat
Modiga-Disabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Fish-E

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modiga-Disabled View Post
We're still in winter, so late Spring is about 3 months away.
Ugh, I feel really stupid now. I must have been thinking spring = 1st quarter for some reason.

Anyway, as Modiga politely pointed out, the end of Spring is May, so we hopefully will only have to wait 3 and a bit months. (I wasn't interested in Civilization back when Civ IV + expansions came out, does Firaxis have a history of delaying expansion packs?)
Fish-E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
SeniorBirdman

End of Spring

Ugh,

Not the precise day for sure in the northern hemisphere, but Spring usually ends on the day that Summer begins, the longest
daylight day of the year, which usually happens around 21 June.
SeniorBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
masterthehero

I want to be excited for this, but I'm still a little disappointed with how Civ V performed on my system, and how diplomacy worked in general. Hopefully they learned from their previous design mistakes.
masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Vendae

I didn't expect THAT.

It could be quite a fix to the game if they also repaired those performance and gameplay issues.
Vendae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
lv0missingno

I'll probably buy this expansion, but I gotta say, it's a bit late. Most of these (ie religion and espionage) are features the game should have had to begin with.
lv0missingno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
jenovaweapon

Banned
I'm pumped about this

I loved Civilization IV and V, so this will be an instant buy for me.
jenovaweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Mondo84

Shocking.

They removed a key feature from previous games and now want to sell it back to you as DLC.

Can't possibly see how anyone supports this practice.
Mondo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Modiga-Disabled

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo84 View Post
Shocking.

They removed a key feature from previous games and now want to sell it back to you as DLC.

Can't possibly see how anyone supports this practice.
Removing a feature implies it was there to begin with. Civilization was built from the ground up, so it's hardly a fair remark. They couldn't exactly just import the features straight from Civilization IV. Adding them requires rather large degrees of commitment with relation to planning, implementing, testing and balancing. Given that Firaxis probably haven't just been sitting doing nothing between now and when Civ V was released, the cost of implementing them for launch would be a severely delayed launch. One would assume a delay of about a year because the necessary amount of work isn't going to decrease simply by re-prioritising it as a release-feature.

Not to mention the fact that things like espionage existed in Civilization II and III and didn't appear in Civilization IV until the Beyond the Sword Expansion pack. So this is hardly something new.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Mondo84

Many, many people were disappointed that Civ V dumbed down various features from IV, including the absence of religion. Some people prognosticated that this feature was excluded because it would come out in the form of an expansion later on.

I never said nor implied that Firaxis has been doing nothing since release, and I don't see how that might even be relevant to my point that the industry has increasingly moved towards releasing incomplete games and asking people to pay extra for features they might have liked in the base game release.
Mondo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Modiga-Disabled

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo84 View Post
Many, many people were disappointed that Civ V dumbed down various features from IV, including the absence of religion. Some people prognosticated that this feature was excluded because it would come out in the form of an expansion later on.

I never said nor implied that Firaxis has been doing nothing since release, and I don't see how that might even be relevant to my point that the industry has increasingly moved towards releasing incomplete games and asking people to pay extra for features they might have liked in the base game release.
Because you seem to be ignoring the fact that major features take time to implement. Given that Firaxis probably haven't been doing nothing, then the time it's taken them to produce the content for this expansion would not be significantly shortened had they opted to include this content with release. That necessarily would require them to delay release by the amount of time needed to produce the content. This is unlikely to be significantly different from the amount of time required to produce this expansion. So we're looking at a delay of what? A year? That's kind of a big deal when it comes to project finances. Not every feature wanted by the developers can make it into the final game.

That's assuming the feature was wanted by the developers. As I understand it, it was not intended to be a feature in Civilization V, because they felt its influence on diplomatic relations between opposing civilizations became too dependent on it, rather than strategic goals (it's certainly debatable whether the end result had AIs that were more diplomatically realistic (They're not)), but the point is it was considered a feature that didn't work within the confines of Civ V. As it happens, for some reason I can't fully comprehend, it was a feature that many fans of the series wished had made it over. By the looks of it, religion in Civ V will be an entirely different beast to how it was in Civ IV, which makes the matter even more confusing. Because then ultimately then the main similarity between religion in Civ V and religion in Civ IV is the name.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
masterthehero

I think what I want the most from the expansion is an improvement to the AI. Currently, they are just waaaaay too hostile and never want to engage in any fair trade agreements. They're just simply too aggressive compared to say the diplomacy in Shogun, where clans are happy to have alliances and fair trade.
masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series