Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Heroes of Annihilated Empires

Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #61
Skuggan

Banned
I've been waiting patiently for a patch to this.

The company that made the game is the ones responsible for it, and therefore I will never buy a game from this developer/publisher again.

It's not steams fault that it doesnt work on Windows 7.
Skuggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #62
Alkpaz2

The Rise of Sols patch is no longer dead and guess what? It fixes the problem!!! The GAME WORKS! This is confirmed with the hoae-3D-patch, running compatibility mode to disable desktop composition and the Sols patch together. (Windows 7 Pro 64bit) Enjoy!!

Last edited by Alkpaz2: 03-14-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Alkpaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #63
SigilFey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuggan View Post
I've been waiting patiently for a patch to this.

The company that made the game is the ones responsible for it, and therefore I will never buy a game from this developer/publisher again.

It's not steams fault that it doesnt work on Windows 7.
(If you don't want to read all of this just skip to the bottom and follow the bold text.)

1. True, developers are at fault for for the existence of the problem. (But in this case, the developer at fault is Microsoft for coding Windows Vista and 7 with poor backwards compatibility, not the game developers. I owned a copy of this game back in the 90's, and it worked fine on Windows XP.)

2. True, it's not Steam's fault for for the graphical corruption.

BUT, as a profit oriented vendor of software, it is Steam's RESPONSIBILITY to provide functional software. There is a fix for this issue, but it will be interesting to see if Steam fulfills its responsibility to its customers by oficially uploading the neccessary fixes. It is NOT acceptable for Steam to simply ignore the problem...as they have in the past.

I'm keeping tabs on things like this when I find them. It's not about laying blame--it's about fixing the problem. If Steam is going to repeatedly release software that does not function as described, then fail to address the issue in a timely fasion (between 14-30 business days, legally,) or offer refunds for problems that are not fixed in a timely fasion, then they are going to need to be held RESPONSIBLE for their obligations to their customers.

It's disappointing, as I feel that, overall, Steam is a wonderful marketing option for game developers--especially indies. But it's becoming more and more prevalent that poorly supported software is being released, and the issues are not being addressed by the vendor. Steam's view on their responsibility concerning the sale of misadvertised or malfunctioning software can be summed up as:

"You agree to our terms of service when you buy something, so if it doesn't work for you, too bad. Maybe we'll fix it or maybe not. Either way, we're keeping your money, and there's nothing you can do about it."

I think most of the software they release is fine, but if the above happens even ONCE, it's a problem. It needs to be fixed. Steam is a quality vendor for the most part, and it deserves to have quality policies in place for its customers. The problem is not going to be fixed easily, though. The best thing people can do is:

KEEP RECORDS OF SOFTWARE YOU PURCHASE THAT DOES NOT FUNCTION AS DESCRIBED.

REQUEST A REFUND, AND KEEP RECORDS OF THE LACK OF RESPONSE OR DENIAL OF A REFUND BY STEAM.

KEEP TRACK OF FORUM DISCUSSIONS LIKE THIS, AND KEEP RECORDS OF ANY DISCUSSION THREADS THAT ARE LOCKED AND/OR DELETED.

DO NOT BECOME PETTY, ANGRY, OR ABUSIVE. REMAIN FOCUSED AND PROFESSIONAL WHEN ADDRESSING THE ISSUE.

IF REQUESTED, SEND COPIES OF YOUR RECORDS TO THOSE WHO REQUEST IT. FEEL FREE TO DO THIS ANONYMOUSLY. THIS INCLUDES REQUESTS FROM STEAM!

DO NOT EVER THINK THAT YOU ARE HELPLESS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT A COMPANY THAT WRONGFULLY CLAIMED YOUR MONEY.
SigilFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #64
graspee

So, here we are in 2012. Is the main game patched up and playable in Windows 7 without additional fixes yet? I just tried the demo and it's broken in the same way as the screenshots in this thread (Graphical corruption of menu text).
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #65
Necrotropik

I'm running the vanilla version of the game, on both my intel 2700, 6850 GPU and my i7 laptop, both versions work fine, in fact very well. A fun game from years ago, so glad I bought this again me and son will have hours of fun. Nice to have literally thousands of units moving about
Necrotropik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #66
xzoltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by graspee View Post
So, here we are in 2012. Is the main game patched up and playable in Windows 7 without additional fixes yet? I just tried the demo and it's broken in the same way as the screenshots in this thread (Graphical corruption of menu text).
I'm in the same situation. It looked fun, downloaded the demo, can't play. But I assume that since no one actually posted a recent fix for this, it's still not working/patched?
xzoltan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Heroes of Annihilated Empires