Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Skilllet

using GoG exe will get me banned on steam ?

hello

i bought the game on steam already and i dont have 24\7 internet so i tried to play it offline but the launcher freezes whenever i start the game !

so i searched google for a solution and appearantly i am not the only one having this issue.

so one of the solutions is to run the game from the witcher2.exe and i did but it starts the launcher ! back to the same issue.

one of the people in the witcher 2 forum stated that to use GoG witcher2.exe and use it on steam version in order to play it offline.

some people reported that it worked. so can i use the witcher2.exe from GoG to paly the game offline or i will get BANNED ?

according to the readme file i have the 2.1 patch.

plaese i need someone who experianced the same thing or give me another solution. i highly recommend a moderator will tell me too others are welcome ofcourse ! HELP !
Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Sm0

If the launcher is freezing upon loading, it means you have to update NET , directX or drivers for your graphics/sound.

No need to use a different exe file, and it won't get you banned. File verification might fail.
Sm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Skilllet

it is a common issue with the witcher 2. i am not the only one having it. you too can disconnect from the internet and then try running it offline and then you will see if it will work or not. my .net already updated through windows update i have everything the latest. i mean why wouldnt it work on offline but it work only online ?
Skilllet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Sm0

I'm sorry for not reading your question more careful.

Here's what you can do:

Use the alternative exe file from GOG if you don't have access to the internet. Backup the original .exe (rename it to something else, you might want to change it back whenever you are online to prevent file verification)

Since there is no VAC or PB or anything, there is nothing you can be banned for. There is no online mode, except for leader-boards.
Sm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Skilllet

ok thanks but i was really looking forward to get a patch that will fix the problem....i mea we are in a time that you cant play except if you are online XD
Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Bethuny

CDPR are aware of the issue, and hopefully it will be fixed in the next real update (which I assume will be the April one).

I'd agree with Sm0 regarding how to use the workround to avoid any potential issues (It was posted on the main developer forums, remember.)
Bethuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Skilllet

okay thanks. looking forward for the patch.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
GuardianAngel42

You can also tell the game not to auto update, which will prevent file verification. Just right-click on the title in the steam library and select properties->Update and change the selection in the drop down.

And no, you won't get banned for using a different .exe in a game you paid for unless it's multiplayer/has some other sort of protection.

This game is DRM free (aside from Steam).
GuardianAngel42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The