Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Waaper

Banned
what has this game become..

Money right in pocket > No bugfixes for you.

This used to be a great game, before money mattered the most to valve.

When I look at tf2 today compared to what fantastic game it originally was when i started playing back in 07', All I see now is corporate greed. In that sense of way that you are free to play. But nothing is free as you are entitled buy yourself into it. Its debatable on how much a customer should rely on videogame headwear, but valve takes this to an entirely new level as they has discovered how their desperate fans are opening their deep pockets ..

It is simply a goldmine with no end to it. Oh but you may ask "what does the customer get back for being such a good source of providing extreme amounts of cash everyday straight into a bank account?" You get nothing. It's all about the money be not fooled this is no exception. I just don't get that people who has already bought something are pretty much entitled to pay more, Sure you don't NEED to do anything. But it is sure being mentally forced upon you In every way possible.

But hey, I already paid for this game, I also enjoy it alot. But turning to such a greedy way of making money is not ethical to me anymore, at all.

I despise of you valve this is getting more and more ridiculous.

Has valve gone to far on this one? In my opinion definantly. This moneymaking plan should have been stopped a long time ago and the customer has been forgotten here in my opinion.

I am stating an honest opinion here people, I am not trying to start any sort of argueing here. I am just stating my honest opinion as a customer and i should be entitled to express myself as one. You guys need to work on how to reward your customers for playing the game, Not exploiting them.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
zapmunk

As much as I agree with you, this is the way tf2 has been doomed to be since it went free-to-play. That's the defining feature of a free-to-play game: The devs can't make money off of it unless they can convince people to pay. That usually involves setting the game up as a skinner box at the expense of gameplay, balance, fairness, and not-being-a--ness.
zapmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Waaper

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapmunk View Post
As much as I agree with you, this is the way tf2 has been doomed to be since it went free-to-play. That's the defining feature of a free-to-play game: The devs can't make money off of it unless they can convince people to pay. That usually involves setting the game up as a skinner box at the expense of gameplay, balance, fairness, and not-being-a--ness.
Im glad you agree with me, I just think that the limit of how 'exploting/enforcing' customers have gone beyond my own limitations. And frankly im sick of it and i think valve should re-consider their customers in this ratrace.
Waaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Rynjin

It really is all choice though. I buy something very occasionally, to show my support for the game. But if you do not agree with the business model, then boycott the store. Urge others to do the same, and make some demands. Valve has shown that they are willing to listen to their community when they speak loudly (and more importantly UNIFIEDLY) enough.

Though to be honest, I don't blame them. This kind of business model is INCREDIBLY lucrative, more so than you might suspect. In all honesty, I don't think there's a one of us here that could resist that kind of opportunity.
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
The Milkman -

Agreed. But I don't think anything can really be done about it.

The fact that valve put a $100 item in the store (and a decent amount of people have purchased it) proves they can do whatever they want and make a profit.
The Milkman - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
zapmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaper View Post
Im glad you agree with me, I just think that the limit of how 'exploting/enforcing' customers have gone beyond my own limitations. And frankly im sick of it and i think valve should re-consider the customers in their ratrace.
Nobody's making you play. You really have three options at this point:

1) Quit the game. It can't bother you anymore.
2) Shell out some cash. Generally bad idea if you don't have money up the wazoo.
3) Resign that you can't do anything about the current situation and keep playing. Ignore the hats and wait patiently for the weapons.

I personally recommend the third.
zapmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Frozenepic

Easy, *yesireadthepost*

Every Valve Game mutates over time, into a more horrible game, either in a single game or through sequels.
Frozenepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Waaper

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
It really is all choice though.
For new players this is not a choice. How do you think its to feel less then everyone else when you start playing a game?

As you feel you want to spend money on something to be accepted. Its not really a choice. Its been made a MUST and not a choice anymore. I have coached several new players and they always ask me about the hats and how everyone looks cooler them them and how to get 'the things the others have'.

Last edited by Waaper: 02-18-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
london*

and the cheaters...
london* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
needaxeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaper View Post
Money right in pocket > No bugfixes for you.
I am stating an honest opinion here people, I am not trying to start any sort of argueing here. I am just stating my honest opinion as a customer and i should be entitled to express myself as one. You guys need to work on how to reward your customers for playing the game, Not exploiting them.
Well I dunno.

I'm disappointed they haven't made a better effort at fixing the bugs. The 2 most common crashes I get are still in the game since the last update, and I crashed twice today while playing (once with each bug)

Although one of the bugs triggers more often when you quit the game than when you're playing, so it's less of an issue.

But, being realistic, last 2 weeks Steam says I've played 77 hours of TF2. It's usually closer to 100, but I've a few beta keys for other games. During that time I've been getting around 4 or 5 crashes.

So it's annoying, yes, but it hasn't stopped me playing the game. It isn't as though it is crashing every 5 minutes. It's what? 4 or 5 crashes in around 7 hours. Assuming a few of them are when I quit the game, it's probably once every 2 hours on average. Not earth shatteringly bad, but the bugs should be a bigger priority imo.

As for the money they get from rings or whatever, good luck to them with that, I don't see any problem with the store.

Last edited by needaxeo: 02-18-2012 at 06:24 PM.
needaxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Waaper

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by needaxeo View Post
As for the money they get from rings or whatever, good luck to them with that, I don't see any problem with the store.
Needaxeo, You may not see any problem with it, but I can name atleast ten new players who does not like this 'buy or die' dilemma they are faced when they see stylish people with ingame-hats all over the place when they have none themselves.

Last edited by Waaper: 02-18-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
KarateF22

@Op

This game has become a war-themed hat simulator with the ability to marry people who have attractive hats using rings.
KarateF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
l'interdit

Another one of These threads.

Just what SUF needs.
l'interdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Hammbone87

Hey Look! More "the game is dead" people! if youve been playing since 2007 then you know that this message isnt new ever since the medic got his first new weapons people keep saying the game is dead, but for some silly reason tens of thousands of people keep playing and enjoying it.

please remove your head from your . just because you dont like it anymore doesnt mean its dead. this GAME is not your child, it is not your dear friend, it is a videogame. if you stop enjoying it go play another one. there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS to choose from

also, please stop with this corporate greed nonsense. all humans are programmed to be greedy, it is in our very nature. when people say "greedy" they mean greedier than others in that situation. so no valve is not "greedy" please stop playing. and if you do stop playing then stop coming to a videogame forums when you are not part of the community to try and get justification for liking and not liking things. you do not need people to agree with you for it to be okay.

TL;DR the OP is an entitled child looking to justify and look for acceptance that he likes/dislikes the right things. grow up and stop crying.

Last edited by Hammbone87: 02-18-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Hammbone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Davidftw

Sadly valve decided to make the bad decision and go F2P. And I get it: they wanted money and TF2 was a game from 2007. Yeah, some people (like me) were still buying it, but it really was limited. They could get more money.

But like all F2P games, this meant they had to find some way to get money after it was F2P. Under normal circumstances, the store is a rarely used thing that really woudn't generate the amount of money they wanted. Thus they started to release more and more powerful weapons in the hopes that the new F2Pers would be enticed by the powerful stats, and would want to pay 10 bucks for a weapon that was obviously overpowered (such as the enforcer, or the Pomson)and thus be able to get it fast, and without the hassle of trading or waiting for the weapons to drop randomly.

But yeah, even for someone who has only been playing for like a year and a half, its sad to see how different the game is just between the time I've been here.

BUT: I still play, have fun, yadda yadda yadda, it just is harder and you really have to get into comp if you want a serious game, no pub cares anymore.
Davidftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2