Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blood Bowl series

Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Kjelstad

You guard the ball but you pick it up last.

First you move your players
Then you make 2D blocks with players that have block.
Then the players without.
Then pick up the ball
Then use your loners.

Stay somewhat close to that and don't try to pick up the ball with a mummy and it is a fun game.
Kjelstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
FAButzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelstad View Post
You guard the ball but you pick it up last.

First you move your players
Then you make 2D blocks with players that have block.
Then the players without.
Then pick up the ball
Then use your loners.

Stay somewhat close to that and don't try to pick up the ball with a mummy and it is a fun game.
This.
I've never played the tabletop and I enjoyed this game.
It can lead to frustration, I agree, but there's a payoff when you can mount a successful attack and score in the last turn of a otherwise lost game. Or when you block the ball carrier in the last square. Or when you manage to kill their best player...
The game is VERY fun if you give it enough time.
FAButzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
Deejaymercury

I'm a fairly rabid BB fan, having played in numerous leagues over the years with the miniatures so seeing BB on steam I was kinda excited.

In all honesty it's been a little bit of a let down, but considering I got it very cheap while it was on special I guess I can't complain too much.

While the dice can come across as being a steaming load of brown matter at times, I've seen games where both players spent 6 turns trying to pick up the ball suffering turnover after turnover and usually needing a 3+ or 2+
So when I see dice rolls that make me think "BS!" I know that it happens in the board game too.

I have found the game in multiplayer to be fairly good. If there are suspicious dice rolls then it's not so much a cheating AI as it is a vindictive AI who hates all Human users ^_^
But then, who doesn't hate those scummy Human users?

Some of the Living Rulebook rules don't seem to be applied properly in game though.
I've seen tooltips tell me I need a 5+ to make a dodge roll into a square with no tackle zones with an AGI 2 Dwarf Blocker...

Making a dodge grants a +1 modifier meaning I should need a 4+ but when a 4 come sup it tells me I've failed o_O
I'm pretty sure the modifiers are not added to the roll itself as I've never seen a single dice result come up 7 or more (or a 2d6 result above 12)

Could be the development team decided to drop that part of the rules for the game perhaps, I don't really know.

Overall it's an OK game if you already know & love the board game but it's certainly no replacement for having a bunch of friends over on the weekend to roll real dice.

Last edited by Deejaymercury: 02-08-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Deejaymercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #19
VoodooMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejaymercury
Making a dodge grants a +1 modifier meaning I should need a 4+ but when a 4 come sup it tells me I've failed o_O
I'm pretty sure the modifiers are not added to the roll itself as I've never seen a single dice result come up 7 or more (or a 2d6 result above 12)
Actually, this isn't so much a matter of incorrect implementation as really counter-intuitive reporting. I forget the specifics, but it would do something like say you need a 4+, then report your +1 bonus, and say you rolled 3 and failed, when in reality you had rolled a 2 and it applied the +1 bonus, making it a 3, which was too low. There was a lot of complaining about how they chose to log the rolls.

Quote:
Could be the development team decided to drop that part of the rules for the game perhaps, I don't really know.
There aren't many modifiers that get applied to armor rolls. There are certainly a few skills where you would normally get an optional modifier (ie, either to armor or injury roll) but it applies it only to one and you're not given a choice, and so on... but there aren't a lot of blaring modifier application errors.

Quote:
Overall it's an OK game if you already know & love the board game but it's certainly no replacement for having a bunch of friends over on the weekend to roll real dice.
It's basically the only source of single player blood bowl. I'd still direct die-hard fans of BB over to FUMMBL (dot com), which has a much uglier client (cyanide's game is the prettiest BB game ever there was), but a wider implementation and fewer buggy implementations.
VoodooMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
leafs43

The game has a steep learning curve.

Takes at least 30 some hours to get a decent strategy down.

No one picks up chess and masters it in a sitting.

The only viable complaint is that it does tend to favor bashy teams. If you don't know what a bashy team is, you don't know the game.
leafs43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #21
Snorkel

If you play the tabletop game, then I think the move from tabletop to computer is extremely worth it!
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blood Bowl series