Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Mobile

Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
MOD.Jstar

Steam mobile for Blackberry's?

Just a quick question and has probably already been asked but will there be a release for the app to be used on blackberry's?
Quickly scanned the forums and didn't see much relating to blackberry's, was wondering why it was only released for iOS and androids? Is there a blackberry verion of the app being produced and if so when will it come out?

Again apologies if this has alreay been answered and im too blind to see a thread
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
notdeadyet01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD.Jstar View Post
Just a quick question and has probably already been asked but will there be a release for the app to be used on blackberry's?
Quickly scanned the forums and didn't see much relating to blackberry's, was wondering why it was only released for iOS and androids? Is there a blackberry verion of the app being produced and if so when will it come out?

Again apologies if this has alreay been answered and im too blind to see a thread
I really doubt that they are making a Blackberry app. BB is practically dead
notdeadyet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Doctor Von Fost

I myself have a Blackberry Bold 9900.Its really great for everything.Internet is as good as everywhere else and the Mailing system is unmatched.Though frankly,the only bad thing is the apps.I really doubt they will be making a version for us,but heck,it would be awesome
Doctor Von Fost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
RaineStorrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeadyet01 View Post
Uhh... haha this is grossly inaccurate. It would be illogical for them to not release a BB version of the mobile app eventually. Keep an ear out, cause the initial launch JUST happened so who knows how long it might be.
RaineStorrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
notdeadyet01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineStorrm View Post
Uhh... haha this is grossly inaccurate. It would be illogical for them to not release a BB version of the mobile app eventually. Keep an ear out, cause the initial launch JUST happened so who knows how long it might be.
The initial launch of ALOT of apps happened a long time ago. Are they on blackberry yet? No.

And I used to have a blackberry.... trust me, its dead.

Last edited by notdeadyet01: 02-22-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
RaineStorrm

Quote:
The initial launch of ALOT of apps happened a long time ago. Are they on blackberry yet? No.

And I used to have a blackberry.... trust me, its dead.

I have a blackberry, and all my colleagues have blackberries. I also live in Waterloo where RIM's headquarters is and I can definitely tell you the technology isn't dead.

Guess we'll just have to see if Valve did a decent amount of market research on the popularity of the different brands of smartphones instead of taking anybody's personal opinion as profitable fact :P
RaineStorrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
nooblord

Quote:
Easily the stupidest thing I've heard as of recent.
nooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
notdeadyet01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooblord View Post
Easily the stupidest thing I've heard as of recent.
Call it what you will. The pointis I doubt there will be a Blackberry app.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
nooblord

Quote:
Call it what you will. The pointis I doubt there will be a Blackberry app.
No. What you said was that BlackBerry's are dying.

And I will call your statement stupid since it is incredibly stupid.
nooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
notdeadyet01

Quote:

You are kidding me right? Fine call it stupid l, I don't care. Blackberry would be nice if I wasn't so cluttered and if it had decent app support. It probably wont be sold anymore in 5 years.

Last edited by notdeadyet01: 02-24-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Martinq31

In Venezuela we hope that Steam exit for Blackberry. The phone intelligent search for more on the market in our country, is Blackberry. Sorry I´m learning English.
Martinq31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
Satoru

Quote:

BB is dying. They had a shot with the Playbook and that died horribly. The Torch launch was a disaster. The app store is terrible. The current CEO is actively trying to sell the company before their stock price goes into the toilet. Explain how any of the above is not 'dying'. Simply look up the financials and the outlook of RIM from any business standpoint and it looks very very grim for them.

Especially given the high profile outages of the BB network last year, many businesses are questioning the need for BB. "Push email" is hardly something unique to BB now so their only real competitive advantage in the corporate space is vanishing fast. I know several companies have really fought hard AGAINST iPhones, but now are caving simply because their execs what them supported. Once they are supported, BB phones are getting 'lost', 'thrown in the toilet', 'stolen' literally overnight. Users don't even want them. Only if you're in the BB Messenger part is BB even remotely compelling. Right now I have an iPhone with encrytption, push Exchange email, remote wipe and remote backup capabilities. From a corporate stand point it's decent and better than most Android options. Our IT dept can't find an Android phone that will do ALL of the above at the same time. The only real issue is side-loading isn't possible which is a giant pain from a support perspective.

Last edited by Satoru: 02-27-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
The only real issue is side-loading isn't possible which is a giant pain from a support perspective.
Just curious here (and off-topic), but what do you (specifically) need sideloading for?
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
Just curious here (and off-topic), but what do you (specifically) need sideloading for?
Mostly that in order to install apps you NEED an iTunes account. Even free ones. While for 'consumers' this isn't a huge issue, in a corporate environment it means that you cannot install apps for the user ahead of time. It would be nice to be able to preload some of our apps like the VPN and encryption stuff ahead of time so we know they work. As of now we have to rely on the user to do stuff which isn't exactly optimal, as users are notoriously bad at doing anything right even if you tattoo the instructions to their eyeballs. It's the equivalent of giving a laptop to a user with a bunch of CD's for Office 2010 and having them do the install themselves. Even if the instructions are "CLICK HERE" on a desktop icon, some user somewhere somehow will find a way to screw it up.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
Mangr0v3

Can't you use MDM for that?
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Mobile