Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #61
Kouvero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysdaydream View Post
So the island is all the events of the players recent life filtered through his subconscious mind, and his 'conversion' into a seagull and flying away is how the player's subconscious mind represents his own death, which he welcomes. Meanwhile, in the real world, the player's body succumbs to the cocktail of drugs and alcohol in his system as he quietly slips away.

(everything deduced or surmised from the player's statements and 'visions', items on the island, and the characteristics of the 'player' himself, e.g. his ability to breathe indefinitely underwater)

Anyone reach similar conclusions?
This is a really great reading. One thing that stuck with me as a really powerful image was the briefly displayed streetlights on the highway, which felt like pictured as if the player was lying on the road.
Kouvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #62
Kouvero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouvero View Post
This is a really great reading. One thing that stuck with me as a really powerful image was the briefly displayed streetlights on the highway, which felt like pictured as if the player was lying on the road.
Heh, I'm not sure if there was something wrong with my controls, but now on the second playthrough I was actually able to move around the road scene. :P Or then the scene is meant to be different. It was much shorter the first time, which I preferred.
Kouvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #63
Irongiant666

Quote:
Originally Posted by annuschka View Post
Nice interpretations so far! I want to add some evidence about Esther being the wife of somebody, most likely the protagonist: When you climb up to the aerial, there is a little hut near the fence. On the rim of the balcony lies a pair of wedding rings.
That varies too - sometimes it's just one ring.
Irongiant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #64
Irongiant666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Stinkwate View Post
Short question maybe you can help me out:
Is there any evidence in the game, like a line from the narrator, that clearly states Esther to be dead?
Yes, quite a few - mainly mentions of her ashes, the crematorium chimney, etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #65
Irongiant666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouvero View Post
Heh, I'm not sure if there was something wrong with my controls, but now on the second playthrough I was actually able to move around the road scene. :P Or then the scene is meant to be different. It was much shorter the first time, which I preferred.
From looking at walkthroughs (and based on my own experience) it's instinctive to move up once you hit the water. I know that's what I did the first time - but on the second playthrough I explored the 'memory' area more thoroughly. You can move around pretty well.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #66
Minichado

I didn't see anyone mention this, but when you attempt to jump off of anything during the play, or stay under water too long, the video fades out and you here "come back" sort of in an ethereal way before being put back from whence you dropped.

It sort of re-enforces that the whole place is a metaphor (and we all seem to be along with that gist)and your just going through memories in a crazy guys mind

I'm only on a first play through, working on a second to see how confused I get with the variation in the storyline.
Minichado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #67
Shedding1

A lot of cliche's. I personally didn't like this game. I thought I paid too much for an artsy story. Here is my take:

The first molecule you encounter (and you see it thereafter) is a molecule for alcohol.

I also see a blinking when you see the first cave. It looks like morse code (I will go back and try to decrypt it).

You also have to think about the name Esther - Very similar to Ethyl (alcohol).

Jacob (which is our protagonist) - When I thought of it, I thought of Jacob's ladder. A ladder that goes directly to heaven.

You also see a lot of references to religious passages. Specially dealing with the light from the heavens brings down death on someone.

road to Damascus
(idiomatic) An important point in someone's life where a great change, or reversal, of ideas or beliefs occurs. (Obtained from wiki)

As I went through the caves, you also see a lot of diodes at exits. Diodes allow current to pass in only one direction. Once you are through you can't go back.

I also saw on the caves pictures which looked like dendrites (brain synapses).

All in all, I took from this is that Paul (Jacob) is going through his own self (he makes several mentions of himself being at various parts of his body - "I am in the stomach" "I am next to the heart". He is finding himself in the turmoil of losing Esther. However, I think it was him who was drunk, not the other driver. He mentioned the other driver was not drunk. The ending is about a seagull returning to this island (Since now it has been fertilized with the ashes of the dead. Paul and Esther) dead brings life.

One last thing I'd like to add, in the beginning there was a shell that is usually used to illustrate the golden ratio (drawn from fibonnaci's sequence). Most things that follow the golden ratio are said to be pleasant and beautiful to us. So in effect, the author was probably trying to say everything was perfect in the begining.

Take what you guys will, this was my small interpretation.

Last edited by Shedding1: 02-25-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Shedding1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #68
Sil9

Shedding1, that sounded beautiful
Sil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #69
Norfren

The structures of two further chemical compounds could be recognized, painted in the cave walls, namely serotonin and dopamine. Both of them have a very important role in the brain, among others they mediate the impulses between the neurons. The also contribute the psychical state and they imbalance strongly influences the mental state. The structure of a third compound is also seen, but I was not able to identify it so far.

Serotonin
Dopamine
Norfren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #70
IonAphis

I have an alternate but nonexclusive theory: What if the narrator was Something Donelly (Esther's husband) but the Donelly he speaks of in third person is actually an ancestor of his, an explorer who discovered or ventured into the island and wrote about it. And him, being a cartographer or historian of sorts (mention of his cartographic equipment he actually mentions in the passage about him driving up and down the stretch of highway looking for the marks/evidence of the accident using his cartographic equipment), he probably went to the island either before the accident (maybe looking for his roots - a mid-life crisis of sorts, and maybe why he took up drinking in the first place) or maybe he visited the island after the accident and after meeting with Paul, trying to piece his life together, finding something to hold on to that would make him want to keep living. And if it is so that he visited the island previous to the accident, the island is just where he projects. The alternative is that he actually went into the island after the crash and, not finding any solace in it, jumps off the tower. And this is where it gets weird, but when we catch up to the narrator, he's actually in limbo, reliving his last moments on earth, following his last steps, but obviously seeing much more than is actually there (the candles, the writings and the defibrillator, etc...). This to me makes a lot of sense since his accounts would be mixed, his narration being mixed with real memories (falling and breaking his leg to get to the cave) and post-mortem observations. Things like the defibrillator would be a projection from the limbo, but things like the boats would actually be things he did while he was there alive (after not being able to reconcile with the truth, he probably let go of all of this material things, including the boats, and burned the rest, as he says in the end). In the real story, he falls to his death, but in the limbo retelling, he finally overcomes what he could not do in life and becomes free of the burden (by turning into a bird). Also, that would explain why when you come up to the point where his body should be sprawled on the floor had his body just plummeted, he makes some mention of the spot...
So actually his telling would be mixed with actual letters he writes to Esther (in an attempt to verbalize his guilt and pain) while exploring the island, thoughts of the accident and reflections of his mistakes while reliving the story in this sort of limbo. The drawings and schematics is a toss up, he could have actually painted them on there in his crazyness in his last moments on earth, or just things that appear to be there when he relives it in limbo.

I have one last creepy theory about all of this to explain the multiple lines in the surface of the rock bellow the radio tower: What if he went there in person, kills himself, but instead of reliving the experience in limbo once, he instead relives it several times, failing every time, each time leaving a different line on the rock as he plummets down to earth, only on the last time (the one we actually accompany him) he actually overcomes his guilt. This would have a nice effect, using the multiple versions of the game (mod and fullgame) since every time you play the game, the experience is a bit different, and on the original mod instead of becoming a bird you hit the ground... As if each time you replay the game is like another one of these attempts in limbo to find his solace... But then again, if that was true, the ending speech as he jumps off wouldn't make much sense all those times he doesn't "ascend"/turns into a bird...

Just another view on things....

Last edited by IonAphis: 03-20-2012 at 08:02 PM.
IonAphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #71
GlaDOSowen

The only dirt-solid facts I've been able to gather is that the narrator is talking to you (player) in a hospital, which I've pieced together from my own, and other peoples observations...

.When you fall really high, you hear a heart thumping (near-death state), and "come back", from the narrator

.Hospital stuff everywhere

.A sound file named heartbeat, or something...

.The theme of the narrative (sadness, delusional speech (I know how losing a life can affect people, my sister destroyed half the living room when our first dog left to be put to sleep), and the general oddness of the narrative)

.The final "Come Back", followed by the black screen,(and I swear, I hear one of those heart monitors signal a heart not beating), symbolizing death
GlaDOSowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #72
Maxiart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlaDOSowen View Post
The only dirt-solid facts I've been able to gather is that the narrator is talking to you (player) in a hospital, which I've pieced together from my own, and other peoples observations...

.When you fall really high, you hear a heart thumping (near-death state), and "come back", from the narrator

.Hospital stuff everywhere

.A sound file named heartbeat, or something...

.The theme of the narrative (sadness, delusional speech (I know how losing a life can affect people, my sister destroyed half the living room when our first dog left to be put to sleep), and the general oddness of the narrative)

.The final "Come Back", followed by the black screen,(and I swear, I hear one of those heart monitors signal a heart not beating), symbolizing death
I don't think thats set in stone. For one, the way he speaks about some things, it make it seem as if Esther is already dead and cremated. He 'chose' fire(IIRC) over soil, and the chimney led her to heaven. Also, the ashes.
Maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #73
GlaDOSowen

I didn't neccesarily mean Esther, and, btw, on my playthrough, I heard nothing of said ashes (although I know it's one of the lines)
GlaDOSowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #74
gotenwinz99

i believe in dear esther we are playing as the infection, and once we reach the heart we die, that's why there is beep near the end
gotenwinz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #75
BahaFS

I'm probably way late on this but I just finished the game this morning and I caught sight of this near the end: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/55...738AC6F5B73C7/

Is that a person or a statue? There was no sight of it once I reached the top and it's been bugging me ever since.
BahaFS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther