Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #46
Darklord

My only advice to troubled people is: If you got online and the update is finished, go offline and make sure, all games have automatic updates disabled. If you play singleplayer games stay offline as long as possible.
Everytime you have to be online and an update is performed, check all games again if automatic updates are stilll disabled.
Darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #47
Qwikdraw

Read this

Darklord is correct,

Important:
The Steam client application's files must be updated to allow for the use of Offline Mode. If your game's status is "100% - Ready" but you receive the message "This game cannot be started in Offline Mode" when attempting to play offline, the Steam client application's files need to be updated.

Firewall settings preventing Steam from updating itself are the most common cause for this problem. Please see the Troubleshooting Network Connectivity topic for instructions to configure your network so Steam may update if you encounter any difficulties with Offline Mode.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555
They dont plan to fix it. It's how it works and it's a pain. I HATE "Steam" and I hate "Origin" based games just for that reason. We have tolerate it in order to play. Simply put, you have to go online regularly and make sure steam is updated.
Qwikdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #48
jimmitch923

This is crap. I purchased an offline game in a store and CANNOT play it. I didn't purchase some allegiance to Steam....I purchased a game I would like to play. The network firewall configuration I HAVE to work with most of the time will not allow Steam to update.

Don't you guys see the catch 22? YOU CANT UPDATE IF YOU'RE OFFLINE! I want this fixed or my money back....preferably the former.
jimmitch923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #49
rocketsurgeon66

Unhappy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Also ran into this nice gotcha - my ISP's tame gerbil chewed off the cable, or something. Long story short, no intertubes for me. Steam offers to run in offline mode on discovering my predicament, only to croak from a lack of internet connection.

I have all credentials saved, all installed games played at least once since install. But no dice getting Steam to go into offline mode while being marooned on my netless island.

And now I learn that this is how it's supposed to work? Or, more specifically, not work?

So, my only way of safeguarding against being left both net- and game-less in the future is to always run Steam in offline mode except when installing new games?

Perhaps I should go along with that, it would certainly save me a lot of money by reducing my exposure to the Steam store, and in the longer run, Steam (since I won't have many new games to play). Maybe I could find a new hobby, I hear quilting is quite the rage...
rocketsurgeon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #50
BababooeyHTJ

Looks like Steams servers are down and don't want to let me play my games. Valve really needs to figure out a way to get a working offline mode. As of now its unreliable.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #51
Hakeem92

I notice that the first post was 2009... 2012 and the problem still hasn't been fixed.

Fix please? I have tried everything, making sure steam is always upto date DOES NOT fix this problem.

No files have been moved.
Hakeem92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #52
Strident

Red face This has gone on too long.

I too was bit with this problem when the internet went down recently, Steam wouldn't *launch period* as a result, and so of course I couldn't access my games, either.

It is infuriating to think how long this problem has been going on for without any fix from Valve or even really any response of ANY kind. I keep reading from others we just have to "put up with it," and that is simply not acceptable.

I think we've got to bump this up, somehow. I don't think the general gaming media or even most Steam users know this problem exists, because I think a much bigger stink would be raised if they did.

So I'm bumping this now, and I'm going to track this thread for a response. If nothing satisfactory occurs within a week or so I think it's time to start contacting places like gaming web sites so this gets even wider exposure.

I love Valve and Steam and the games Valve makes, which makes their lapse on this issue even more galling.
Strident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #53
bmickey

I'd like to see this problem sorted out as well. I think they could make an offline unique authenticating code, etc. with encryption level which is appropriate for them. The user wants only one thing: a failsafe option to play the purchased games. It doesn't matter for the majority of us how Steam works, when it's working and we are online. But it really is a frustrating experience when you can't access your games if you happen to be without a working internet access for some reason (holiday, moving to another apartment, ISP downtime, etc.). I hope they can and will come up with a solution which makes both publishers and gamers happy. As things are now, those guys who pirated some products could access their stolen properties (I guess) without restrictions, but the real customers who forked out the bucks for their games should accept that sometimes things are not in their favor.
bmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #54
tjman999

The same thing is happening to me, im on vacation and using at&t wireless.
IT SUCKS!
i cant even connect to steam to play offline mode.
tjman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #55
Achilles_88

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadolife View Post
Long story short, AT&T sucks and messed up my account and now I'm stuck offline for the week. My only connection is through my phone.

Steam keeps trying to update. When it fails to connect, I'm given the option to start in offline mode, but fails to launch due to there being no connection.

I've started in offline before. My roommate can start his account in offline mode. What can I do to resolve this?

Thanks!

Save ur time and check this link:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555
Achilles_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #56
Strident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_88 View Post
But if you're knocked offline and Steam isn't running, you can't even start it up. It'll refuse to, saying you need an internet connection. The support article you're referring to doesn't cover this, at all.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #57
MADDOGGE

The simple fact is if you do not have a solid dependable high speed connection with a very high data cap (or no cap at all if lucky), don't buy games from Steam or Steamworks games as they too require Steam. This is a no brainer. Don't buy games requiring Steam then complain about it's requirements.

Though Steam can certainly be turned off if one wishes, Steam is for all intents and purposes meant to stay on, not be turned off until next time you play. I don't have these issues with offline mode because my Steam is always on and constantly being updated. At most I might have to turn off my router and I haven't had to do so since I got a new one.

If you have a low cap that requires you to turn off Steam to avoid the poor house due to Steam updates busting your cap, then you are always going to have issues with getting prepped for offline. If you have very slow internet you are going to have issues with keeping things updated and by extention issues getting Offline.

I personally wish there was a simpler way to get to offline but there isn't. Offline doesn't take into account you are only going to play SP in offline mode anyway so you don't need the latest version, people have data caps and sometimes even the best connections goes down unexpectantly no matter who you are.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #58
Strident

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
The simple fact is if you do not have a solid dependable high speed connection with a very high data cap (or no cap at all if lucky), don't buy games from Steam or Steamworks games as they too require Steam. This is a no brainer. Don't buy games requiring Steam then complain about it's requirements.
But everyone has their connection go down occasionally - they shouldn't be shut out from Steam and practically (if not literally) all their Steam games until they're back online. That's simply not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
I personally wish there was a simpler way to get to offline but there isn't.
This can be done. Think about when you are online, and Steam is up to date, and you pick "Work Offline."

Steam then does something to the Steam files that are only on your computer that allow it to be running with you offline and still play your games.

All Valve has to do is do this in the background every once in a while for you, so if you're knocked offline unexpectedly, you can still launch Steam and play your games.

Yes I didn't cover every potential security hole that would make this more complicated than what I've described. But I can do so easily enough to anyone who wants to fuss about the details.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #59
RickBloodaxe

This just happened to me as well. Have to wait a week for Time Warner to set up internet at new apartment but I wanted to play some games offline.

To my knowledge, everything was up to date with steam and my games before I shut it off for the move. And now I can't start in offline mode, I get the 'no connection error.'

I guess I should have set it up to start in offline mode before the last time I shut it off, but who could have thought of that?

This is a ridiculous error steam.
RickBloodaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #60
nofattiesplease

Just hit this tonight when my internet went down for a while. Never had problems playing Offline before. Don't understand why it would offer me the option to play offline and then not allow me to do so. STEAM, FIX IT.
nofattiesplease is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
offline mode