Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Domenic

People joke, but ‘no random crits’ on some items would balanced them. Or at lest, improve where they stand on the op/up scale.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
KingOfMars27

Complains about Valve lazily slapping on 'no random crits' to balance weapons have been around a long time. Lately, they've been especially bad about balancing their new weapons, and have been regularly introducing blatantly overpowered weapons. Eventually the two rolled together to become a single joke, presenting a ridiculously overpowered weapon that's 'balanced' by slapping on 'no random crits'.

I think the Cow Mangler truly initated it. When it was introduced, it didn't use ammo, had a larger clip, and a charge function that would disable buildings and set people on fire. All apparantly balanced out by less damage to buildings and, of course, no random crits. It was eventually patched to its current state, but at the time people were outraged, and it didn't help that the particle effects made the game unplayable for many and its design was Valve officially declaring their original art style for the game meant next to nothing anymore.
KingOfMars27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Pika-Cthulhu

I personally like servers with random crits, so at least there those weapons have balance. For those that play on no crit servers, perhaps you can get a black/whitelist for weapons that have that attribute so that the clearly overpowered weapons with its downside being negated isnt an issue.
Pika-Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
l'interdit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
People joke, but ‘no random crits’ on some items would balanced them. Or at lest, improve where they stand on the op/up scale.
Minigun and RL shouldn't get random Crits.
It's just unfair, and makes me feel dirty.
l'interdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #20
Keybored6522

No one else here remembers the old Blutsauger? When it was released, "No random crits" was its only downside, and it stayed that way for more than a year until that one update that also gave the Sandvich a huge-three pink hearts buff.
Keybored6522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #21
Comrade Marat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybored6522 View Post
No one else here remembers the old Blutsauger? When it was released, "No random crits" was its only downside, and it stayed that way for more than a year until that one update that also gave the Sandvich a huge-three pink hearts buff.
THe funniest stuff is that it DID have random crits, just a ridiculously slow multiplier for them. I remember playing some battle medic back then and getting that crit blutsauger stream. I beleive the probability of that was lower than finding a freaking unusual in a specific crate.
Comrade Marat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
TheGameMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Witty name> View Post
I was playing some tf2 today, and joined this server, some punk kid was shooting crits with the scattergun. I did not see how to kill him, so I asked. A guy came back and told me how - so I started killing the guys shooting the crits.

Then, within seconds of killing the first kid, someone else starts shooting crits. I killed the second player and said "another one added to the noob list, MHMM" and I'am freaking banned within seconds.

What is the matter with these admins? Punk kids can shoot their stupid crits, disrupting the game play and the admins dont do anything. But if you kill them, you get banned. That has to be the worst ran server I have ever seen!!!!!

eheh

The problem with the downside is that it has no meaning on servers without random crits (which are absolute bullcuss).
Not nearly enough capslock.
TheGameMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
source_gamer

Banned
Random Crits suck. Terrible mechanic that rewards F2Ps for being F2Ps, I probably said that.
source_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #24
Bralef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuncoPartner View Post
The southern hospitality for instance, it does have 20% fire vunerability (because all good engineers take on pyros with their wrench) but they removed the -25% damage it did and replaced that downside with no crits.

It's a fairly stupid downside, because no one actually relies on crits.
No, it originally dealt no random crits and had normal damage. There was a short period where certain items with No Random Crits (such as the Eyelander, Southern Hospitality, and Ullapool Caber) got that attribute exchanged for "-25% damage penalty". This was quickly reverted.
Bralef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
ScootyPuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sabotage View Post
Makes me wonder why server owners even activate them to begin with since EVERYBODY HATES CRITS.
Because, per the devs, it's something that lessens the ability of good players to consistently steamroll bad ones. There's other things, too, but really, that's the core issue as to why many high-level players hate them, and why servers keep them.

I consider it synonymous with various racing games that gives the player in last place better speed than the person in first. The guy who's consistently in first hates it, the guys in last place love it / don't notice it, and the admins keep it in to prevent those guys in last place from quitting.

Last edited by ScootyPuff: 02-20-2012 at 11:36 PM.
ScootyPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #26
Batabii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombustibleLemn View Post
It's ironic because random crits aren't balanced to begin with.
Explain how one class gets more random crits than another.
Batabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #27
Default_String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batabii View Post
Certain classes benefit from crits more than others. Namely the soldier and the demoman.
Default_String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #28
source_gamer

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batabii View Post
Soldier
Nuff said.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #29
MegaManZer0

If I remember correctly, didn't the Blutsauger have the no random crit penalty on it originally? It was swapped to lower health regen though.
MegaManZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #30
source_gamer

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaManZer0 View Post
If I remember correctly, didn't the Blutsauger have the no random crit penalty on it originally? It was swapped to lower health regen though.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...7&postcount=20

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2