Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > World of Goo

Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
guisyo69

Red face game launch = computer reboots

Hi all
I have a big problem with the steam's version of World of goo.
I bought it few months ago and i never could play it.

Each time i try to launch the game, my computer crashes violently. Even by reading all the threads over here about the game's problems or even by reading the discussions on the developper's forum, i could not find any issues
Please help me.

My computer :
AMD ahtlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+
4 GB of memory
Nvidia 256 mo
Windows XP SP3.

Thank you

Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
inspiral66

I'm afraid the devs don't show their faces here anymore. They've gone on to focus on the iPad and iPhone. But have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, or checking the files' integrity?
inspiral66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Silvian_Bruno

Hi Guisyo. I was having the exact same problem, albeit with a completely different rig, and all the advice I've found in other forums has yet to help.

However, (and I know this isn't a very good fix, but it might be something) I noticed that if I access the World of Goo folder from the steamapps directory where all Steam files are installed, the WorldOfGoo.exe file works perfectly, just so long as you access it through there and not through Steam itself.
Silvian_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Col0bok

The same situation for me.

Bought World of Goo yesterday, launched in Windows XP Prof. SP3, got Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) on nv4_disp.dll.

Googled a little bit and found the following:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...xp-552475.html

So it seems that nVidia driver (have GeForce 7600 GS) is the source of problems. Or maybe Steam client...

Upgraded nVidia drivers from 275.33 to 285.58 (the last stable at moment of writing this). Didn't help.

The link above says that rollback to nVidia driver 260.99 helps to solve this issue but it's too boring to check it out for me. Because just launching "X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\world of goo\WorldOfGoo.exe" with Steam client running works for me.

However you wouldn't get Steam achievements running the game like this. But who cares...

Last edited by Col0bok: 11-28-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spellchecking
Col0bok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Silvian_Bruno

Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but I figured I'd elaborate on Col0bok's post: the problem does indeed have to do with Windows XP compatibility, and the 260.99 driver update worked perfectly for me. To save time, here's a link to the XP 32 bit version of the driver in question:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2...ql-driver.html

Hope that helps!
Silvian_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
lozerbick

I'm having the same issue. I can run the .exe file perfectly fine but it will crash if I launch through Steam.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 with the most recent drivers and I really don't want to have to roll them back just to play one game.
lozerbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
lozerbick

I found a simple work-around!

In the Steam library, right click on 'World of Goo' and select Properties. On the General tab, uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game" and click close.

The game runs perfectly for me now.
lozerbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Acid0057

Wow I'll have to try that. I'm the one that posted in Tech Support Forum on the Nvidia 7600 GS crashing. I'm still using 260.99 but would like to upgrade. Thanks for the tips lozerbick!
Acid0057 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > World of Goo