Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
2guapo

About that ending...

Spoilers obviously,

About this cause and effect and restoring balance to the force, Wake had to make a compromise so that his dear Alice would survive the story. So what does he do? He turns Cauldron Lake into Cauldron Ocean!

He had two goals: rescue Alice, stop the presence.

Didn't he royally screw up the second objective? If I didn't know any better, he played right into Jagger's plan, the dark presence would grow in power and Alice would be allowed to live.

That's what I got out of it, and i think it's awesome.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Bite

In all honesty I can say I did not understand the ending at all, and yet I somehow loved it.
Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Deathsyt

As you say, everything has to has to be a compromise. But I took it as his compromise for saving Alice was him taking her place, and his choice to expand the power of the darkness was in return for saving Bright Falls - To bring back all of those that were killed because of his story. Although, he still kind of screwed that up. It seems to me that expanding the power of the darkness basically just gave those that he saved a rather short extension.
Deathsyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Kradath

You can't destroy the darkness, just as you cannot destroy the light. The compromise was that he rescued Alice by trapping himself into the Lake.

Zane made the mistake that he thought he could simply use all his power to change everything to be nice. Wake learned from that and made a compromise. And no, he did not fail, he destroyed the very powerful agent of the darkness being Jagger.
Kradath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
2guapo

"he destroyed the very powerful agent of the darkness being Jagger"

I'm with the guys that say that Jagger is just a skin to wear and after Wake ignited the clicker in her chest, the presence moved onto Nightingale.
2guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Kradath

Yes, but it obviously can not act without a shell. If the shell is so unimportant nothing could stop the presence anyway and everything's doomed from the beginning.

The agent is important for the presence to get a foothold into the real world beyond the depths and now it basically has to start over. Considering that Wake could "revive" everyone by killing Jagger this has to be true, otherwise it would not make sense.

All the remarks in the game talking about the shell are there to show that it is not the Zane's Jagger anymore, that doesn't mean that the shell is not important.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
2guapo

Regardless of it's conduit/shell/skin, it's hard to deny that ulitmately it got what it was asking for. Being an ocean it has now multiplied its reach many times over.

Reminds me of MGS1 where they had you chasing a goal to achieve X but in the end you were actually being used to to achieve Y.

Any which way I look at it, I feel like I've been played here.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
spyrochaete

I'm paraphrasing but in Alan's final speech he talks about the balance between light and dark, easy and difficult, risk and reward. He sacrifices his freedom to give Alice hers.

I took the ending to mean that Alan felt that he was capable of maintaining this balance unlike Tom Zane who only solved the problem temporarily (maybe by destroying\sinking the cabin in Cauldron Lake).

Finally, my assumption of the "it wasn't a lake, it was an ocean" statement was Alan's realization of something that was already there, not something he had just created. Maybe you guys are right that he invented this - it would be consistent with his comments that you can't have light without shadow.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
2guapo

Wow, that's deep Spyro. I like your explanation of "realization" over "creation." Makes it more sinister, makes me feel less like a tool.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
MADDOGGE

I agree. I think his comment about the ocean to me has more to do with with his realization/vocalization that the lake was just the tip of the iceberg so to speak than his claiming he caused it to become an ocean.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Deathsyt

I had been somewhat thinking that, too. But at the same time, since he said there always has to be balance, I felt that his taking Alice's place wasn't really enough to balance out saving the town.
Deathsyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
spyrochaete

I was convinced that Alan just realized the "depth" of the darkness in the lake, but now that I read the comments here I wonder if Alan just created it then and there - more darkness means more light for his wife.

What a great ending.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrochaete View Post
... now that I read the comments here I wonder if Alan just created it then and there - more darkness means more light for his wife.
Interesting thought. A great story should always make one think.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
Kradath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
I agree. I think his comment about the ocean to me has more to do with with his realization/vocalization that the lake was just the tip of the iceberg so to speak than his claiming he caused it to become an ocean.
Now a realize how some come to their view as that was exactly what I thought as well.

Some think here that Wake made it an ocean, I doubt it.

I think it's more Agartha style, that the lake is not the only place where the darkness exists but one of many connected hubs.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake