Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Just Cause series

Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Arend94

Why 5.09 dollar and 6.79 euro?

Just as the title says......

dollar is not more worth then euro, it's the other way around.

Last edited by Arend94: 02-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Pyrohail

Probably a currency exchange rate, or just Steam ing over Europe. I'm probably going to go with a little bit of both.
Pyrohail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Plumb_Drumb

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrohail View Post
Probably a currency exchange rate, or just Steam ing over Europe. I'm probably going to go with a little bit of both.
That's at the heart of the question though, as 1 US Dollar = a bit more than .75 Euro. So, I don't know what "rate" is being used here.

I've seen someone explain why this happens and it has nothing much to do with exchange rates; I just wish I could remember what they said.
Plumb_Drumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
malmute

Banned
How much is the regular price of JC2 in the Eurozone? Now reduce it by 66%. Does it now equal 6.79 Euro?
malmute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumb_Drumb View Post
That's at the heart of the question though, as 1 US Dollar = a bit more than .75 Euro. So, I don't know what "rate" is being used here.

I've seen someone explain why this happens and it has nothing much to do with exchange rates; I just wish I could remember what they said.
Additional VAT in Europe, and the rest is publishers being greedy.
Protoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
ChaosDMNS

Not all countries in Europe pay VAT, so the pricing in Steam is really unfair. I usualy check other places before paying full price for a game on steam. Because of the euro price.

I usualy save about 10-15% on buying it for $ than £
Even if the place I find the game has euro pricing, it's ALWAYS lower than the USD price.

Steam is the only place I know of that doesn't consider exchange rate.
ChaosDMNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
GRS9

Banned
Steam is just bullsh*t in Europe and Australia. They started bullsh*tting us one day, and despite our protests, Steam did nothing, and neither did the European Commission, even though Valve breaks the law.
GRS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Anoniempje

actually. As far as international pricing goes. The don't use exchange rate. the value of the game is based on its location.
If the average wages in a country or continent are higher than another, then all the things people buy are higher as well.

The only "fair" comparison method is calculating how many hours the average person needs to work for a game. So its only fair that in the US where the average wages are lower than EU, the cost of the item is lower aswell. The again, we are paying for 1s and 0s in different places than they are now... so how fair is that?
Anoniempje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Plumb_Drumb

Banned
but how do the wages in a certain area compare to the cost of living in that same area?

So, the USA has a minimum wage but, depending on which state you live in, the cost of living varies greatly.
However, the price of a game doesn't change (not much anyway, you may find individual local retailers selling things for less than another, but that's up to the retailer).
Plumb_Drumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Just Cause series