Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 02-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #61
AgileBeast

Damn just got over 300FPS using Chris' Config, 640x480, Lowest Settings, No hats mod and Tetris Textures.

I feel for you man I use to play on max settings now I play on medium which has a decent 50-60FPS but has bad days when it drops to 30.

Worst part is when it goes crazy and goes up to 200+ and drops to 30 and back up over 200 every second.
AgileBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #62
Jetro89

TF2 as we know it today is basically a whole new game. New game modes, literally tons of new items, weapons, taunts, effects, voice recordings... older computers are simply not going to cope. And there's nothing you can do about it except lower the settings. For all the material you get, you sacrifice something else.

My Dell Inspiron 9400 (with nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS) managed TF2 quite well on high settings when it was released. Suffice to say I had to turn down the resolution and set everything to low-medium to get a similar flowing experience one-two years later.

I also used to whine about this, but just see all the new content as a new game (or new games). It then becomes understandable that the demand for performance will go up.

Last edited by Jetro89: 02-20-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention effects.
Jetro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #63
Eldude95

Banned
I only get 100 on a 560ti, and it drops a bit in firefights. I can run CSS at 300.
Eldude95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #64
Eldude95

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetro89 View Post
TF2 as we know it today is basically a whole new game. New game modes, literally tons of new items, weapons, taunts, effects, voice recordings... older computers are simply not going to cope. And there's nothing you can do about it except lower the settings. For all the material you get, you sacrifice something else.

My Dell Inspiron 9400 (with nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS) managed TF2 quite well on high settings when it was released. Suffice to say I had to turn down the resolution and set everything to low-medium to get a similar flowing experience one-two years later.

I also used to whine about this, but just see all the new content as a new game (or new games). It then becomes understandable that the demand for performance will go up.
Valve can't do their job, so we should just take it ?
Eldude95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #65
DJohns

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetro89 View Post

But Valve never stated to the people who bought it back then that the system requirements would go up, and they haven't bothered changing them either even at this point. When you do this, then of course the customer is totally entitled to have it work on a machine it used to work on.
DJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #66
wetnap

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by codytranum View Post
You do realize that the human eye doesn't detect any differences above 100 FPS, right?
Its not like that, its a continuous feedback loop...from your eyes to your brain to your hand, any "lag" might not be totally consciously perceptible, but may affect your reflexes anyways.
wetnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #67
wetnap

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldude95 View Post
Valve can't do their job, so we should just take it ?
well no, but the fact is that level of hardware is now several times slower than the standard budget rig you have today, so while you think the tf2 min req has gone up, its still far below the requirements of most modern triple A titles out there.

running bf3 on a 7900gs would be like face .
wetnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #68
Eukatheude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomixy View Post
http://i42.tinypic.com/dm7i52.jpg

You have no idea how much I have to do to even get a stable framerate.
I feel your pain, i had to to this a couple of years ago before i changed my GPU and CPU, used to have an X1800 and a pentium D and it ran bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micgao View Post
How is it not the point? With the amount of threads on here complaining, don't you think Valve knows about it? So creating a Steam group/doing whatever isn't going to do anything, what I'm telling you to do (adjusting the graphics) will actually do something. It's not like you can't do anything to improve your FPS.
The point is that Valve is ruining the game. I know how to increase my fps, i just don't accept that i get less than half my usual framerate when the game looks exactly like - or worse than - it used to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanorain View Post
The human eye cannot detect a drop from 60-30 fps you nimwit .
It's not like i notice it because i keep watching the fps counter, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armisael View Post
It sounds to me like the OP hasn't defragged his GCFs, either ever or in a long time.

Download GCFScape and try that. The constant updates fragment the file more quickly than most files, and as we all know, fragmentation is bad for your computer. Defragging (or reinstalling, if you really really really don't want to dl gcfscape) straighten that out.
No, the game is freshly installed, and my pc is perfectly in shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileBeast View Post
Worst part is when it goes crazy and goes up to 200+ and drops to 30 and back up over 200 every second.
That basically depends on where you're looking.
Eukatheude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #69
The Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytranum View Post
You do realize that the human eye doesn't detect any differences above 100 FPS, right?
Actually, it's more like 20FPS.

I've always run TF2 at about 50FPS and any problems I have are/were either Cow Mangler related or due to connection issues mostly.
The Medic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #70
Dinosaur Rex

Banned
According to this thread, OP has robot eyes that can detect variances between the refresh rate above 60Hz
Dinosaur Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #71
Hammer Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lembit View Post
Open thread.

"I only get 15 fps, so you have no right to complain" - SPUF
Yup, pretty much. It's funny how they wouldn't even realise that they of all people would need optimisation more than anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic View Post
lolwut.
Hammer Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #72
Eukatheude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic View Post

I've always run TF2 at about 50FPS and any problems I have are/were either Cow Mangler related or due to connection issues mostly.
It's not about perception. When under 60 fps, source games have input lag. A lot.
Eukatheude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #73
Ditocoaf

Besides: That whole "The human eye/brain can't perceive frames-per-second faster than 20" is false. That's what they thought when they were first developing video, which is why standard film is 24 FPS. But since then, they've done actual tests, and we CAN perceive the difference between FPS up to and past 150. It's gradual, it gets harder and harder to notice the higher it goes, but most people definitely can tell the difference between 20 and 60. It depends on how quickly the object you're "looking" at on film is moving, as well. Faster-moving objects require faster framerates to avoid "flicker" in the illusion of movement.

People who go around saying "The human eye can't process frames-per-second faster than 20" are repeating something they heard from someone who heard it from someone, circulating old information that has long since been discarded by science. Just like that whole "we only use 10% of our brains" statistic -- it's interesting, which is why we keep sharing it with each other, but it's long since been disregarded.

Last edited by Ditocoaf: 02-21-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Ditocoaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2