Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Unreal series

Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
draelas

which to buy ut2k4 or ut3

i dont want to buy one and find out no one plays it anymore.

which one would be the better choice based on player base.

ive played 2k4 a long time ago and liked it, but obviously graphically ut3 is the way to go.

some pros and cons of both would help, thx!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
aximon

You already narrowed it down to the player base, so ut04 is the clear winner. I never have problems finding something fun to do in UT-land, but maybe a site like game-monitor.com can show you better how populated the servers are.

Still, ut3 is very nice to look at, and worth the money, even if it’s just for some single player action and only occasional multiplayer matches.
aximon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Whippersnapper

If you enjoyed UT 2004, then go with UT 2004. There are still populated Onslaught and Invasion Monster Hunt RPG servers. At least UT 2004 was alive at one time, but UT3 was pretty much a stillborn. UT3...it's a sad story.
Whippersnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
jbrown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippersnapper View Post
If you enjoyed UT 2004, then go with UT 2004. There are still populated Onslaught and Invasion Monster Hunt RPG servers. At least UT 2004 was alive at one time, but UT3 was pretty much a stillborn. UT3...it's a sad story.
I've not had any problems finding people to play with on either game, and both are great and fun to play.
jbrown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
BmB23

Here's a simple question that will resolve it for you:

Do I like graphics or features?
BmB23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
ws.iono

UT2k4, arguably more diverse (and subsequently larger) player base. Movement mechanics for either game can be an acquired taste. There are more game-modes with UT2k4, though as far as populations in game modes outside of DM, i'm unable to say, and do not wish to presume.

UT3, Less floaty, faster ground speed, and arguably a faster / more intense game. A melding of UT99 and 2k4 movement mechanics. There are populations frequently on the Epic hosted servers, Warfare and Greed, and i have rarely had difficulty finding a game for DM (North America).

I would suggest both games, personally, as they each offer something absent in the other.

Though, i've been playing a lot more UT3 than 2k4, personally, recently.

The community is small, and if you add people, you can play pick up duels if you want, and there's many a friendly who you might encounter frequently.

In summation, PURELY SPEAKING, UT2k4 likely has more active players, circumstantially proportional to variety of game modes.

UT3 is not necessarily LACKING in players, though...
ws.iono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
dylstew

I have both,and for some reason I like palying 3 more but 2004 has way more features and it's easier to setup a server
dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Bloodshot12

I would actually recommend UT99 over UT3. UT3 has a similar feel to 99, but less players and the graphics are a little overdone (Color grading everywhere, the same bumpmapping on everything and too much HDR) UT99 and UT2004 by far have the most mods and more players, but UT99 has the best feel and music. 2004 has a lot of content though, Onslaught is especially good.
Bloodshot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Sakarah

UT2004 of course. UT3 has even less players than UT99.
Sakarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
ulululululululu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws.iono View Post
UT2k4, arguably more diverse (and subsequently larger) player base. Movement mechanics for either game can be an acquired taste. There are more game-modes with UT2k4, though as far as populations in game modes outside of DM, i'm unable to say, and do not wish to presume.

UT3, Less floaty, faster ground speed, and arguably a faster / more intense game. A melding of UT99 and 2k4 movement mechanics. There are populations frequently on the Epic hosted servers, Warfare and Greed, and i have rarely had difficulty finding a game for DM (North America).

I would suggest both games, personally, as they each offer something absent in the other.

Though, i've been playing a lot more UT3 than 2k4, personally, recently.

The community is small, and if you add people, you can play pick up duels if you want, and there's many a friendly who you might encounter frequently.

In summation, PURELY SPEAKING, UT2k4 likely has more active players, circumstantially proportional to variety of game modes.

UT3 is not necessarily LACKING in players, though...
This.

and activate the text to speech, you'll pee your pants laughing at some of the fsadfjask;fduafoipaufwaskgvhapsdghaas going on
ulululululululu is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Unreal series