Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
lapemis

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ckm4n View Post
i bought a razer imperator 2012 for 58 and the freaking mouse is awesome also razer is a bit expensive but you will feel the quality imo
I agree, I have 3 Razer mouses and im loving them all, one of em is 2 years old and still going strong. I also use the Razer Nostromo ^^
lapemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Vonje

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Nakedgun View Post
Its not software its in the hardware i.e the sensor jus like Angle snapping on the early G400 the only way to remove it was for Logitech to release the V2 with a slightly different sensor.
http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=2024663
I'm using the G500 right now, and there doesn't seem to be acceleration at all. The cursor always ends up at the same spot using different speeds. I am not using a pad though.
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
99Reaper99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejayel View Post
Buying razer is the equivalent of buying a bottom shelf walmart mouse, painting it black and putting a name on it. The only reason it gained any ground is because (for whatever reason) when you slap the word "gaming" on it, people eat that up like hotcakes.
Well obviously you had a bad experience with it. Out of all the Razer products I've owned as well as Steelseries and a few others, Razer is by far my favorite. If anything, Logitech lately has been slipping a lot in terms of quality of goods and customer support.

--------------
Some good terms to know:
DPI:
Just sensitivity basically. Also known as Pixels per inch. The higher the DPI, the more dots/pixels it will rush across per inch.

Polling Rate:
If you have invested in a high resolution mouse, adjusting the USB polling rate is a common trick to utilise the added precision it brings. The polling rate (or report rate) determines how often the mouse sends information to your computer. Measured in Hz, this setting equates to lag time (in ms).

By default, the USB polling rate is set at 125hz. The table below represents combinations of Hz values and their corresponding delay time:
Hz ms
1000 1
500 2
250 4
125 8
100 10

If the polling rate is set at 125 Hz, the mouse cursor can only be updated every 8 milliseconds. In situations where lag is critical (for example games), it is useful to decrease this value to as little as possible. Increasing the polling interval will improve precision at the tradeoff of using more CPU resources, therefore care should be taken when adjusting this value.

I've heard good things about the G500, so no problem there. When Iw as looking at keyboards in 2011ish, I remember hearing issues concerning quality and other things about the G110 keyboard, so I got the Razer Lycosa instead and the Razer Lachesis.
99Reaper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Microshocky

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonje View Post
I'm using the G500 right now, and there doesn't seem to be acceleration at all. The cursor always ends up at the same spot using different speeds. I am not using a pad though.
There is. Some users notice it more than others. For the short time I had the G500, I hated it. It was so imprecise for me versus the G5 I had before.

I eventually got the Cooler Master Storm Spawn.
Microshocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #20
R

g400
razer deathadder
zowie am
CM spawn

I had a g700 that uses the same sensor as the g500, I purchased a deathadder soon after and preferring it more.
R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #21
XxaP

I really like my R.A.T. 9 by Saitek, but it's wireless so everyone dismisses them. My k/d ratio might hover around 30-40% but it certainly isn't my mouses fault!

One thing to consider is a better quality mouse usually feels better to use. With balanced weights, nicer materials, etc. the experience is completely enhanced - especially if you use a pc alot.
XxaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
bejayel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxaP View Post
I really like my R.A.T. 9 by Saitek, but it's wireless so everyone dismisses them. My k/d ratio might hover around 30-40% but it certainly isn't my mouses fault!

One thing to consider is a better quality mouse usually feels better to use. With balanced weights, nicer materials, etc. the experience is completely enhanced - especially if you use a pc alot.
How long have you had it? I liked my RAT7 for a couple months. Now I don't even want to sell it to someone because I know that if I sold it to them I would be ripping them off.
bejayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
tr0n187

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejayel View Post
How long have you had it? I liked my RAT7 for a couple months. Now I don't even want to sell it to someone because I know that if I sold it to them I would be ripping them off.
This.

I have a RAT9 and I did like it for a few months, it had a few things that kind of irritated me, but it seems like lately it's getting worse. The drivers are garbage, there are several times where I will lose an axis during games. I will either have to clean the laser or frantically move it around until the horizontal axis works again.

I'm ready to get rid of it, but like bejayel said, its pretty much ripping someone else off. what a waste of $150. Well, I'm going back to my MX 5500 revolution mouse (came combo with my keyboard) best damn mouse I've ever owned.
tr0n187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark5005 View Post
I dont quite understand the concept of a "mechanical keyboard" besides the silly click click when typing. Any chance you can elaborate as to why I should spend a bit more for a mechanical?
Mechanical keyboards give varying levels of tactile feedback. The keys also "feel" better when used. They are also supposed to last longer as well.

There are different types of mechanical keyboards, but the arguably best for gaming is any keyboard with the Cherry MX red switches. Look for those.
madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #25
JamesGould72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Reaper99 View Post
Well obviously you had a bad experience with it. Out of all the Razer products I've owned as well as Steelseries and a few others, Razer is by far my favorite. If anything, Logitech lately has been slipping a lot in terms of quality of goods and customer support.

--------------
Some good terms to know:
DPI:
Just sensitivity basically. Also known as Pixels per inch. The higher the DPI, the more dots/pixels it will rush across per inch.

Polling Rate:
If you have invested in a high resolution mouse, adjusting the USB polling rate is a common trick to utilise the added precision it brings. The polling rate (or report rate) determines how often the mouse sends information to your computer. Measured in Hz, this setting equates to lag time (in ms).

By default, the USB polling rate is set at 125hz. The table below represents combinations of Hz values and their corresponding delay time:
Hz ms
1000 1
500 2
250 4
125 8
100 10

If the polling rate is set at 125 Hz, the mouse cursor can only be updated every 8 milliseconds. In situations where lag is critical (for example games), it is useful to decrease this value to as little as possible. Increasing the polling interval will improve precision at the tradeoff of using more CPU resources, therefore care should be taken when adjusting this value.

I've heard good things about the G500, so no problem there. When Iw as looking at keyboards in 2011ish, I remember hearing issues concerning quality and other things about the G110 keyboard, so I got the Razer Lycosa instead and the Razer Lachesis.
I second this message.
JamesGould72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
cr1515

The keyboard is awful, you are paying top dollar for a bottom end cheap plastic rubber dome keyboard. You could get a decent mechanical keyboard for about another 10 bucks

If you don't like the click (I love it) then go for brown or red switches

"gaming" keyboards have been invented to try and sell you something for a lot more than it's worth by telling you you need something you don't, and a half decent mech will improve your typing accuracy. It won't make you win every round of BF3 like Razer like to tell you, but it will make your interface with you computer more pleasant
cr1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #27
JamesGould72

G110 is rubber dome keyboard. The asking price is way too high for that type of keyboard. In fact I find most Logitech stuff more fluff than real function. Over hyped, and brand name up charge.

Go mechanical.
JamesGould72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #28
dosbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapemis View Post
I also use the Razer Nostromo ^^
Good call.

On the mouse front, I'm a long-time fan of the Logitech MX5xx, G5 and G400 series. The shape is comfortable, the buttons well placed, and their support has been good when I've needed it.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
borg_7_of_9

OP logitech mice are fairly solid in my book and there keyboards are fine too for non mechanical my G15 still feels good after some 7 odd years of abuse.

As for the R.A.T mice hmm I like mine (7) work's a treat and the software has never missed a beat look's like some ppl ether need to update there software or look for other issues that may be the problem.. FTW the first release software was a little buggy..

OH and if you don't need a keyboard take a very hard look at the Razer Nostromo it's a dame fine peace of hardware, plenty of programmable key's and it's comfortable during long session's (Only if I had this before I wouldn't bother with a full gaming KB)
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #30
XxaP

yes, the R.A.T. 7 has a tracking issue, where if you lift it off the surface it might loose tracking for a sec - corrected with the RAT9. Also some people have had a 'wobble' with the R.A.T. mice, this is easily corrected by loosening the grip on the right, placing the mouse firmly on a flat surface and retightening it.

I heard the first drivers were shaky too, but they had a new software up pretty quick.

Sorry to necro-post, but I really like my mouse!
XxaP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems