Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #436
effbee23

ATI Radeon X1200

I have to admit that I'm a little confused after reading all the topics in the forum for integrated graphics. I try to run Magicka on an on-board ATI Radeon X1200 and keep getting the error regarding Direct3D. I use the latest gfx-driver and also followed suggestions to (re-)install XNA and .Net frameworks. So simple question: is there any chance to get the game running on this GFX adapter or should I give up?

Thank you...
effbee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #437
PS_

Quote:
Originally Posted by effbee23 View Post
I try to run Magicka on an on-board ATI Radeon X1200 and keep getting the error regarding Direct3D.
Hi. And no, I'm sorry effbee23.
The X1200 doesn't support shader 3, as it's a DirectX 9.0b card. Would need to be 9.0c. As this is hardware related, there is no driver that can enable this. You need both better (much more powerful) and newer hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_units
Quote:
IGP (X12xx, 21xx)Main article: Radeon R420
All models support DirectX 9.0b and OpenGL 2.0
Based on Radeon X700
PS_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #438
Dead Lee

What I would have done

Hi Paradox, I love you and I love your game, but when you ask what I would have done, yes, I would have made allowing as many people to play the game top priority. It's an excellent game and I want as many people to play with as possible.
Dead Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #439
Dosbilliam

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzzNinja View Post
You're absolutely correct -- while not meant for it, IGP chips can play many modern games!

I can list off a few myself:

Oblivion, Unreal Engine games, C4 games, Source anything, CryENGINE 3 games (Crysis, etc), XreaL-based games (these are very intensive), many XNA games (which is why when I saw the demo running slow on my 4200 I was like "???"), id Tech 4 games (I wouldn't be surprised if Black Ops could run on this machine), the list goes on and on...

Don't associate IGP chips with little ability to play games, because it has been proven time and time again that it is perfectly doable.
Don't forget Mass Effect, Dead Island, Portal 2, Serious Sam 3, Fallout 3 and New Vegas...my ATI 4250 runs all of those decently, even though Dead Island is a bit choppy...the only game I have trouble with is Homefront.

Aside from that, I would like to point out that as many people have said here, getting the content to WORK instead of adding new stuff is a poor strategy...the DLC won't sell when the base games runs like crap.

Last edited by Dosbilliam: 01-28-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Dosbilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #440
SneakyJunky

Paradox screwed the pooch on this one. This game is unplayable. I will not even try to fix the multiple problems I have encountered for they are too many and I never know when a new one will pop up. I'm done with this company. I'll buy games from developers who release games when they are ready for the audience. GUYS LETS NEVER EVER BUY A SINGLE GAME FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN. PLEASE REMEMBER THIS NAME: PARADOX.
SneakyJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #441
SneakyJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosbilliam View Post
Don't forget Mass Effect, Dead Island, Portal 2, Serious Sam 3, Fallout 3 and New Vegas...my ATI 4250 runs all of those decently, even though Dead Island is a bit choppy...the only game I have trouble with is Homefront.

Aside from that, I would like to point out that as many people have said here, getting the content to WORK instead of adding new stuff is a poor strategy...the DLC won't sell when the base games runs like crap.
Dude just never ever buy a game from them again, they should learn from their mistakes. I'm telling all my contacts that this company releases flawed games. Also, post something on reddit. If it ever goes on sale, i know i will warn all players about this before they go buying this game. Tons of peoples laptops meet the requirements and yet the game fails to deliver.
SneakyJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #442
HereticX

Well, i do all my gaming on my $350 laptop because i cant affort anything else. I'm sure alot of gamers are like me. I'm very disappointed this game wont run correctly. If i was a game developer, i would make sure that my game ran smoothly on even the cheapest laptop so i have more gamers buying my game. Thankfully i got this game fairly cheap through a trade, so not much of a loss. I'm un-installing the game now and will probably never be able to play it. I will never buy another Paradox game in the future because i think its stupid to not program for IGP. Especially since this game will look and play just fine on most laptops if it was programmed correctly.
HereticX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #443
Armor_Biff

I was disappointed to only get 30fps on my new laptop with 800x600 resolution (anything higher would drop the fps even more) and other settings at medium. So I uninstalled it, and will only play it on my desktop.

Laptop specs:

i7 2670Q @ 2,2 GHz
Windows 7 64-bit
6 GB RAM
Nvidia GT 550M 1GB

Edit: it seems the game was using the integrated GPU by default. After changing to Nvidia, I got 45 fps at 1440 x 900 resolution.

Last edited by Armor_Biff: 05-08-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Armor_Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #444
jhaggarty

Question

Hey, i have a bit of strange problem, because at first it appears that my laptop can handle the game (lowest graphics, lowest resolution etc) quite smoothly.

The problem is that at a certain part of the game (just after where you find the sword of masters... i forgot the chapter/mission name) it fails to load anything. The whole screen appears light blue apart from the whole god-beams light effect thingy.

The game itself is still going on in the background, so obviously this is a problem as i really enjoyed what i've played of it so far and i think it's hilarious.

If someone could help that would be smashing!
jhaggarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #445
PS_

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaggarty View Post
The problem is that at a certain part of the game (just after where you find the sword of masters... i forgot the chapter/mission name) it fails to load anything. The whole screen appears light blue apart from the whole god-beams light effect thingy.
Sadly, this is a known problem. Only seen when using Intel based graphics. (below game specs) A few Intel solutions aren't affected by this, but most are. Among those are Core i3 and i5. You will need better hardware or a driver update from Intel that fix this issue. Even drastic below specs nVidia or ATI graphics never "draws a blank" like this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...light=friendly
PS_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #446
jhaggarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS_ View Post
Sadly, this is a known problem. Only seen when using Intel based graphics. (below game specs) A few Intel solutions aren't affected by this, but most are. Among those are Core i3 and i5. You will need better hardware or a driver update from Intel that fix this issue. Even drastic below specs nVidia or ATI graphics never "draws a blank" like this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...light=friendly
Well... bother. I'll have a looksy at the drivers, but other than that it's pretty much up the gyppo Thanks anyway, it's good to actually find an answer!
jhaggarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #447
Dosbilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyJunky View Post
Dude just never ever buy a game from them again, they should learn from their mistakes. I'm telling all my contacts that this company releases flawed games. Also, post something on reddit. If it ever goes on sale, i know i will warn all players about this before they go buying this game. Tons of peoples laptops meet the requirements and yet the game fails to deliver.
That's what I plan on doing, and what DLC I don't have isn't going to be bought either...
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #448
Eorlas

For those still griping about the IGP problems, do yourself a favour and take a look at a standard full GPU and then check out a photo of your IGP (I won't encourage you to open your laptop and see for yourself.)

The fact of the matter is there are millions and billions of transistors and other tiny parts that they can fit on a full sized GPU but don't exist in nearly as high a number on an IGP.

Like they said, big companies have tons of programmers and some of them will spend their work days modifying the game to be optimized for performance across the entire range of supported systems.

Just because the company doesn't focus on optimization doesn't necessarily make them bad. They're up front about the fact that IGPs aren't generally supported, and they still make the game playable for a general range of other cards.
Eorlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #449
Dosbilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox__rep View Post
Integrated graphic cards FAQ

Q: But I can can run Starcraft 2! Why not a little game like Magicka?
A: The fine folks at blizzard have dozens and dozens of engineers who've consciously made the effort to optimize the game to run on low end machines.

The arrowhead team, while also fine, consist of 7 developers. Of which 2 are programmers.

When the choice came between additional gameplay features and optimize performance on IGP's we chose the former.

What would you have chosen in our position?

Personally, I would have chosen the option that allows people to enjoy the game as it should be, not adding even more stuff on top of bug-infested or poorly-optimized gold.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #450
FC360

Well this explains the lag I'm getting on my laptop which is silly as my laptop is above the minimum requirements and can play games that require a more powerful computer then Magicka. When the game says IGP what exactly does that mean? I have a laptop which has 2 graphics cards, 1 is the graphics on the intel cpu and the other is a dedicated ATI card. Now Magicka seems to struggle on the ATI card which is a Radeon HD 5470 so it's above the minimum specs which is a little confusing. Running the game on full screen gives me 20-30fps while running in lowest res on window mode only gives me 40 fps, SC2 gives me 100fps, borderlands gives me 60fps, minecraft gives me over 60fps, in fact most of my games give me way more FPS then Magicka can on the same card. I'm just baffled by the choice they made, It's even more baffling if you think about what type of gaming ppl are moving to now, casual gaming on mobile devices. These tablets and phones use IGP graphics, although sure some have dedicated but this means Magicka will never be able to be played on these devices which is just sad
FC360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka