Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #31
PS_

@m3th2

Well, I'm not sure it's not possible. But I have never seen anyone having this "run on wrong graphics" without also having an error report. A report stating something about not finding a suitable graphics.

Blank error reports have mostly been in connection with tweak programs running, killing the game on launch. Or some trouble related to windows installation not being correct.
PS_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #32
Vegeta10000

at my friend the game crashed...

he has a intel chip Card =)

I try to play with my Account !!!
Vegeta10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #33
francis917

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnonUesr View Post
Greetings!

There seem to be a tons of reports from people who can't get Magicka to open (flash then crash, etc.). Some may be legitimate bug issues; mine most definitely was not.

For some, the problem seems to be dependent software; for others, graphics cards that won't run the program. I had the same problem with my laptop, couldn't fix it using any of the solutions posted here. I've got an NVidia GT 330M graphics card; should run the program, according to specs, but for some reason the program wouldn't open. I realized that NVidia Optimus may be choosing to use on-board graphics, since Magicka isn't loaded into its "known executables" by default. Sure enough, I added Magicka.exe to the Optimus list of software requiring the graphics card, and it works like a charm.

Instructions: If you're using a newer laptop that you know has an NVidia graphics card, try checking your Optimus settings. Open the "NVIDIA Control Panel" from your start menu. On the lefthand side, under "Select a task...", open the "3D Settings" tree, and select "Manage 3D Settings". Now on the righthand panel, click the "Program Settings" tab. Under "1. Select a program...", click "Add", navigate to your \Steam\steamapps\common\magicka directory and select "Magicka.exe". Under "2. Select the preferred graphics...", choose "High-performance NVIDIA processor", then (VERY IMPORTANT) click "Apply" in the bottom right.

Good luck, and enjoy!
I currently have this problem (Nvidia 310m, lenovo z560 [i5 ver])
I tried to follow this guide however 2 says "specify the settings for this program" and it just is not working for me. The game places but textures still blink and I get "no card found"

Error report says
Quote:
Version: 1.4.0.3
Thread: Level Hasher
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SteamWrapper.SteamApps.BIsSubscribedApp(UInt32 appID)
at Magicka.DRM.HackHelper.CheckLicense(LevelNode iLevel)
at Magicka.Levels.Campaign.LevelManager.ComputeHashes ()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context( Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Last edited by francis917: 07-03-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #34
RawstBlackDrago

I love you. NUFF SAID

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #35
Buck90wl

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis917 View Post
I currently have this problem (Nvidia 310m, lenovo z560 [i5 ver])
I tried to follow this guide however 2 says "specify the settings for this program" and it just is not working for me. The game places but textures still blink and I get "no card found"

Error report says
Verify the game cache as it looks like it can't find a level.
Buck90wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #36
Wall-nut

Quote:
Greetings!

There seem to be a tons of reports from people who can't get Magicka to open (flash then crash, etc.). Some may be legitimate bug issues; mine most definitely was not.

For some, the problem seems to be dependent software; for others, graphics cards that won't run the program. I had the same problem with my laptop, couldn't fix it using any of the solutions posted here. I've got an NVidia GT 330M graphics card; should run the program, according to specs, but for some reason the program wouldn't open. I realized that NVidia Optimus may be choosing to use on-board graphics, since Magicka isn't loaded into its "known executables" by default. Sure enough, I added Magicka.exe to the Optimus list of software requiring the graphics card, and it works like a charm.

Instructions: If you're using a newer laptop that you know has an NVidia graphics card, try checking your Optimus settings. Open the "NVIDIA Control Panel" from your start menu. On the lefthand side, under "Select a task...", open the "3D Settings" tree, and select "Manage 3D Settings". Now on the righthand panel, click the "Program Settings" tab. Under "1. Select a program...", click "Add", navigate to your \Steam\steamapps\common\magicka directory and select "Magicka.exe". Under "2. Select the preferred graphics...", choose "High-performance NVIDIA processor", then (VERY IMPORTANT) click "Apply" in the bottom right.

Good luck, and enjoy!
This solved my issue, thanks!
Wall-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #37
SneakyJunky

Thumbs down

Quote:
Greetings!

Good luck, and enjoy!
The best solution i've found so far, is to uninstall this game and pretend i never wasted my life on it. If the game doesn't work, don't publish it. Never buy from this company ever again.
SneakyJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #38
Armor_Biff

Thanks !! I went from 30fps at 800x600 to 45fps at 1440x900.

+1 rep to OP
Armor_Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #39
kkcheung

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyJunky View Post
The best solution i've found so far, is to uninstall this game and pretend i never wasted my life on it. If the game doesn't work, don't publish it. Never buy from this company ever again.
Magicka may not be optimize to a level like other AAA games.
BUT, this specific problem is more the fault of Nvidia.
Nvidia optimus is not "smart" enough to determine that I am running a game.
Smart is not even correct, since Optimus relies on a "game list". if its not on the list, you will have to manually set it.

You as a consumer, should know what you are buying (Laptop with Optimus technology), and understand that certain configuration maybe required for task like gaming.

Hate when people blame others without confirming who to blame or complain to.
kkcheung is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka