Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
pasza89

Multiplayer problem

Hey there, me and my friend got the game today. We both have Steel Storm: Burning Retribution in our library (without DLCs) and we would like to play multiplayer, but:
- when one of us hosts the game it isn't visible in server browser - when we enter host's IP address, it brings us to console screen and nothing happens
- we can't join any public server thats being displayed (there are 7 total atm) - it says that we need additional content to join (plus, the only DLC on Steam is weapon pack)

Are we doing something wrong or it just doesn't work?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
zratchet

Steel Storm Volunteer Moderator
1) The host needs to forward port 26000 on the router (through the router's GUI)
2) Currently we only have enough servers to host DLC-based public servers ourselves.

Last edited by motorsep: 02-01-2012 at 08:56 AM.
zratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
asdfghjklqwerty

I'm reporting the same issue.
A friend of mine started the server but I'm unable to see it on the masterlist. Both have the port 26000 opened, and if I try to join through IP it stays on the console forever.

edit:
oh wait! I had a stroke of genius and I typed in console

"connect IP#:26000" and I joined the game.

and since I'm writing this in real time, it just disconnected with the reason...
Quote:
The Courtyard
--> client to server keepalive
<-- server to client keepalive
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 258 (texture textures/env/skylc_lf) has no vertices, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 258 (texture textures/env/skylc_lf) has no triangles, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 259 (texture textures/env/skylc_rt) has no vertices, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 259 (texture textures/env/skylc_rt) has no triangles, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 260 (texture textures/env/skylc_ft) has no vertices, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 260 (texture textures/env/skylc_ft) has no triangles, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 261 (texture textures/env/skylc_bk) has no vertices, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 261 (texture textures/env/skylc_bk) has no triangles, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 262 (texture textures/env/skylc_up) has no vertices, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 262 (texture textures/env/skylc_up) has no triangles, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 263 (texture textures/env/skylc_dn) has no vertices, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadFaces: surface 263 (texture textures/env/skylc_dn) has no triangles, ignoring
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadTriangles: models/objects/containers/barrel0la_chull_45.bsp has triangles but no vertexes, broken compiler, ignoring problem
Mod_Q3BSP_LoadTriangles: models/objects/containers/barrel0la_chull.bsp has triangles but no vertexes, broken compiler, ignoring problem
models/objects/roadblocks/roadblockl_dropped_chull_45.bsp: could not load texture "textures/level3/models/chull"
Server disconnected
Edit2: He started a dedicated server and we're able to play, I can see the server on the masterlist and everything goes fine

Last edited by asdfghjklqwerty: 02-19-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: hope this will help you
asdfghjklqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
zratchet

So are you good or do you still need something answered? The server connection will have a bug or 2 once in a while...
Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
BassPwr

Need the server.cfg line for game difficulty

Local host from in game is done via button to select between arcade (easy) and classic (hard).

I need the line for game difficulty to add it to the server.cfg so I can run a dedicated server for coop. It defaults to arcade but I want it to be in classic for a harder challenge with a friend.

I cannot find this out and tried a lot of variations.

Please help.
BassPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
asdfghjklqwerty

Another thing we'd like to ask is: are difficulties enabled in MP games? If so, what is the command line to change the difficulty and the friendly fire options for a dedicated server?

Also: I found a little bug (I guess it is, maybe is just a personal issue); I joined the server and then hit Shift+Tab to show the steam overlay, once back to the game I was unable to move (either with the controller and the keyboard) and all I could do was to switch camera and turn myself around, I couldn't fire or anything else. To fix it I had to leave and rejoin the server
asdfghjklqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
We recommended to disable Steam overlay at the very beginning after the release of the game. It might be some issue between the engine and the Steam client. Something we can't fix.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
daemon_kia

skill 0 is easy
skill 1 is hard

you have to restart the map to make it take effect
daemon_kia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
BassPwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon_kia View Post
skill 0 is easy
skill 1 is hard

you have to restart the map to make it take effect
already tried that (after finding it on the darkplaces engine faq) in server.cfg, but with the dedicated server listed in the server browser, it still said Arcade, and not classic, set at 1. Unless it always says arcade because there is an error with the correct server info being shown by the server browser.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
BassPwr

To follow up, I can report that setting a local host in-game server to hard (classic) still reports the server as being arcade in the server browser (the same happens for a dedicated server), so it must be one of these 2 or both of these reasons for this ( ? ):

1) the game has not been programmed so that it reports the correct difficulty of the server in the server browser

or

2) a multiplayer coop server is set at a base difficulty of arcade, and then based on how many players are in the server, the health of the enemies increase such as in how other games work.

if it is 2, then will the skill 0 or skill 1 line added to the server.cfg have any control at all?

the only reference to difficulty was in the user profile cfg with a line called:

seta "profileskill" "1"

I assume this is just for single player.

Some clarity from the devs is strongly welcomed.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
zratchet

This issue will be looked into but we do not currently have an ETA.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution