Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)

Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
PKA

CSS Dedicated - Won't update VAC - ports needed

Hi I have this Linux (Ubuntu) server which plays the server perfectly, but it CANT update VAC, which I need.

I have to set the ports manually (Or IPs with full port access) I need a range of ports for this.
As I can update VAC by Disabling the Firewall, but as we all know, is a bad idea.

But I can update VAC, enable the firewall again, but next time it searches for IP it doesn't work

Message I get

Code:
Could not establish connection to Steam servers.
>status
hostname: HOSTNAME-HERE
version : 1.0.0.70/21 4833 insecure (secure mode enabled, disconnected from Steam3)
udp/ip  : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:27015
map     : zm_lila_panic at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
players : 0 (16 max)
Script I use to start the server
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Starting Cs:Source Server"
screen -A -m -d -S css-server ./srcds_run -console -game cstrike +ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -port 27015 -sport 27016 +map zm_lila_panic +maxplayers 16 -autoupdate
It runs perfectly, but need disabling firewall to be able to update VAC.

Which ports or IPs do I need to add for this to be possible?

Many thanks

P.S. I have searched the net for this, and I have even tried to look at your FAQ but no help there -.-
Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
PKA

SOLUTION

I did go to my very strict firewall added

27015:27050 TCP in/out
27015:27050 UDP in/out

For people who doesn't know what : means, its from 27015 TO 27050 incl. all in between

On some routers/firewalls you can use - instead of :

Everything works now, of what I can see
PKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
M33CROB

A couple of notes.....

"-console" can be safely removed from your command line. This option is for Winblows machines and is irrelevant in *nix.

"-sport" can be safely removed from your command line. This is an option for Half Life server (Gold Src games) and is not recognized by SRCDS.

Sometimes wonky things will happen depending on the order of your start up options. For example, for the longest time, -autoupdate would not work if entered after the map name.

My suggestion (not required) for the start up line would be:

screen -A -m -d -S css-server ./srcds_run -game cstrike -autoupdate -ip x.x.x.x -port 27015 +map zm_lila_panic +maxplayers 16

As for firewall settings, SRCDS uses:

UDP 27015 this is the port which incoming connections will allot players to connect, and the server browser will query the server.

TCP 27015 this is the port used for incoming RCON communications. This is only needed if you are using a tool such as SourceBans.

UDP 27020 this port is used for SourceTV (if enabled). You can add "-nohltv" to the start up command to disable this port.

UDP 27005 is used for OUTGOING client traffic.

SRCDS will periodically open other higher numbered ports temporarily for outgoing traffic. Since you are using Ubuntu, I'm assuming that you are using IPTables and it is possible that you may need to allow established connection. The following command may be handy...

iptables -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

if that doesn't work, you can try

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

(of course substitute "-A" with "-I INPUT X" if needed, x being the rule number)
M33CROB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)