Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 01-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
BuilderFTW

Thumbs up Multiplayer Let's Plays - BuilderFTW

Hello Steam forums,
I am announcing my new multiplayer let's plays on You Tube

Why should you watch to multiplayer let's plays?
These games are played by intelligent human beings, which causes the game to be much more interesting (imo). First of all combat is much more fun and intense, it is done by people who know what they are doing and who have nearly equal sized forces; consequently combat becomes a challenge rather than a chore. Also in multiplayer you must rely on your own Civilization to do what ever you want, you cannot sell inordinate amount of luxuries to get gold and spam research agreements to get technology. Multiplayer is a totally different game and after playing a lot of it I find I have a hard time going back to single player because it provides a challenge in a way single player does not. Please check out my first video to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CivBuilderFTW?feature=mhee

Please tell me what you like and how I can get better
-The games are played at 2x speed to make them snappier, I am considering moving to 1.5x speed to make them easier to understand
- All videos come with a lovely voice over from yours truly to explain what happening and more general multiplayer info.

Thank you all, and happy watching
BuilderFTW
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
CanuckSoldier

And you can follow the interesting discussion on these MP Civ5 videos in the CivPlayers Civ5 strategy section here

http://www.civplayers.com/index.php?...mf&board=140.0

CS
CanuckSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
BuilderFTW

New CTON(ffa) game is up check it out for some super embarkation ninja sneak attacks!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51wXDl0D5gg
BuilderFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
derk

uhm, whats to see really, if there are no animations, you cant even see the moves the units do, only just endless latency and dropping to see ?

This is not meant to troll, but last time ive looked, multiplayer kinda failed in the "there is something too see" department

but hey, gl with promoting ur games, always nice to see ppl enthusiastic about a game i love it too, but the multi is kinda meh to me
derk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
BuilderFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
uhm, whats to see really, if there are no animations, you cant even see the moves the units do, only just endless latency and dropping to see ?

This is not meant to troll, but last time ive looked, multiplayer kinda failed in the "there is something too see" department

but hey, gl with promoting ur games, always nice to see ppl enthusiastic about a game i love it too, but the multi is kinda meh to me

You can in fact get a lot from the multiplayer department,and in my opinion more than you get from single player. I am not sure how much you have played Civ5(I am at 1041.8 hours currently), but the more you play the more you realize that the ai is incompetent at decision making through combat, economy(including unwillingness to spend gold), allowing the sale of luxuries for WAY too much money, and its inability to use strong strategies in competing with you. The only way that the game becomes more difficult after prince is that the ai "cheats"(recieves bonuses above what the player gets). The more you progress up the difficulty levels (meaning empreror/immortal/ deity), the more you realize that single player is more about abusing the ai into doing stupid things to waste its bonuses rather than building an empire. In the end single player involves a lot of luck of how the ai happens to behave in a certain game, and in my opinion gives little satisfaction of victory, because you have just outplayed a unintelligent program.

On the other hand in multiplayer there is no ai whatsoever. You compete against people who know what they are doing, to win you must truly build an empire which can stand the test of real people and not algorithms.

Yes there are problems with multiplayer, such as lag, drops etc. but in the end, I believe competing with real people who pose real challenges make up for these problems.

If you dislike watching my videos that is fine, I can totally understand that. Imo they are pretty slow to watch something you yourself are not controlling. But please don't let that tarnish your ideas of what multiplayer can be and is. If you get tired of single player please give multiplayer a shot.

Thanks for your feedback,
BuilderFTW

Edit: Maybe that came off a little strong. I believe there are good things about single player. But personally I do not enjoy single player as much as I do multiplayer.

And as for why to watch the videos, I can understand not being interested if you do not play multiplayer, but I believe they are still competitive interesting games which can be enjoyed.

Last edited by BuilderFTW: 01-14-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
NovaStalker

Video is tiny which is strange since you've uploaded it in 1080p. Makes it rather hard to see what you're doing.
NovaStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
BuilderFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStalker View Post
Video is tiny which is strange since you've uploaded it in 1080p. Makes it rather hard to see what you're doing.
I know it is very strange... I had one video which was stretched out to the corners, but I am not sure why. This will be something I will work on.

Not sure if it would help, but maybe going to full screen even if you keep the resolution the same???

Edit: thank you for reminding me of this problem, after a little playing around with the videos i figured out I need to put the video in 16:9 rather than 4:3

I will re upload the most recent CTON and maybe a couple of other videos. I would do more but you tube takes 8+ hours to upload and I need to make sure my computer does not sleep during that time.

Last edited by BuilderFTW: 01-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Pesticides

I liked the videos, but it made my fears of multiplayer kinda come to light that to me

-not being able to see combat animations, really hurts the gameplay and strategy.
-iron rush and swordsman seems to be where most of the game is decided, if an opponent finds el dorado or iron and gets a bit lucky, nothing you can do with your warriors to stop him
-still some very nasty bugs like that naval upkeep thingy around
-this hoping for opponents to not see moves waiting to execute them at the last second seems kinda a lame exploitative tactic of a poorly implemented simultaneous turn system. I understand the use of the tactic, but if you consider civ5 like chess, this should be patched out of the game somehow, so an opponent sees the moves or has the time to review before/after for a short time.

If you could make a compilation of your worst gameplay isseus and send that to the devs, im crossing my fingers they would tackle those isseus in a next patch, i sure will be repping you and upvote the video to help make this game reach its true multiplayer potential!

Btw consider twitch.tv for streaming your game sessions live

Last edited by Pesticides: 01-14-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Pesticides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
BuilderFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesticides View Post
I liked the videos, but it made my fears of multiplayer kinda come to light that to me

-not being able to see combat animations, really hurts the gameplay and strategy.
-iron rush and swordsman seems to be where most of the game is decided, if an opponent finds el dorado or iron and gets a bit lucky, nothing you can do with your warriors to stop him
-still some very nasty bugs like that naval upkeep thingy around
-this hoping for opponents to not see moves waiting to execute them at the last second seems kinda a lame exploitative tactic of a poorly implemented simultaneous turn system. I understand the use of the tactic, but if you consider civ5 like chess, this should be patched out of the game somehow, so an opponent sees the moves or has the time to review before/after for a short time.

If you could make a compilation of your worst gameplay isseus and send that to the devs, im crossing my fingers they would tackle those isseus in a next patch, i sure will be repping you and upvote the video to help make this game reach its true multiplayer potential!

Btw consider twitch.tv for streaming your game sessions live
With combat animations, I feel like I understand what is going on, it might be harder for someone who is watching though at 2x the speed. You get used to it and it is much easier to understand when you yourself are playing.

About the iron rush, that is how we play in civplayers the average multiplayer game does NOT end that way. If you want to start a random game, it is unlikely you will see an iron rush to the extent we do.

As to double moves(at the end of one turn and start of next), it is a tactic almost exclusively used in league. I do not like it too much myself, but I do it and my opponents do it so it is fair. Again if you play a game with random players you will likely NOT see double moves.

Another piece of advice, Civplayers is just one multiplayer group. I would also recomend the No Quitters mp group where the games are less military focused and last longer.

About switch.tv, it is a good idea but i prefer you tube. One thing about you tube is that it allows me to edit out drops, and finding games. Also it allows me to play at 2x speed, add in commentary and upload at much higher quality. It allows me to not upload bad games so that the majority of the games up are high quality.

I understand multiplayer is not for everyone, but do not give up on multiplayer just because you do not like how my games are played. There are many other types of peaceful games out there. In the end I would recommend you try some games for yourself(make sure to allow a lot of time) and see if you like it. Make sure to talk lots to the other civs to keep it interesting!!
BuilderFTW
Old 01-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
derk

no , its not that i dont like your video's, and i know the ai is lacking adaption ability's , but still, its just a semi-troll comment towards how the game needs to be fixed....

Nothing against ur video's its kinda fun to watch game replay tbh
derk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
BuilderFTW

I agree there are many things that should be fixed. Saying there isn't "something to see" kinda set me off. Thanks for the compliment, I will keep the videos coming!!
BuilderFTW

Last edited by BuilderFTW: 01-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
BuilderFTW

Hey I have some new exciting videos on my channel please check them out!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/CivBuilderFTW?feature=watch

Also I am having upload difficulties for one video. It is uploaded but will not show up. You can get to it through the following link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysLA2_lADzE

Happy Watching,
BuilderFTW
Old 02-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
BuilderFTW

My home internet data had run out for the month so I had to stop videos. The month has now run over so I will begin uploading new videos again!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/CivBuilderFTW?feature=mhee
BuilderFTW

Last edited by BuilderFTW: 02-02-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
BuilderFTW

Hey everyone, I just uploaded a game with two commentators. Both me and AwesoMe commentated my most recent upload. Hope you enjoy it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCXyM...eYC3CQlT8rP0Ak
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
RedReapersBlade

I am enjoying your LP's.

Thank you for uploading them.
RedReapersBlade is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series