Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
bananalannah

amnesias not working on my laptop!

sooo my boyfriend gave me amnesia as a present, but its not working on my laptop for some reason. im pretty sure i have the requirements to play it.. im using windows 7 and i have the right graphics card, but the screen goes almost completely black for me when i open it. what i mean is i cant see where im going or what im doing but i can still see my inventory, memos and etc and the start menu when i open those up. heeeeeelp
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
envirovore

What are your complete system specs?
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
bananalannah

how exactly do i find all that information?? and what do you mean by complete system specs like i dont know how much detail you want me to give :S

lol also i hope i dont seem completely stupid right now for asking all that so my apologiesss XD
bananalannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
varsel01

I'm sorry but you can't probably play Amnesia: The Dark Descent on your laptop.

As it says in the system requirements:

"Graphics: Radeon X1000/GF 6 - Integrated graphics and very low budget cards might not work."
varsel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Primal Fear

Can you see the main menu perfectly? Then go from the main menu to "Options->Graphics" and try if if helps to adjust the gamma setting. You will see an explanation for it in this small box in the bottom of the window, while holding the mouse cursor over the are for the setting.

Last edited by Primal Fear: 03-03-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Primal Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
bananalannah

to Primal Fear - I have tried to adjust the settings on my laptop but that didnt work however i can still see the main menu perfectly.

to varsel01 - Its very confusing because ive checked what kind of graphics card i need and where i can find it and it actually did match. so i was thinking that it couldnt be the graphics card :S you're probably right though, i dont think i can play amnesia on my laptop... blargg >.<
Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Kazary

hi there. I don't think you should write this off straight away just because some people are saying "i don't THINK you can run this" when they don't even know your computer specs. I run amnesia on a laptop, yes a macbook pro, which does have a dedicated graphics card in it, but its like 3-4 years old and runs amnesia perfectly.

Anyway. You're on windows 7 then. You'll want to go into your computers controll pannel (click on start > Computer (its on the right hand side of start menu) > then click on controll panel > and then click system. (if you can't see system or have it on a simple mode, you'll need to find how to turn on the advanced mode to see a list of all items.)

After clicking system, you want to click on the button that says "device manager" on the side bar, which'll pop up another window. Now click on the "display adapters" button and it'll produce a drop-down list of what card or cards are on your computer. If it does say Intel-intergrated graphics then its not looking good. If it says anything else like NVIDIA or AMD RADION then you're looking good.

Also question: What other games have you run on this laptop before? So i can get a understanding of what you've used on it.

I hope this helps you and understand if you can play this fantastic game. Btw if I don't respond to this after you respond, add me on steam. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kazary
Kazary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
bananalannah

thanks for your help! and after i clicked device manager the only thing that dropped down from it was "Intel(R) HD Graphics".

also i have tried running sims 3 on my laptop before, when i first installed it it was running perfectly but i had it on low quality just in case. and then a week later it started freezing every now and then (nothing too big), and now i cant even continue my file without the game crashing and a blue screen showing up. so i dont even play anymore because i dont know if its going to harm my computer. other than that i just play the games that came with the laptop (lol like minesweeper) or ill go to some website to play a small game (like bloons tower defense!!)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Kazary

okay. So at least now we see where we stand. Yeah interl HD graphics, althought slightly impressive in name, isn't really up to scratch with a dedicated graphics card. SO you might have a hard time running ol amnesia if at all and if its having problems runnign sims 3 then I think you're not going to have much luck. You can give it a go using the bare minimal settings, but if you're having issues with that, you won't probably have much luck.

I just hope you're able to use a family PC or something to play it, because it is a REALLY amazing game that you should try thats scared me less sometimes and i love it for it! good luck
Kazary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
Jjssonicfan

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum....html#pid89162

Follow that tutorial, it should work fine.
Jjssonicfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent