Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Gothic series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #31
Atech66
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 77
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry50 View Post
Oh, oh... lol

I can think of somebody who'd have a field day evaluating the expansion then!

I know this is a personal question but did you ever happen to drop acid in the past? I was just wondering if maybe...
I was born in the 60's man.. ofcoarse i have and even with the occasional flashback i enjoy while gaming this is too much.
I can understand for the life of me the cluster F!!! that the expansion is.. did they change the engine or something somehow?
It is a complete mess.. I went back and finished 4 again and it looks beautiful.. tried every setting on Setariff and it is just Fubar.. did it run fine for you Harry? Im on a GTX275 and have not upgraded because this still runs everything i need it to and does it well..that and the fact that 4 looks great makes me wonder wth? its the same maps and my same character i used to continue .. i walked out on a rock and died because i drowned and never saw water lol anyways i got my fill removed local content.. it now sits in my steaming pile of done.
may the force be with you.
Atech66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #32
DirtyHarry50
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Reputation: 259
Posts: 1,091
Apparently the expansion went over to the Dark Side... way over...

That's a shame. No, I haven't seen it. I haven't played the main game yet. I just did the demo for a couple hours and had enough fun with that, that I am sure I'd enjoy the game so I wishlisted it. I'm going to wait on another sale. I'm hoping this Summer the whole Gothic set will go on sale for cheap. Until then I have more games than I should anyway.

I was a child of the 60's too as you may have guessed so I just had to ask the acid question. lol. Your description of the expansion made me think of a bad trip.
DirtyHarry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #33
alexUW
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 621
Posts: 2,668
Just beat ArcaniA!!! Got to say I still liked my play through!
Took me about 30 hours and got my character to level 29.

If you can get this game on the cheap like I did ($5), definitely worth it!!!
alexUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #34
Atech66
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 77
Posts: 673
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/61...A1FE746D298DA/

"Fall of crapola" expansion shot.. and this isnt even the worst of it. wasnt even playable.. and 4 ran beautifully and looked great.
Atech66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #35
kara_bulut
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 792
Posts: 7,372
I guess what made me like Gothic 1 and 2 was the old school game nostalgia on me
kara_bulut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
N3Burgener
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 202
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry50 View Post
You can call the game shallow with a negative connotation intended but I could easily call it RPG-lite with a positive one intended and neither of us would be completely wrong. It's a subjective call what you like. The subjective should not be confused with the objective however and I think you do that in dismissing this as a shallow game that is bad because of being simpler than games you prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry50 View Post
I made a point I don't see you coming up with a good argument against. It isn't spin. Your views are just that, your own. They are not fact, sorry. Your statement that the game is a bad ARPG is just your personal opinion which is fine but that doesn't make it fact, nor do your negative assertions about various aspects of the game which are also opinions and not fact.
I hate to resurrect a month-old thread like this, but I hate it even more when people dismiss objective criticism as "subjective opinion." Thinking that your own fecal matter smells bad is technically just your own opinion, but most people will agree that your smells bad for an objective reason. Saying that you prefer apples to oranges is a subjective opinion, but citing the fact that oranges are a chore to eat because you have to peel the skin first is an objective reasoning. If you really like oranges, then peeling the skin may not be a big deal for you, but that doesn't change the fact that it is more of a chore to eat than just biting into an apple.

Now, you may like this sort of game for being a simple, "lite" version of an RPG. But some people like the smell of their own . If you've played a representative sample of RPGs over the years, then it should be painfully obvious how short Arcania falls of matching even the most basic of standards expectations. This is not a case of "Arcania is not the kind of game I like, so I'm going to say it sucks," this is a case of "Arcania is exactly the kind of game I should like, but it's nowhere near as good as it should be."

Liking Arcania for being a more simplistic RPG is perfectly fine, but please don't justify shallow, generic, soulless, brainless, uninspired mediocrity in game design by dismissing the honest criticism against it. Please don't dismiss other's people's so-called "opinions" when you have to rely on your own opinion to defend the game.

I also want to second a comment made earlier in the thread, in regards to Arcania. Bushwhacker described it well when he said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker2k View Post
Well, what I'm trying to say overall, I suppose, is that I agree, it isn't a bad game... BUT, and here's the thing, it isn't a very good game either. I want to avoid labeling mediocrity or decentness as what game companies should shoot for.
N3Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #37
DirtyHarry50
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Reputation: 259
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3Burgener View Post
I hate to resurrect a month-old thread like this, but I hate it even more when people dismiss objective criticism as "subjective opinion." Thinking that your own fecal matter smells bad is technically just your own opinion, but most people will agree that your smells bad for an objective reason. Saying that you prefer apples to oranges is a subjective opinion, but citing the fact that oranges are a chore to eat because you have to peel the skin first is an objective reasoning. If you really like oranges, then peeling the skin may not be a big deal for you, but that doesn't change the fact that it is more of a chore to eat than just biting into an apple.

Now, you may like this sort of game for being a simple, "lite" version of an RPG. But some people like the smell of their own . If you've played a representative sample of RPGs over the years, then it should be painfully obvious how short Arcania falls of matching even the most basic of standards expectations. This is not a case of "Arcania is not the kind of game I like, so I'm going to say it sucks," this is a case of "Arcania is exactly the kind of game I should like, but it's nowhere near as good as it should be."

Liking Arcania for being a more simplistic RPG is perfectly fine, but please don't justify shallow, generic, soulless, brainless, uninspired mediocrity in game design by dismissing the honest criticism against it. Please don't dismiss other's people's so-called "opinions" when you have to rely on your own opinion to defend the game.

I also want to second a comment made earlier in the thread, in regards to Arcania. Bushwhacker described it well when he said this:
Thanks for the lecture but you are wrong. All you've done is give your own opinions as well.

I hate the resurrection of this old thread too. You should have left it alone rather than necro it for the sake of getting on a soapbox, etc.
DirtyHarry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #38
N3Burgener
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 202
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry50 View Post
Thanks for the lecture but you are wrong. All you've done is give your own opinions as well.
So is your opinion the "correct" one? If you're going to dismiss my "opinion" (especially without even bothering to argue against it), then you have no right to defend the game with your own opinions. Arcania is factually a shallow game that lacks virtually all of the qualities that most people find desirable in the genre.

I think it's perfectly fine to like Arcania. Honestly and sincerely. If this is the kind of game you like, then I'm glad you enjoy it. But it's just ridiculous to dismiss the honest criticism against it when it is objectively indisputable.
N3Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #39
DirtyHarry50
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Reputation: 259
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3Burgener View Post
So is your opinion the "correct" one? If you're going to dismiss my "opinion" (especially without even bothering to argue against it), then you have no right to defend the game with your own opinions. Arcania is factually a shallow game that lacks virtually all of the qualities that most people find desirable in the genre.

I think it's perfectly fine to like Arcania. Honestly and sincerely. If this is the kind of game you like, then I'm glad you enjoy it. But it's just ridiculous to dismiss the honest criticism against it when it is objectively indisputable.
I meant the lecture was wrong, not your opinion of the game. I don't care what you think of the game. Hate it and ignore it, about it if you must, whatever but spare me the lectures on what is objective and subjective. It was more than a little appropriate you chose to use feces to make your points. I had to laugh.

Just drop it. This discussion is old and had already ended. No need to resurrect it only to rehash the same arguments. There were too many unsubstantiated claims being made earlier and thus the points made about subjectivity. Next time read more carefully for comprehension before ascending your soapbox okay? Thank you.
DirtyHarry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Gothic series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.