Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II

Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
rickmaximus

My vassal is declaring war on his own!!!!

Ok so one of my vassals the duke of portucal has decided hes going to declare war on one of the muslim sheiks to the south and has proceeded to take over his lands for his own, hes done so through means of a claim which he acquired for one of their territories. The sheik however was not at war with me, only with him, and yet he was attacking my holdings (the ones that belong to the duke of portucale but my holdings none the less). How is he capable of declaring war on his own as he desires, and is there any way for me to control or tell him to stop his madness. Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
LordMarduk

I could be wrong but it might have something to do with having low crown authority, so he can do whatever he wants.
LordMarduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Zorlond

Vassals can do that. They can declare wars on other kingdoms, or even Dukes or Counts within your own. It's generally a bad idea for a Duke to declare war on another King (or equivalent), but that won't stop them from doing it sometimes. But if it's the Duke declaring the war (and it was, if you weren't at war with the other guy), then you risk nothing other than having some of your territory taken until the war is decided. And if your Duke loses, all you lose is a claim that you might have been able to use yourself. If the Duke wins (unlikely, but possible), he wins territory which still falls under your jurisdiction as you are his Liege.

There's no way to really prevent a Duke from delcaring war on someone outside your kingdom. (I was a Count under the rule of the King of Scotland with Medium Crown Authority and was still able to declare war on holdings in the Duchy of the Isles) But Crown Authority can prevent the Dukes and Counts from declaring wars on other people within your own. My suggestion is, if he loses the war he started, to look into options of getting a replacement Duke...

Keep in mind, if a Duke declares war on another kingdom, that he must have had casus beli to do it. That casus beli can sometimes also apply to the Duke's Liege (you), and you can jump into the war by declaring war on the same target. In this way, the enemy kingdom would have two enemy armies to deal with (one controlled by a player), instead of the usual one.

Last edited by Zorlond: 02-23-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Zorlond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
3pieceSuit

They usually only declare war when there is a good chance of them winning it. I find in Iberia, my dukes often try to press their claims when there is an internal civil war or succession crisis with the Moors. Most end inconclusively though. Don't worry to much about it, just keep an eye on your dukes and ensure they are not massing too much power. I always try to keep double the troop levies of my most powerful vassal, and I monitor the direct vassal map mode every decade or so.
3pieceSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Lord Charidarn

Vassals can also declare independent Crusades. I found this out when my heir raised levies for a Crusade against the Shia Calphate. However, his provinces were landlocked. So an army of thousands my son's men stood around for 4 years in his provinces until another kingdom won the Crusade.

I find the best way to prevent your vassals from declaring their own little wars is to have all their men fighting in your own.
Lord Charidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Zorlond

Just found some things under the Laws window on the tooltips for the Crown Authority settings...

Medium will prevent your Vassals from making wars with each other. They have to go through you to get borders re-laid. They can still make wars with people outside your domain, though.

Maximum will prevent your Vassals from making wars with anyone at all. You are the final word on all military action.

But this comes with some catches. Each ruler you play can move one Crown Rule just one step, one time during their whole reign. So going from Autonomous to Maximum is going to be a long, slow road. Add to that the fact that your Vassals really don't like Crown Authority, and will lose loyalty for each notch upwards and have an increasing number of plots to try to convince you to bring it back down. And if you don't, expect a lot of civil wars.
Zorlond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
LordMarduk

^
Keeping mine on medium @ all times for that reason, it's easy enough to control them usually but during a sucession, when hits the fan, that extra -loyalty can ruin your entire kingdom.

Apparently the AI doesn't realize this as I'm seeing a lot of smaller kingdoms destroying themselves in rebellions =/

The empires are handling it obviously but they seem to spend more time fighting their own (and attacking other kingdom's rebel vassals) than expanding
LordMarduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II