Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Ship, The

Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
danskove

Playing Online With Brother

Hey, i purchased The Ship a while ago and have accumulated game keys over the years. I decided to pass them out to my friends and my brother. We can all play together, only there is a problem. With some games, including The Ship, my brother and I cant play in the same game (game server?) because we have the same IP address because we are at the same house. It really sucks because we all like to get in a big group and play and someone gets left out every time. If one joins then the other afterwards, either they cant connect or the first person gets a "Server not responding..." error then it disconnects. Please help? Id rather not get an IP changer because they are pretty precarious and i believe you can get in trouble with Steam for them. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
ashlee666

Hello dude,

I don't have your problem, because I don't play the same online games as my housemates. Therefore I don't have a guaranteed solution for you, but I was able to find the following information about the issue.

It is caused at router level, by one or more of these issues:
  • Your ports are not forwarded correctly or UPNP not working
    For both PCs, check your router ports against Steam's here.

• NAT (or equivalent) setting on router needs to be open.
    This settings and its configurability varies depending on your router.

• Your firewall is not properly configured on both PCs to allow The Ship.
    Check the Firewall rules on both PCs allow The Ship and Steam.

• The router is trying to assign the same port number to each machine.
    Some people have had success tweaking the Steam game launch options. The method is attached as step 1, below.

RECOMMENDED ACTION:

1. First of all, try the following Steam launch option fix taken from here and pasted below:

- Go to Steam's My games menu
- Right-click on *GAME NAME* and select Properties
- From the General tab, click the Set launch options button
- Add a different client port number on each machine between 27005 and 27032 in the following format:
- Code: +clientport 270XX (Where XX is a different number for each system - do not use 27020)

2) Call your internet provider. Some of them are aware of this issue, and might be able to give advice or tweak your router from their end.

3) Raise a support issue with Steam. The Ship's forum is very quiet, so you might not get much help here.

4) Use your router model in google to search for others with this problem. Most people are able to solve it, but the solution can vary for each router/game.

Hope something here helps! Here are the links to random posts where I found some of this info.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/netwo...ss-router.html
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1578937

Good luck, let me know how you get on
ashlee666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
danskove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlee666 View Post
1. First of all, try the following Steam launch option fix taken from here and pasted below:

- Go to Steam's My games menu
- Right-click on *GAME NAME* and select Properties
- From the General tab, click the Set launch options button
- Add a different client port number on each machine between 27005 and 27032 in the following format:
- Code: +clientport 270XX (Where XX is a different number for each system - do not use 27020)
That worked, thanks a lot!
danskove is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Ship, The