Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #106
BladedTongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquablue432 View Post
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1 build 7601)
Intel Core i5 M480
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics / Nvidia GeForce 310M
Linksys Wireless G Router
Only since I'm leaning towards an audio driver issue, do you have an onboard sound card? I'm guessing you're on a laptop judging from the rest of your system.
BladedTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #107
Aquablue432

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladedTongue View Post
Only since I'm leaning towards an audio driver issue, do you have an onboard sound card? I'm guessing you're on a laptop judging from the rest of your system.
Yes, I have an onboard sound cardon my laptop. Seems I have Realtek drivers.
Aquablue432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #108
Jayyde

I too also have the sound problem. Computer specs are way above minimum reqs. I am using onboard sound (Realtek) but I did try a USB sound card (had one from my old build, which tf2 ran fine on) and that doesn't help either. Tempted to try -nosound and see if that helps.
Jayyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #109
psyko12

Never knew about that service, might as well try it out and see if it resolves my random game spikes

Thanks
psyko12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #110
BladedTongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquablue432 View Post
Yes, I have an onboard sound cardon my laptop. Seems I have Realtek drivers.
Which is what confuses me because I have (admittedly shady) IDT drivers for my onboard Dell system and, from what I can tell at least, that is where the mutual problem should lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayyde View Post
I did try a USB sound card (had one from my old build, which tf2 ran fine on) and that doesn't help either.
The more I think about it, the more I start to think this shouldn't necessarily fix the problem like I originally believed, simply because the same audio drivers should be used to pump sound, it would simply be redirected to a different output device. Good to know regardless, so thank you.
Let us know if the -nosound tag helps (because if so... I definitely don't have an answer for you but at least we know you're in the same boat )
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #111
Jayyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladedTongue View Post
Which is what confuses me because I have (admittedly shady) IDT drivers for my onboard Dell system and, from what I can tell at least, that is where the mutual problem should lie.

The more I think about it, the more I start to think this shouldn't necessarily fix the problem like I originally believed, simply because the same audio drivers should be used to pump sound, it would simply be redirected to a different output device. Good to know regardless, so thank you.
Let us know if the -nosound tag helps (because if so... I definitely don't have an answer for you but at least we know you're in the same boat )
I do believe I had similar problems with -nosound, but I really didn't play it long enough to make a conclusion. Playing without sound is quite... awkward (trying to think of a good word lol). I'll try again tonight. I even went as far as uninstalling my audio drivers and using basic "have windows find me drivers" route with no luck either. Also tried with no router too.

I did take some screenshots of both computers (old one doesn't have this problem) with net_graph 4:

Newer pc: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...992913398006/?

Older pc: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...992913033414/?

Mind you I don't believe lag were in these screeshots, but when it does, my ping/choke do jump 20-30.

There's also more of you want to look. First two screenshots are the newer, next few are older. Last one that was uploaded yesterday is a glitch I'm getting with certain misc items people use but I believe that's just a graphics driver issue.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #112
RaveMoyers

Dear respondees ,
Please do note

This thread was made over three years ago and may not be the fix as source/steam updates and so does your windows and our hardware. I'm most certain three years ago this was the fix.. Let's take a look at some of these recent post that have been posted. How about i get some more information on these recent replies and I will do as I can and respond with the best answer I can and elaborate it to the best of my ability to correspond with your recent issues with sound and lag.

Last edited by RaveMoyers: 01-20-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spiff
RaveMoyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #113
Jayyde

Just thought I'd give an update.

Well, as of an hour or so ago, I believe I fixed my random lag spikes. I searching some forums to clarify something for my motherboard when I thought to myself, what do I have installed on this computer that is different from my last?

Now, when I first built this computer, I had stability issues, which turned out that after setting the BIOS to XMP, I stopped getting driver crashes. I was almost to the point of RMA parts. When I was diagnosing this, I installed Intel Management Engine Interface thinking this might help. Turns out it didn't and it got forgotten until today, when I looked up what it was for. It's for remote access to the pc to fix various things over LAN, etc. I don't need it so I uninstalled and figured, hey why not, lets try TF2 and see if it helped. Well, I believe it did.

Here's a screenshot of net_graph 4 before and after:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/61...A6BF71CC6625F/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/61...A88731FD50E8D/

Granted these aren't the *same* servers, but they're both by Valve and have roughly the same ping to me. Notice the packet size coming in as well as the choke. I'm going to take a guess and say the choke was causing my random stutters/lag spikes. Higher choke means packets are lost when sent to the server, so what ever you do, it doesn't register (correct me if I'm wrong). Since doing this, I haven't gotten lag other then joining server or jumping across the map when I'm dead viewing other players, but it's *very* minor and my old computer did just the same. I also tried another server with higher ping, and while I did have a higher choke (from 0-10 to 0-20), it was still flawless.

tldr version:
Uninstalled Intel Management Engine Interface, got better connection, don't want to take a blowtorch to this computer/TF2.

EDIT: Going to test some more. I'll report back in a few hours, if not when I wake up.

Last edited by Jayyde: 01-20-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #114
mreeuwij

misconception there.

Choke is as the server wants to send more data through then the "rate" value allows. What it does: it stalls the next xx amount of data till the actual rate is below the set max "rate" value in the game, and then sends either the stalled info, or the latest snapshot, depending on the time.
mreeuwij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #115
Jayyde

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Well, I did a fresh install on this comp and the only things I've done is installed drivers, windows updates, and TF2. Getting the lag again and I can't figure out what is causing it. My old computer has no trouble at all. All drivers are up to date. Tested CSS and that is causing it too, but that could've just been the server I was on.

Edit: DoDS seems to be fine.

Last edited by Jayyde: 01-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #116
Jayyde

Yay double post!

I was linked this on my motherboard's forums, and it turns out it helped.

http://iogaming.net/forums/47-genera...ection-io.html

I know it's dated '09, but after setting those 5 variables, my connection went to that of my older computer (no choke, packets per second, etc). I put those 5 variables in an autoexec.cfg file so they always load since it resets when you end TF2.

Testing some more tonight so I'll report back if anything changes.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #117
BladedTongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayyde View Post
Yay double post!

I was linked this on my motherboard's forums, and it turns out it helped.

http://iogaming.net/forums/47-genera...ection-io.html

I know it's dated '09, but after setting those 5 variables, my connection went to that of my older computer (no choke, packets per second, etc). I put those 5 variables in an autoexec.cfg file so they always load since it resets when you end TF2.

Testing some more tonight so I'll report back if anything changes.
To clarify, do you experience the same symptoms if you're not in an online match, or even set Steam to offline mode and disconnect entirely from your network? I will give these settings a shot soon and we can compare notes.

RaveMoyers, I have given literally all the information I have to give over the last few posts here and linked on the last couple pages. People will be attracted to this thread for any variety of spike performance issues so I think it best that they try whatever is presented as a working solution here, especially considering I'm not the only one that still has this particular problem.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #118
RaveMoyers

I will be posting a post as soon as possible.
RaveMoyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #119
swewolf

Disabling my Audio in device manager removes the lag from TF2, Tried removing MCSS, Regedit etc Don't help me at all.

Anyone got a solution?
swewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #120
Aquablue432

There is no solution that has been found yet. I can't believe it - tons of gamers that can't play any Valve game and no fix for this long.
Aquablue432 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips