Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Pyro

Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Pumpkinbot

New Pyro Flamethrower Idea!

The Gas Guzzler
Level 1 Gasoline Launcher
+25% clip size
Minicrits burning targets
Does not ignite targets
-20% damage on non-burning targets

The Gas Guzzler, V2
Level 1 Gasoline Launcher
-25% airblast cost
Minicrits burning targets
Does not ignite targets
-25% clip size

Essentially it's what Valve and Gaben can't seem to make: an offensive flamethrower that doesn't encourage WM1.

It's a modified gas tank that spews out gasoline on the target. If you try to WM1 with it, you're going to have a much harder time because it does 20% less damage. Instead, what you'll want to do is light someone on fire with the Flare Gun or Sharpened Volcano Fragment, then spray them down. If you have the Detonator, it can be great against groups because you can light them all up and mow them down with the Gas Guzzler. It only minicrits because I think we've seen with the Phlog that self-made Kritzkriegs are bad, m'kay?

EDIT: Version 2 removes the damage penalty and changes it to a clip reduction to 150 ammo. It also lowers the airblast cost to 15 ammo, rather than 20, allowing you to get in the same number of airblasts at full ammo, encouraging airblast use.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hate mail? Death threats? Marriage proposals? Divorce paperwork?

Last edited by Pumpkinbot: 02-22-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
mooman1080

People claim the flamethrower deals low damage as is, delaying the actual damage dealing by forcing an ignition method other than the flamethrower doesn't seem ideal. But at the same time minicrits are pretty powerful on the flamethrower, I don't know, I doubt it would work.
mooman1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Pumpkinbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman1080 View Post
People claim the flamethrower deals low damage as is, delaying the actual damage dealing by forcing an ignition method other than the flamethrower doesn't seem ideal. But at the same time minicrits are pretty powerful on the flamethrower, I don't know, I doubt it would work.
Really? Who says the flamethrower deals low damage? O.o According to the wiki, it deals 139.5 damage per second, while the Rocket Launcher does 112 from a direct hit, firing about once a second.

But maybe you're right. Should I remove the damage penalty? Or lessen it a little bit to, say, 5%, just to discourage WM1?
Pumpkinbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
mooman1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinbot View Post
Really? Who says the flamethrower deals low damage? O.o According to the wiki, it deals 139.5 damage per second, while the Rocket Launcher does 112 from a direct hit, firing about once a second.

But maybe you're right. Should I remove the damage penalty? Or lessen it a little bit to, say, 5%, just to discourage WM1?
I didn't say I agreed with it, but there are plenty of people on the class balance forums who say it is.

Honestly I don't know, I'm not sure about the idea over all.
mooman1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Pumpkinbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman1080 View Post
I didn't say I agreed with it, but there are plenty of people on the class balance forums who say it is.

Honestly I don't know, I'm not sure about the idea over all.
Well what about the second version I posted? It does less to discourage WM1, but does more to encourage other tactics, I should say.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Snake Treader

Banned
So it doesn't ignite people, but deals more damage to ignited people?
Snake Treader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Pumpkinbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Treader View Post
So it doesn't ignite people, but deals more damage to ignited people?
Yes, which means it encourages the player to use any of the Flare Guns or the Sharpened Volcano Fragment to ignite enemies. As I said, it's offensive, but doesn't encourage WM1, as the two offensive flamethrowers we have now do (the Backburner and Phlog).
Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Kally Wally

I like it. It encourages a well thought out approach and teamwork, plus it sounds pretty fun to use. You could probably toss these stats onto the Firkin Flamer model in the workshop if you removed the pilot light.
Kally Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Kiloace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinbot View Post
the Sharpened Volcano Fragment
A legitimate reason to use the SVF? Not bad.
Kiloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Pumpkinbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiloace View Post
A legitimate reason to use the SVF? Not bad.
That's actually what spawned this idea. :v I was thinking, "Wow, the SVF is pretty crappy. Why would anyone use it?"
But, then again, lul, Flare Gun.
On top of that, since Pyros can't catch on fire, this flamethrower would be bad against other Pyros, right? Which is why this would pair great with the Shotgun. Gas Guzzler, Shotgun, and Sharpened Volcano Fragment could be a pretty good set!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Ikpa Vatryx

The Pyro was created around igniting people, fleeing and letting the Afterburn finish them. The class wasn't succesful at this, but the idea is still there. Why should it be removed? How is it W+M1?
Ikpa Vatryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Pumpkinbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikpa Vatryx View Post
The Pyro was created around igniting people, fleeing and letting the Afterburn finish them. The class wasn't succesful at this, but the idea is still there. Why should it be removed? How is it W+M1?
The Pyro was created to be a close-range class that causes panic with it's afterburn. Afterburn isn't -supposed- to be half of your damage, it's there to make your opponents think "OH DEAR GOD I'M ON FIRE" and panic. You still -can- set people on fire, but not with the primary. With this weapon, you're -supposed- to light them on fire.

And how is what WM1? This one? It isn't. The Backburner? It's WM1 because once you get someone from behind, hold down the mouse button and bad guy goes down. The Phlog? Hold down the mouse button, then press the second mouse button after a few seconds, then continue to hold the mouse button.

With this, you switch to secondary/melee, press mouse button, switch to primary, hold down mouse button. It's at least a -little- less brainless to use.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Pyro