Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge

Old 06-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
chwynn

Startup Failure

I'm having some trouble loading up Bad Rats. I've had my eye on this game for a while, and its currently on sale for 66p, so I really didn't have much to lose... except it doesn't work.

The splash screen loads up, then a fraction of a second later, I get the message "Startup Failure" and the game crashes.

I'm running Windows 7 x64, I have the latest DX and graphics drivers. Every other game works for me perfectly (except Torchlight which stopped working a few weeks ago, and now inexplicably crashes on startup)

Any ideas anyone? I googled it, and searched these forums, but no luck. (I couldn't access the official forums, the site was down)
Old 06-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Twilkitri

The game was dying during startup for me, but not with 'Startup Failure' displayed anywhere. I managed to get it working by disabling DEP on rats.exe - you could try that if you haven't already.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
chwynn

Thanks, that seemed to solve the problem. I did read through the forums before, and I saw that solution, but I had DEP "enabled only for windows programs and services". Bizzarely I had to turn it on for all programs, then specifically disable it for RATS.exe. stupid windows.
+rep.
chwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
The_Phantom_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilkitri View Post
The game was dying during startup for me, but not with 'Startup Failure' displayed anywhere. I managed to get it working by disabling DEP on rats.exe - you could try that if you haven't already.
Thanks for your tip by disabling DEP on rats.exe! I wanted play the demo, but rats.exe does not work longer.
Now with your solution I bought the game and it works fine for me. Thanks!
+ rep.

PS: I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit, too!
The_Phantom_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
CrazyTerabyte

Just adding a few more keywords so this thread becomes easier to find:

The solution to "rats.exe has stopped working" is to disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention) in Windows.
CrazyTerabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge