Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jagged Alliance Series

Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
leroy196401

Red face Now I am jarateed off!

I have tried and tried to get into this game, the 'pause and go' aspect of the game sucks. No other way to put it really, should have left it as the rest of the JA series. Put together the best three mercs according to this forum and yet one axe welding dude takes out all three one by one. FFS! game or not, well I will chalk this up to wasting fifty bucks and go back to playing JA ver 1.13.

What a disapontment. (yep you all guessed it I am angry) such high hopes when I bought this.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
EarthN

Well m8, obviously u r doing it wrong. I suggest u read some other threats here, there is lots of advice for starting probs. As a matter of fact: there is no way one melee dude kills yur 3 mercs altogether if knowing the game mechanics a lil bit. Gl
EarthN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
TheJrade

There is a bit of a learning curve regarding melee weapons. One can hope they'll put a note about how to handle them in the next game's manual

A few suggestions:
Use Run or Ready Weapon stance for at least one of the mercs being attacked by the would-be axe murderer. They will fire MUCH faster. Less accurately of course but sometimes volume of fire is better.

Have the guy the attacker is after run away can help, as your other mercs will continue to fire and it can (very realistically) take a few crucial seconds for the baddie to re-target.

Burst fire, burst fire, burst fire. This is why enemy troops seem to have ridiculous aim. They don't, they're just firing 10 bullets and you are being hit by one or two of them. Enough to slow you down, and consequently also perfect for stopping melee attackers.
TheJrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
xcorps

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthN View Post
Well m8, obviously u r doing it wrong. I suggest u read some other threats here, there is lots of advice for starting probs. As a matter of fact: there is no way one melee dude kills yur 3 mercs altogether if knowing the game mechanics a lil bit. Gl
Yeah, pretty much this. It takes a different approach to play a game with a different approach. I downloaded the demo and threw my hands up in frustration after about three hours with the same opinion as the OP. Back to JA2. Then I watched a Youtube tutorial about shotgun use.

Now that I understand the power of the pause and go and how you can use it to really coordinate your teams, there's no way I would chose to go back to TB. Stringing together and synching movement and attacks is just awesome. No more "count green and red feet" anymore. I don't have to worry about AP any more.

Not saying that this game is any better or worse than JA2, because overall the features of JA2 totally trump BIA. But the pause and go implementation is very well done and very useful.
xcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
LordMarduk

Actually the pause and go mechanic is much better for tactical games, and it's beautifuly implemented in this game, don't get me wrong there are a lot of flaws in it, more than I can count (and I'm hoping they are all getting fixed with patches eventually as it seems possible, with the exception of destructible enviroment, probably needs a new engine for that)but the combat system is just awesome.

As for melee, once you get the hang of it, melee weapons will be as good as removed from the game, every single time you see someone wielding one you'll think "ohwell, free kill".

PS: I'd like to see you reaction when you suddenly start facing the armored soldiers lol
LordMarduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
TheJrade

Yeah, they are dramatically less dangerous once you get rifles of any kind. I usually just target them with one of my secondary snipers and then ignore them.

Exactly right xcorps about this being a great engine poorly executed... I am just annoyed at having paid $40 for the beta test of Jagged Alliance 3.
TheJrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jagged Alliance Series