Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Chronicles of Riddick

Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
-GS-

Speed Of Bullets (too slow!)

Hello, I'm experiencing this annoying “bug” (I don’t even know if it is correct to call it a bug – maybe a programming flaw?), but what upsets me is that I seem to be the only one having it. I could not find any forum on the internet directly addressing this matter (if there is one here already, please forgive my blindness).

Getting to the point: I’m referring to the speed of the bullets fired by pistols, shotguns, assault rifles and other firearms: they are terribly slow, to the point that distant enemies can deftly dodge headshots and shoot back at you with deadly aim (their ammunition, unlike yours, does not seem to be hindered by atrocious air viscosity and will reach you in the blink of an eye, leaving you quite dead).

Needless to say, this is a source of major frustration. Fortunately, you don’t have the opportunity of using firearms frequently (usually you are using fists, melee weapons or the stunning pistol), but when you must battle against heavily armoured enemies, the appalling sluggishness of the bullets forces you to get close to your enemies, and this almost inevitably means a quick death.

Am I really the only one who is experiencing this issue? Perhaps it is related to the video options?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Godwhacker

I hate to say it, but I think you're just missing. However, it might be the video options- try turning post-processing off, that motion blur might be what's doing it.
Godwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
-GS-

Well, technically, yes: I'm missing. But my aim is not to be blamed, I assure you. Here, I even managed to find a video on Youtube which explains what this problem is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7hNAlrYC8. You can clearly notice that, when bullets are fired, they take some seconds to hit the wall beyond the guard who is hiding behind the corner. But this player's (not me, just another guy with my same exact problem) aim seems pretty decent to me.

Anyway, I've tried to lower every single graphic option to minimum, as you suggested (thanks for your reply, by the way), but to no avail. Bullets are still slow as snails. It's almost funny!

Last edited by -GS-: 09-09-2011 at 03:21 PM.
-GS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
tryer12345

I would try a reinstall. first verify the game cache.
tryer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
-GS-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryer12345 View Post
I would try a reinstall. first verify the game cache.
Although I haven't tried to reinstall, I have already tried defragmenting the game cache and checking integrity, but with no results. I uninstalled the game some time ago, maybe in the future I will try reinstalling and see what happens.

Thanks

Last edited by -GS-: 10-13-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
HotSh0t_

No, you're right GS. No verifying game cache or reinstalls required haha. The bullets do indeed take a second to respond, you notice this especially when someone is running to the side and you're trying to fire off a few but the shots end up behind him.

Setup the laser dot crosshair and see if you can hit the ones standing still, otherwise you're forced to "lead" your shots on your targets if they're moving. Try not to "spray" your shots unless they're really close.
HotSh0t_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
-GS-

HotSh0t, did you watch the video or did you experience this annoying problem by playing the game? I'm asking because I can't understand whether this is an isolated case (happening to me and a few others, which means it is triggered by some unknown hardware / software conflict) or it is more widespread than thought.

However, as you said, moving targets require you "leading" bullets where they are supposed to hit the target. Unfortunately, there are very few stationary enemies, so "thinking and aiming in advance" is necessary.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
r3t4rD4life

I play this game on the PS3 with the same problem and funnily enough I had major issues passing the part in your video. Just gotta live with it I guess
r3t4rD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
-GS-

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3t4rD4life View Post
I play this game on the PS3 with the same problem and funnily enough I had major issues passing the part in your video. Just gotta live with it I guess
This is my fear, too. But I still can't understand why the vast majority of people don't seem to experience (or be bothered by) this problem. It definitely and utterly ruined my gaming experience in what otherwise would have been a very enjoyable video-game.

However, I'd like to point out that it's not me in the above-mentioned video... I didn't record it. I just found it on Youtube and decided to link it here to better describe the issue.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
lukeman3000

This is interesting.

I've done some research, and my best guess is that everyone experiences the same issue, however, not everyone perceives it the same.

It's kind of like input lag. Input lag varies from game to game, but different people have different sensitivities to it.

However, I would agree that this is much more noticeable. I remember liking butcher bay and athena very much; so much that I bought it again on steam and am downloading it as we speak. Now that I read about this, I specifically remember thinking the same thing when I first played it back on the xbox, but I'm not quite sure what I ended up thinking about it. Usually, I won't even play something if it is this "game-breaking". I must've ended up liking the game or being ok with it for some reason or another -- I'll report back here after I've played it for awhile and have formed a more recent opinion.
lukeman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
-GS-

Thank you Lukeman, your feedback would be very much appreciated. In addition, I liked your theory about different perception by different gamers. It is quite the same about - for example - enabling or disabling mouse acceleration, or using Keyboard + Mouse instead of a controller. But in my personal experience, this extreme sluggishness in the projectiles' trajectory simply can't be overlooked / ignored. Other games showcased a very realistic ballistic (sorry for the unwanted rhyme) parabola arc calculation, but I have never seen anything as in the Chronicles Of Riddick: it seems as if the air was thick as marmalade or honey. This is why I’m still convinced that it must present itself *objectively* (and not subjectively) in different degrees of severity, depending on the platform (PC or consoles), operating system or hardware specifications.
Waiting for your (as well as others') reply / consideration.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
XGLX

Long story short, yes the bullets are slow, its intentional, its the way the developers have made the game. This is not an issue at all concerning if your system is lagging or has inadequate power. ITS JUST THE GAME, and it jaratees me off too. However I keep coming back to this game its just fantastic even with its flaws. :P
XGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
MADDOGGE

To be honest I don't remember any issues like this with the bullets and I've played the original and the requel versions. Not saying it's not there for some people. I just have never notice it when playing.

On a side note. That guy in the video is in way too big of a hurry to get through that door. Trying to rush things. Reminds me of the way my son plays. I let them come to me one by one and pop them. Much safer.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
mirak

I noticed that too, and that's annoying

maybe it's to make you use the guns less and use stealth as much as you can
mirak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Chronicles of Riddick