Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Atari > Act of War series

Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #16
kalifornia

Banned
I have Windows 7 x64 and I can't get the game started. I have tried setting the memory to 2048MB and I have also tried using compatibility modes and admin.
kalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #17
kalifornia

Banned
any fixes yet?
kalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
stinkytaco

Banned
lowering ram and rebooting when I just want to play a game?
Let us count the ways that this is just wrong and sucks.
The game programmers and the publishers should add a warning to the sales page. I feel really cheated now.

Thanks for the solution. +1 for your reputation.
stinkytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #19
AtraicMine

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it seems to be the only one. The fix works for me on all my other computers, but with my new one it still refuses to work. I think the problem is that my graphics card memory is too much for it. I can't lower my RAM anymore and still get the computer to function properly.

Is there a way to set your usable graphics memory using something like Windows compatibility kit?
AtraicMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
Alkpaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtraicMine View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it seems to be the only one. The fix works for me on all my other computers, but with my new one it still refuses to work. I think the problem is that my graphics card memory is too much for it. I can't lower my RAM anymore and still get the computer to function properly.

Is there a way to set your usable graphics memory using something like Windows compatibility kit?
Same issue here..it plops out an error due to too much video RAM even upon 2GB reboot, interesting, maybe if I underclock my GFX card to less than 500MB usable video memory it might work, although I heard underclocking is a little more tricky than overclocking..
Alkpaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #21
Swakke

I tested this on Windows 7 ultimate 64bit and i still cannot get it to work, same issue as Alkpaz2 I have an nVidia Geforce GTX480 and my video RAM is just too high I presume. (shame, i loved this game back in the old days)
Swakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
etienneb29

I just installed Act of War: Direct Action on my computer.

I have Windows 7 64 bits, 12 GB of RAM and a GTX 580 with 1.5 GB of VRAM.

The ONLY thing I had to do is to reduce the total memory under 3 GB, and it includes the 1.5 GB of my video card. So I had to go in msconfig and set the maximum RAM to 1.5 GB. 1.5 GB RAM + 1.5 GB VRAM = 3 GB which is the max Act of War can take.

A little reboot and the game works perfectly. I even added antialiasing, anisotropic filtering and vsync with the Nvidia Control Panel.

Note that you DON'T need to run Act of War in WinXP mode or with admin privilege or deactivate the Data Execution Protection. The only thing to do is to reduce memory.

Hope that helps.
etienneb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #23
AtraicMine

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienneb29 View Post
I just installed Act of War: Direct Action on my computer.

I have Windows 7 64 bits, 12 GB of RAM and a GTX 580 with 1.5 GB of VRAM.

The ONLY thing I had to do is to reduce the total memory under 3 GB, and it includes the 1.5 GB of my video card. So I had to go in msconfig and set the maximum RAM to 1.5 GB. 1.5 GB RAM + 1.5 GB VRAM = 3 GB which is the max Act of War can take.

A little reboot and the game works perfectly. I even added antialiasing, anisotropic filtering and vsync with the Nvidia Control Panel.

Note that you DON'T need to run Act of War in WinXP mode or with admin privilege or deactivate the Data Execution Protection. The only thing to do is to reduce memory.

Hope that helps.
The problem is that I have 2 Gb's of VRAM, so that setting my RAM to only 1 gb causes problems with getting windows 7 to run, let alone perform well with the game.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
AtraicMine

Is anyone out there, I'm still having problems trying to get this game to work on my comp, I know it's likely a lost cause, but I really want to play this.

My computer specs are as follows:
Win 7 x64
6 GB RAM - Limited to 1.5 GB when attempting to start AoW.
ATI Radeon HD 6900 - 2 GB GDDR5

****EDIT: I dual-booted xp just to play this game, and it still fails. I installed Windows XP Pro x32.

Started the game up and it gave me this error:

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1700/image001x.png

Additional Pics:
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/8395/image004m.png
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2580/image002ii.png

As you can see, not only did I go to XP 32bit, but I'm also only running on 1GB RAM atm, nothing will work. I still get the negative memory error.

Last edited by AtraicMine: 07-11-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #25
Thresher559

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and I tried changing my RAM to 2048 MB from the BOOT tab to run AoW:HT. The error goes away, but I get a different one now that says "Negative Video Memory - Critical Failure". It then goes on to say about ten things that all have "DirectX9Init" at the beginning. Does anyone have any ideas what that means?
Thresher559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
sgtstrippa

this doesnt work for me either when i leave my 8gb on it comes up with a message saying unlock act of war high treason then crashes with the error 217 and does the whole crit failure thing but trys to say i only got 51mb of ram, so i done the whole turning my ram down to 1024 coz i got 2gb on g card and then it comes up sayin the samething about unlockin aow HT then goes into a crit failure statin i only got 1804 of ram if it doesnt get sorted soon im gonna b askin steam for a refund or the ability to exchange this piece of for sumthin at same price
sgtstrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #27
PrezKennedy

If you have a 64-bit OS, you need the 64-bit OS Tages driver for this game to run.

Link: http://www.tagesprotection.com/5.5/TagesSetup_x64.exe

You may also need to run the game in Compatibility Mode. It runs for me now, with 8GB of RAM. No changes to msconfig to reduce my system memory.
PrezKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
sgtstrippa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezKennedy View Post
If you have a 64-bit OS, you need the 64-bit OS Tages driver for this game to run.

Link: http://www.tagesprotection.com/5.5/TagesSetup_x64.exe

You may also need to run the game in Compatibility Mode. It runs for me now, with 8GB of RAM. No changes to msconfig to reduce my system memory.
done this and still didnt work
sgtstrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #29
Enverex

Even if you lower your system RAM (which fixes one issue) the game will still fail with a negative memory error if your video card has too much RAM. Unfortunately no-one seems to have found a workaround for the second problem.

Epic amount of wasted time
Enverex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
DNess

Act of War ask for video memory by calling DirectX function GetAvailableTextureMem. We just need limit value returned by this function to avoid crash caused by video memory amount. I found this article on web http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/g-m/dire...-Proxy-DLL.htm
There is also sources of simple dllproxy for directx (do nothing, simple call original directx functions). Changing this code in file myIDirect3DDevice9.cpp
UINT myIDirect3DDevice9::GetAvailableTextureMem(void)
{
return(m_pIDirect3DDevice9->GetAvailableTextureMem());
}

to this (never say to application values greater then 1Gb of video memory)

UINT myIDirect3DDevice9::GetAvailableTextureMem(void)
{
const UINT TextureMemoryLimit = 1024 * 1024 * 1024;
UINT AvailableTextureMem = m_pIDirect3DDevice9->GetAvailableTextureMem();
if(AvailableTextureMem > TextureMemoryLimit)
return TextureMemoryLimit;
else
return AvailableTextureMem;
}

and compile we get proxy which can fix negative memory error in Act of War. Proxy dll must be placed in Act of War folder (same folder where game exe file located), not in windows system folder (this break directx functionality)
There is a proxy with a memory reporting fix http://cns-spb.ru/d3d9.zip or anyone can compile it using Microsoft Visual Studio Express and Microsoft DirectX SDK (these can be downloaded from Microsoft site for free).
DNess is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Atari > Act of War series