Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Longest Journey, The

Old 02-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
ZanyCynic

Angry it is boring, don't you think ?

This game is ok, but I do not understand the hype.

The puzzles are seldom to solve with thinking, more often you *have* to try things out and afterwards hope to make sense of it.

The dialogs are ok, I like to read much, but where is the point of an adventure where you always just click through all possible answers until you get the "right" one ?

I HATE to have to move through wide areas again and again, talk with that one, move through 5 screen, no, I did not want to click there, ohhhhhhh, ok, back, click there, talk to that one, move 5 screens back... etc...

Everything is extra slow without reason it seems, just so the story takes more time to go through.

Compare this to Culpa Innata:

Nearly EVERY puzzle is solvable with thinking. If you take that direction in the dialog, perhaps you will never be able to see what had happened with the other answers.

You get shortcuts, so you do not have to click through the same screens again and again and again and.. bah.

And humor... you happen to know what that is ? After some hours "The Longest Journey" I think these guys took themselves just too serious.

Really guys, give Culpa Innata a try, and afterwards flame me.
But please, AFTERWARDS !

I played "Culpa Innata" two times without playing anything between until the end. And was in both cases sad that I was at the end.

I stopped playing "The longest Journey" because I am just bored from running ship to market to ship to temple and always getting just one "now move to screen x".

I do not think "The Longest Journey" is a good adventure.

"Blade Runner" and "Culpa Innata" are good adventures.

If someone likes these too and can hint me to at least ONE other good adventure I'd be grateful.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Nanomage

Well that´s certainly a controversial opinion. :P

I enjoyed Culpa Innata but TLJ is one of the best adventure games I ever played.
Nanomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
spyrochaete

I love TLJ for the story and I forgive its shortcomings. I admit it's not perfect but it's still my favourite adventure game. I don't find it boring whatsoever thanks to Ragnar Tornquist's writing.

Last edited by spyrochaete: 03-26-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: fixed embarrassing grammar error!
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Jito463

I'm just the opposite. I've played TLJ through numerous times, and bought it 2 or 3 times (long story), whereas I have yet to complete Culpa Innata even once. Maybe I'll try it again, though.
Jito463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
fatgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
I'm just the opposite. I've played TLJ through numerous times, and bought it 2 or 3 times (long story), whereas I have yet to complete Culpa Innata even once. Maybe I'll try it again, though.
Same here.
fatgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Tarak

TLJ is my first adventure game and my memory of the journey is still vivid even after playing hundreds of different games. I think it wasn't the puzzle that got me hooked, it was the characters, storyline and magical world.
Tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
Jayne_Cobb

I like adventure games. I felt compelled to them ever since Maniac Mansion, and even these old
text adventures whose names I completely forgot. But I was always better playing them with a friend,
looking over the shoulder, searching for clues, but not playing myself. While I can appreciate technical
proficiency and different levels of quality, it doesn't mean that in the end it can do something for me.

I still like some of these old jump and runs, that granted you no save or continue function.
The gameplay was able to captivate you, the motivation aspect stronger than the frustration.
And you were failing a lot. In fact, I don't know which of these games I was ever able to finish.

I wanted to like The Longest Journey, the story, the art direction, it resonated with me.
I was not able to get into it, but I was revisiting it again. I felt the game had great potential,
and it was worth overcoming whatever flaws it may have. The things that are tedious in other
games did not have the same weight here, they didn't weigh me down. There were moments
I felt I shouldn't like this game, or the way you have to figure things out. But it is just a great
experience and it is rewarding to accept the challenge.

Humour, there is humour in the game, and it isn't even as rare as sometimes portrayed.
But it is of the subtle, witty and charming kind. You my not be rolling on the floor, at times
you even need some time recognize, and isn't that a good feeling? You've already continued
your way, and suddenly it makes click and your brain finished a thought process, leaving you
with smile, maybe a soft chuckle, that you're really have been so slow.

In an era of gaming where games are loud, where classic genres try to revitalize themselves
with trying to be louder too, The Longest Journey is quiet. It's decent. It does not try to be
something that it isn't. It is perfect in a way. Like you love someone for who he is, for the
sum of his parts. You may dislike single quirks, but somehow, in this alignment they work.
You realize, the single aspects are one thing to weigh, it's the way the sum of the parts
work together. There is so much that can resonate with you on This Longest Journey.
Can. Not must. And, ultimately, in case of doubt, call it love, and tell it, it has to
behave reasonably.
Jayne_Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
ZanyCynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne_Cobb View Post
I like adventure games.......
You should go professional, this sounds really good.
REALLY good!

Just because of your nice text I feel compelled to try it again.

Mmm, perhaps in some weeks.
ZanyCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Vallen

The game is certainly hit or miss for most people. I think of it like an interactive novel just like Dear Esther. The puzzles are fun but normally they are not super difficult, its the story and the characters that are so compelling.

I am eagerly awaiting TLJ the book
Vallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
Jaapie

TLJ is one of the best adventures ever! On to the next one, Dreamfall here we go!
Jaapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
drg0nzo1

TLJ is an awesome adventure game. Is it the best ever? Not in my opinion, but it is one of the greats. You do also have to keep in mind that it was released in 1999.
drg0nzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
mojoes

Nah. Although some of the puzzles can be a bit random, the feel of this game is unparallelled.
mojoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
pintu

I gave up after not being able to find out how you do that fuse box thing in the subway, turns out you gotta use some bread on a rubber duck right back at the start of the game and then it just starts getting rediculous how cryptic the game is.

who the hell thinks to use some bread on a rubber duck to get through a subway?
pintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
mojoes

http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/tlj.php

Good site with hints, and as many spoilers you'd like.
mojoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
Draetor24

Adventure games are a dying genre, if not already dead. However, TLJ was the best adventure game I played in the genre, followed by the sequal Dreamfall.

You don't play adventure games for the reasons pointed out, but for the story/plot. It's like playing out a novel. TLJ has a deep and compelling story that shocks you as you progress through it.
Draetor24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Longest Journey, The