Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
stopgap

Civ5 died in the night.

Hi
I've had the game since launch and it's been problem-free
for a long, long time. I play a long game every week or so and it's been fine until today. I haven't changed anything, I can't see that there's been any updates, I've verified the game files, but it keeps crashing with "Civ5 has stopped working" and I've no idea why it's suddenly decided to do this. Once it has happened in a game, that game is gone- reloads will die in the same turn 100% of the time no matter how far back I go.

It does it with & without mods, it does it with new games and old. Any ideas why?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
masterthehero

Well if the game was working fine before and you've been playing long games every week. Then it wouldn't make sense that the game suddenly stopped working on you.

I think you downloaded or installed something recently that has affected your video game, maybe try a system restore point and see if you get the same results.

Could be a video card driver, a program you downloaded off the internet, could be a variety of things.
masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
RadiantFleet

I have the same problem. Exactly as you state, I think it was a windows update that broke the game, but I'm not positive. Very disappointing that a game that has worked so reliably suddenly just starts failing with "not responding" errors.
RadiantFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
stopgap

I haven't changed any drivers, the only things I can think of that I've installed recently are Steam client updates and Windows updates. Something to do with the cloud maybe?

I'm going to try uninstalling it, sanitising the drive and reinstalling it. I'll report back.
stopgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #5

Exactly the same issues for me. I installed a windows update then that was it. After doing the not responding thing for a while it now simply quits to desktop during the loading screens.

At least this is a documented problem for a bunch of people. Hopefully it'll get solved soon.

Gutted really, I was a third of the way through a 64 turn golden age at turn 1150 on a marathon game
17121712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #6

Perhaps it's solved for you now too but just try verifying the game files in steam.
17121712 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series