Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #46
Polendino

The Ignore function serves as a way to help you ignore users who grind your gears. However, there's no precedent for banning them from your threads outright; you make the thread to further community discussion, not to get some petty jab back at someone who disagreed with you.

I don't think I've ever used the ignore function. I prefer to deal with people who disagree with me straight up instead of going "Hup, better make sure I never see you again!". However, I'm sure I'm on several Ignore lists, and I'd be quite upset if that prevented me from participating in discussion with other, sane people.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #47
marie pavie

The gamers life is already one big Ignore function anyway, why add to it?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...go_outside.jpg
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #48
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie pavie View Post
The gamers life is already one big Ignore function anyway, why add to it?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...go_outside.jpg
Goodness what a sophisticated, mature, well-considered response. If you don't like gamers why are you hanging out in a gamer forum ?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #49
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliolli View Post
Every now and then the mods get an urge to swing the banhammer around. Woe to those who get caught in the way.
We don't do such things around here. Even if we're in a foul mood. We just do reports and people eventually get banned. Some people around here don't look like they got a high infraction points but they do. So when we just issue another infraction they get banned. At some point we just happen get several people when going through infractions.

As for the ignore function to be upgraded. The way it works now is just fine. The forum is public so anyone is allowed to post in the thread.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #50
marie pavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxmc View Post
Goodness what a sophisticated, mature, well-considered response. If you don't like gamers why are you hanging out in a gamer forum ?
Who said I don't like gamers? I said gamers ignore others too much.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #51
dxmc

Well that's a sweeping generalization. There are millions and millions of gamers out there and what does ignoring others too much mean ?. And how does your comment relate to this discussion in a meaningful way ? The OP raised a serious point, a lot of gamers get very discouraged when trying to connect with other gamers in this forum due to constant interference from a certain group of long-term users.And, as I know from having submitted several reports over the last few months, reporting is ineffective.

A quick boo at your post history reveals that all your posts are in off-topic. In the last couple of days youv'e made over 50 posts in about a dozen and a half off-topic threads, a considerable number of those in the instant and moment thread. In contrast, in the last few days I've made about a dozen and a half posts in half a dozen different sub-forums, including off-topic, help and tips, suggestions, and several specific game sub-forums.

So it's quite clear exactly what kind of forum member you are and what kind of forum member I am.And I personally agree that there either needs to be more responsible moderation of these forums or, alternatively,some better mechanism, however it's characterized, to allow individual members to gain better control over who they have to deal with when they come here to discuss games and game-related issues.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #52
Zero_Vector

Quote:
So it's quite clear exactly what kind of forum member you are and what kind of forum member I am.
Yeah, you're the kind who takes it way too seriously and spends time looking up people's post history.

This is the off topic forum - it's not just for games and game related issues.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #53
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Vector View Post
Yeah, you're the kind who takes it way too seriously and spends time looking up people's post history.

This is the off topic forum - it's not just for games and game related issues.
Well that's an interesting question. You could just as easily argue that off-topic means game-related in the sense that when we're not discussing hardware, technical issues, etc., we can come here and have a more informal, open discussion of issues like DRM,game marketing, etc. I think that that is a little closer to what it was intended to be as opposed to a sort of chat room where a few people hang out endlessly discussing every little aspect of their day-to-day lives.

And no, I don't take it too seriously. At my age and in my circumstances there are a lot of other things I need to take a lot more seriously. But I don't see anything inconsistent with my age and circumstances, on the one hand, and having a great time playing Dead Space 2 or CoD.And, when I'm taking a break from gaming or having a coffee and relaxing I like to stop by and get info on the latest deals, share gaming experiences and just have a little more contact with a broader, more international group of people.

So I think that it is a very good idea to think and to talk about just what off-topic should be and to try to make a contribution to improving the forum experience rather than just taking a thats-the-way-it-is attitude.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #54
bluz74

As Zefar mentioned, it's a public forum, how users participate in it is up to the user. Mods and admins are the ones that decide whether user's are using it properly. What each subforum is for is pretty well outlined in the forum descriptions and the rules and guidelines. You stick to those and you'll have a fun and productive experience. Just make sure you buckle up and keep your hands and feet inside the post at all times.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #55
Zero_Vector

Quote:
I think that that is a little closer to what it was intended to be as opposed to a sort of chat room where a few people hang out endlessly discussing every little aspect of their day-to-day lives.
I've been here since 2004, and that has never been the case as far as I can see. It's been "off-topic" which can be game related (and is - for the most part), but can also cover many other topics such as movies/music/news/tech/and many others. But not politics and religion or related grey areas. "Blog" posts like aspects of people's day to day lives are not allowed. But if someone has an interesting experience that others can relate to I can't really see the harm in it.

As I said, there are a LOT of general game/game industry related posts in off-topic, so it's not to hard to post in those, and ignore the others.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #56
dxmc

Here's a practical, straightforward suggestion.Threads that have gone on for a very long time should either be made sticky or closed. Some long-running threads may continue to generate useful info, like discussions of server downtimes,and have appropriately been made sticky.But other long-running threads just seem to be an attraction for a certain crowd. Just look at whats been posted in that instant and moment thread recently.

Some threads, like show us a picture, etc., have been made sticky.That keeps those threads out of the general day-to-day discussion and makes them easier to avoid and that is how a lot of other forums handle those threads. But there are other threads which could be added to that list without upsetting anyone if you do not agree with the idea that those kinds of threads should be retired after a certain amount of time.

This all falls into the category of responsible administration, which seems to be the underlying issue which this discussion keeps returning to.

Last edited by dxmc: 02-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #57
monkeedude1212

Stickying TIAM would be the death of us all.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #58
marie pavie

I'll just reply with a world famous metaphor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c412hqucHKw
Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #59
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie pavie View Post
I'll just reply with a world famous metaphor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c412hqucHKw
I really fail to see the relevance of your comment. Do you have anything on point to contribute ?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #60
marie pavie

Quote:
I really fail to see the relevance of your comment.
Yes, you do.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic