Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake

Old 02-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Danny_g13

SLI available - but it's flawed

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223180

This guide shows fully how to enable SLI in Alan Wake, but it comes at a cost.

Yes, it scales really really well and the framerate will sky rocket, but I encountered 2 killer problems which forced me to go back to single GPU.

1: For some totally unknown reason my mouse would stop responding regularly and I'd hear the windows beep when you enable a USB device. Then it would respond again. Doesn't happen with one GPU.

2: Serious visual artifacts with fog in particular. Plain terrain is absolutely fine, but there are definitely glitches in the effects.

Just posted this in case anyone at least wants to check it out - but I guess we'll have to wait till Remedy and Nvidia conjure up a 'remedy' for these problems and we get official SLI support without drawbacks.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
pzotti

It's not the official one.
pzotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Danny_g13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzotti View Post
It's not the official one.
I...just said that?
Danny_g13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
pzotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_g13 View Post
I...just said that?
So why posting the same problem over and over again ? (Yes, doing a search on forum help sometimes)

It clearly says that there is artifact issue with this "method".

Just wait until they release the official one.
pzotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
HJP

Sorry, but using the FEAR 2 profile is old news. It scales well, but you get serious black flickering and other artifacts.
HJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
cyborg34573

Yeah Fear2 SLI compatibility flag is old news, i woudnt advice anybody to try this, scaling is good but the screen flickers for a bit and youl get artifacts all over the place right after, it could be doing damage to the cards so yeah just be safe and wait for the official SLI support.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
JK_DC

The screen is black for like 2-3 seconds then everything is fine if you use the -noblur flag. I already beat the game and DLC using it.
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Dingo

looks like we will have to wait another week for the next alan wake patch and hopefully the new nvidia beta drivers as well.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
yapchagi

we know about this FEAR 2 SLI profile already. It's old news.
yapchagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
yapchagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
looks like we will have to wait another week for the next alan wake patch and hopefully the new nvidia beta drivers as well.
or more like 1 month. Look at Serious Sam 3 BFE. It's been 2 months and still no SLI profile that works well.
yapchagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
Danny_g13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DC View Post
The screen is black for like 2-3 seconds then everything is fine if you use the -noblur flag. I already beat the game and DLC using it.
Ignoring the other replies to this thread which suggest I've almost posted something offensive...

-noblur flag? Where do you put that in?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Danny_g13

Never mind, I found it.

And the USB problem was caused by overheating of the GTX cards - my USB root hub is faulty in general and the cards heating it up like crazy during this game wasn't helping. So put the mouse on PS/2 instead. Solved that one. Also got put on that noblur flag and now happily playing with SLI on. Once the initial flickering stops it seems fine.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
PurSpyk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapchagi View Post
or more like 1 month. Look at Serious Sam 3 BFE. It's been 2 months and still no SLI profile that works well.
Yes, poor state of affairs, and users with multi card machines cannot use their hardware efficiently.

I also have SS3, and want Alan Wake but will rather wait this time.
PurSpyk!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
MarkusRMD

Remedy Games
For the technically minded only! Absolutely no Warranty!

Update 2 didn't quite make it to Steam this week, but we have a beta up. And if you are interested in checking out where we are with the SLI support, it's possible in theory. But to be clear: IT'S NOT READY OR FLAWLESS, there's some flickering with autoexposure and issues with the taken blur effect left.

The testing procedure would be as follows:
1) Add -beta AWBeta (case sensitive) to Steam client shortcut and restart Steam
2) Download the v1.03 update for Alan Wake
3) Copy steamapps\common\alan wake\alanwake.exe to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe
4) Create a shortcut to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe and add -gpucount=2 command line parameter - start game with the shortcut

With this version though it should be possible to create a SLI profile for AlanWake.exe that would work without the renaming trick.

Anyway, if you try it out, let us know what you think.

The beta hopefully has fixed some other issues but has not been fully tested so some new problems can appear. Refer to the Update2 list here to see what else has been done. http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7978

NOTE: With AMD Crossfire we recommend running as is - no beta, no tricks, no command line parameters, just using the AMD 12.1CAP3 AlanWake profile.
MarkusRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
teppo_merilokki

After quick testing with update 2 SLI there is definetly some improvement and only anoying artifact was the taken blur thing.I use 295gtx and SLI gave some very nice performance boost and I used max settings but only 2msaa and game was pretty smooth and fps didnt really go below 30.With SLI off game really eats my gpu when maxed expsecially volumetric light.Game really put my gpu to work even when SLI was on and both gpu:s usage was often 99%.Keep up the good work!!
teppo_merilokki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake