Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
sirskeleton

Worried about intrusion effecting VAC

I got an email tonight about a forgotten password request with a confirmation code. I did not make any such request and am worried that I might have been the target of a hack attempt. I immediately changed my steam password as well as my email password within 30 minutes of learning of this. My email password had been changed as well within the last week. Is there any chance that my account had been used? I didn't seem to log out of steam at the time. Is there any chance my VAC status would be at risk?

Thanks,

sirskeleton
Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
kakkerlak

Banned
if somebody steal your account and join a VAC secure server with cheats yes you are at risk of a VAC ban.

VAC is not the steam police only a few games are VAC enabled on steam.

make sure you have steam guard enabled and secure the email to the MAX.
kakkerlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
sirskeleton

yeah steam guard's enabled and secured the email with new passwords, new passwords on everything. Steam was online the whole time which I see as a good sign. No new servers played on my history list. already super paranoid about this stuff, this just goes to show how important it is.

sirskeleton
sirskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
kakkerlak

Banned
somebody probably just type an account name wrong or cd key with the password recovery.
gmail has extra (phone)security maybe someting you want to use.

always make sure you change passwords on a clean PC.
run spybotS&D(no teatimer) if you did not use any extra tools.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
sirskeleton

Yeah that's what I am hoping as well. Thanks for the heads up on the gmail tip. Just set that up right now.

sirskeleton
Old 02-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
Tito Shivan

Just to play on the safe side, you can also deauthorize all computers from within the steamguard options. So any login try from anither computer will trigger a code request.

And do not repeat passwords on steam & email, or use easy ones (Most common security flaws out there)
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
kakkerlak

Banned
steam guard shifts the weak spot from the steam login to the email login.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
sirskeleton

Yup did that as well almost immediately. Since I have had time to actually sit down and think more about it the email with the forgotten password message was unopened when I got to it. I must tell you its one heck of an eyeopener. Especially this late at night. Haha.

sirskeleton
Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
iviv

Thing is, anyone can request a password reset for any account, all you need to know is the steam account name. Enter the account name into the password reset box and it sends you that password reset email.
I'm pretty sure that inside the email there will be something saying 'If you believe you have received this in error, ignore it.' Or something like that. There's no hacking needed, you could stick in a ton of names and so on and send people these messages.

One thing though, are you sure it was a genuine email? Did you click any links in it, as it could have been a pishing email designed to make you load up an infected site?
iviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirskeleton View Post
I got an email tonight about a forgotten password request with a confirmation code. I did not make any such request and am worried that I might have been the target of a hack attempt. I immediately changed my steam password as well as my email password within 30 minutes of learning of this. My email password had been changed as well within the last week. Is there any chance that my account had been used? I didn't seem to log out of steam at the time. Is there any chance my VAC status would be at risk?

Thanks,

sirskeleton
No, you are not at any risk. When another person abuses your account, you get logged out of it, as other reports say.
Protoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Gaomon

What's most annoying and frighting is when people try to gain access to your account they can start being utterly mean to people on your friends list under your name and block and remove them and then gaining access to your steam profile and modify it. But good thing Steam Guard is there. I hope valve continues to tighten security more for steam and reduce the amount of hackers and account Stealer.

One thing is for sure though that I never thought about someone could be listening on the forums to attack pacific people just to get there accounts.
Gaomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
No amount of security measures will ever protect people from themselves. Ever.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
kakkerlak

Banned
email verification and steam guard did not seem to change anything.
we see just as much or more hijackings as before.

keeping the account name private and a good (stored) password is plenty security.
if you dont gift your login or install malware its all good.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion