Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback

Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
alexpkeaton

Question Four item drops, then nothing

[EDIT 2-20-12: Still having this issue and need suggestions. I have just contacted Steam Support over this and I am appending my recent comment on the issue to this initial post.]

I'm a new player - I started playing on Thursday (Feb. 9). I checked the posting rules and I believe I have placed this question in the right place and that it is legit to ask it here - I saw a couple people with a similar issue to mine post about this in the last month. I knew that there was an item drop system and, for the first few hours, I had four item drops over the course of 2 or 3 hours. Then, however, the drops just stopped. No matter how long I play, I won't get any drops. Before my first drop I picked up The Cloak and Dagger from the store, so I have had a premium account.

I have primarily been playing on 2 LotusClan servers, though I did briefly play on a couple others. I have 19 hours played per Steam, though a couple of those may be idling on the main menu.

My research into the issue on the TF2 wiki tells me that I should have been getting item drops for about 11 hours before they stopped. And, having TF2 installed (though unplayed) for a few weeks now, I don't know if my weekly time cap for item drops should have increased to 22 hours or not. But, as I said, the drops stopped after about the first 2 or 3 hours. I have received achievement reward drops normally and items from "Poker Night at the Inventory" have also been added to my backpack normally upon starting the game. I haven't had any miscellaneous drops (crate drops, hat drops, name tag drops) at all.

Can someone tell me what, if anything, I could be doing wrong?

Thanks.

2-19-2012 comment:
Ok - I am now in week 2 of playing TF2, and I have waited and played several times for a long period to be sure - and the problem persists. This time, for about 8 hours of gameplay - I've gotten one item drop and a crate drop, at the same time. It was funny how it happened too - the first time I booted up after the weekly clock reset, I began playing, and after my very first death, I was awarded with an item AND a crate. And then, 8 hours of nothing.

I refuse to accept that I can reach my maximum drop limit for the week in 4 minutes. I will not be swayed from this conclusion. What is going on here? Can a moderator or someone with actual knowledge comment on this? The official TF2 wiki was quite clear on this - that I should receive item drops on a sporadic basis for approximately 11 hours of gameplay each week.

TF2 isn't worth playing if I can't get the drops - I was thinking about buying items including a key to my crate, but it is no use if I'm not getting a fair amount of drops like everyone else, so Valve would be well served by answering this question. Playing TF2 beta, I get drops at a regular clip, not so with regular TF2. Why?

Last edited by alexpkeaton: 02-20-2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Noted I contacted support - Included recent problems put in a comment below to ensure readers see that the problem is ongoing
Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
razornfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpkeaton View Post
TF2 wiki tells me that I should have been getting item drops for about 11 hours.
No. You have a chance to get items for a maximum of 11 hours, with 1 item every 30-70 minutes. That means you could only get 4 or 5 items and have your drop cap reached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpkeaton View Post
I don't know if my weekly time cap for item drops should have increased to 22 hours or not.
They didn't increase
razornfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
alexpkeaton

EDIT: I get the idea of the "maximum" - but read this from the Team Fortress 2 wiki and explain where I am mistaken...

Quote:
The current item drop system was introduced on April 20, 2010.[1] Players are guaranteed to find items at regular intervals of 30 to 70 minutes, with an average interval of 50 minutes. The former system rolled at random intervals to determine if a player received an item drop, resulting in unlucky streaks for some players where no items were found for long periods of time. The current system has removed this possibility and increased the rate at which items drop.

There is no cap on the amount of items that can be received per week, but instead a cap on the amount of playtime in which drops can occur. This cap has been estimated to be 10 hours each week. Playing beyond the cap will not yield additional items[2] . Playing less than the cap carries over unused time to the next week, increasing that week's cap to a maximum of two weeks' worth of play time. It has been estimated that a maximum of 6 to 12 items can be found each week within the allotted base of 11 hours per week. Mann Co. Supply Crates and other usable items drop on a separate timer, meaning that these items do not affect the interval between regular drops.[3][4] The system resets each player's playtime cap every Thursday at approximately 00:00 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
My items stopped dropping after 2 hours - 3 hours MAX. For the remaining 8 hours, I played and received no drops whatsoever. I already knew that after 11 hours I wouldn't get drops - but why didn't I get drops for hours 4-11?
alexpkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
razornfs

You think that you will get items for a period of 11 hours. That is not the case. You can reach your maximum drop cap in less than 11 hours, even in (as you said) 2-3 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
There is no cap on the amount of items that can be received per week, but instead a cap on the amount of playtime in which drops CAN occur.
can, not will

Last edited by razornfs: 02-12-2012 at 01:10 AM.
razornfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
alexpkeaton

If you are right, the wiki needs to be rewritten as it does not clarify the issue. It should expound more on the word "can" - as written it does not describe any "average" cap time as found by players - as they seem to have the mathematics of the drop system locked down.

The wiki says I am guaranteed to receive drops every 50 minutes on average to a time cap, and that time cap is estimated to be 11 hours, and yet, if you are right, I am guaranteed to receive drops on average every 50 minutes but I am not guaranteed the time limit? It's confusing. As a new player it would just be nice to get some items besides achievements because I'd like to start trading without spending money. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
ardi1230

This might not be the case, but if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that trading for something, or receiving items outside of drops, can mess up your drops. Might have to do with the achievement and the promo items you got, and the game registering it as a drop or something. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It might just have to do with valve messing up the drop system somehow. It's been happening a lot lately.
ardi1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
alexpkeaton

Ok - I am now in week 2 of playing TF2, and I have waited and played several times for a long period to be sure - and the problem persists. This time, for about 8 hours of gameplay - I've gotten one item drop and a crate drop, at the same time. It was funny how it happened too - the first time I booted up after the weekly clock reset, I began playing, and after my very first death, I was awarded with an item AND a crate. And then, 8 hours of nothing.

I refuse to accept that I can reach my maximum drop limit for the week in 4 minutes. I will not be swayed from this conclusion. What is going on here? Can a moderator or someone with actual knowledge comment on this? The official TF2 wiki was quite clear on this - that I should receive item drops on a sporadic basis for approximately 11 hours of gameplay each week.

TF2 isn't worth playing if I can't get the drops - I was thinking about buying items including a key to my crate, but it is no use if I'm not getting a fair amount of drops like everyone else, so Valve would be well served by answering this question. Playing TF2 beta, I get drops at a regular clip, not so with regular TF2. Why?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
alexpkeaton

Now week 3, and it's the same issue as week 2. On my second spawn (first respawn), I AGAIN got one item and one crate, and now, after about 4 hours of gameplay since the clock reset, no item drops!

Steam Support didn't even read my letter. I told them I visited the wiki and used the forums and knew about the item cap, and they just told me to visit the wiki and told me about the item cap. It took them 4 days to come up with that, too.

I uninstalled and reinstalled TF2 before Thursday's rollover.

WHAT IS GOING ON?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Metenight777

Im guessing ur F2P? If so, then thats normal. When i created a second account i was F2P for a while. Got only a few drops. If ur premium thats still just unlucky. 4-5 definetly isnt much, but some ppl have had worst.

F2P get less drops then premiums.

Also, dont worry so much about it dude. Vanilla items rock others :P. Cept maybe the degreaser. And the loch and load :P

Last edited by Metenight777: 02-26-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Metenight777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
CapoeiraZX

Drops have always been glitchy.
CapoeiraZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
VinnyI82

Happens to me too. I got 1 item and 1 crate on friday. (2) items since reset. It's now Wednesday and I ain't getting anything else.

Actually this happens to me EVERY week.
VinnyI82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback