Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tom Clancy collection > Splinter Cell series

Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
hjkl6677

Banned
Conviction - low frame rate, low GPU and CPU usage

I have an i7-2600K and superclocked GTX 570, so don't blame my hardware. My frame rate in the single-player campaign often drops to 35 - 40 while none of the cores are fully utilized and GPU usage is only 55 - 60%. I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers. Decreasing or increasing the GPU clock speed doesn't change the frame rate (the GPU usage only goes up or down accordingly). It happens in both Windows 7 and XP (with older drivers), though the drop in frame rate isn't quite as bad in XP.

Has anyone else run into and/or solved a frame rate problem like this? I found similar reports online without a solution.

Last edited by hjkl6677: 02-20-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Teh_Saccade

Which game are you talking about here?
Conviction?

Try unplugging all the monitoring software you are using.
If you desperately need a FPS counter, try FRAPS.

Also - the lower the GPU usage, the better mate. That's called efficiency

Might seem a dumb question, but have you tried running the game without all the needless overclocking?
Teh_Saccade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Grock65

re:

yep quit overclocking or turn ya vid card down some notches older games tend to not work very well with really powerfull systems.
Grock65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Rogue_Hellsin

Same issues here and with the same rig without the overcloking. I installed it yesterday and try to play with very full quality, 3mins later the fps crashed like the Hindenburg. So i tried a low quality from Nvidia3D vision + HDR + occlusion + v-sync = desactivated, high quality in details of images and shadows, 1920x1080 (at the beginning i put everythings) to Nvidia3D vision + HDR + occlusion + v-sync = desactivated, low quality in details of images and shadows 1280x768. *OUCH* And the game is still kind of laggy.

I called ubi today and they send me a lot of things to do. Well, i'll see. But i found a "temporarly" solution: when your framerate is decreasing, pause it, alt+tab, back to desktop for 3sec and reopen your game window. It works for me, i hope it will for you.
Rogue_Hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Nickj360

May be a dumb question but does what you guys are saying about overclocking apply to videocards that come pre-overclocked...?
Nickj360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Rogue_Hellsin

Hi again, here the trying to fix from ubisoft which they send me :
- deselect all programms which starts with the boot of your computer
- delete all old registry key and temp files
- with steam, do a verification of your files game
And of course, it doesn't works. So i called again ubi and the guy told me, here i quote: "your config is too high for this game. SP:C wasn't built on and for core i7. It is possible your problem came from here. Besides, try do launch this game with this graphic card is like to drive a Renault 4L with a Ferrari engine" ^^. I love this guy. For the moment my alt+tab thing is the solution and they continue to find something. I wish them good luck !
Rogue_Hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tom Clancy collection > Splinter Cell series