Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Morbid_Myths

Please help, need a fix for Dark Forces 2

Ok, so I got this on the recent sale, and I'm a huge fan of the series so getting them for 12 dollars was a steal, but upon launching Dark Forces 2, This happens every time I move the camera.
http://imgur.com/lhcyC
If anyone can help me fix this, I will be eternally grateful, and you can have all of my coal.
Cheers,
~Morbie
Old 12-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
SPG

The following is what worked to get the game running properly for me.

There are a number of issues with this game, one of which is a failure to launch from the menu or crashes when returning to the menu to save. After some trial and error, the following is what worked for me for both JK2 & Mysteries of the Sith. Do this for each game.

•Run in compatibility mode Windows 98

•Install the ddraw.dll file from massassi link http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showt...-Knight-issues into main game folder.(reset resolution after this)

•Ingame menu - enable 3D acceleration

•Ingame menu - disable back buffer in system memory

There's a thread about various fixes somewhere in the forum.

Good luck
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Morbid_Myths

Ok, so apparently I can't get into the massassi forums as "my ip has been banned" even though I've never been on the forums before, and this will sound very stupid, but how do I run it in 98 compatibility?
Morbid_Myths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
SPG

Okay, try this link. The ddraw.dll file for downloading is in the section "announcements" at top of page. I think it's a zip file, so once you download it and scan it with anti-virus unzip it.

http://www.jkhub.net/

To run in compatibility mode go to

Steam/SteamApps/common/Star Wars Jedi Knight and highlight it. (This is where you put the unzipped ddraw.dll file)

Find the .exe file, right click it and then open properties. There should be a tab in the dialogue box labeled "compatibility". Click on this. Put a checkmark in the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then pick windows 98 from the drop down menu. Click OK and then close the box.

Don't forget to also do the in-menu adjustments I gave you above.

If you need further help I'll be back tomorrow around the new sales time.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Morbid_Myths

Thanks a ton, man. Everything is working fine now. I am in your debt.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Morbid_Myths

Also if you want 1 coal, a 25% off valve a a 50% off "Trapped Dead" you are welcome to have them in return for your help.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
SPG

I wouldn't take anything for helping you. You can give me some rep when you get some, if you want, but it's not necessary.

One thing I would ask is that you help other people where you can. People helped me and I passed it along.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your games.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Topmounter

I came here for this fix... thanks!

I have fond memories of playing this game back in the day... funny how it looks much better in my memory than it does nowadays :-)
Topmounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Treychik

IDK what I do wrong, but I can't get these games running (did just like you said - ddraw and all the compatibility moves) - nothing helps...Can anyone help with this problem? - trying to open game - only my steam status changes for "in game" for 3-4 seconds and then nothing happens...
Treychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
OptimusHun

Well, the game runs fine back 2010. I don't change anything, expect XP reinstall. I'm using the Geforce 275.33 driver and with 3D accelration the textures are... tearing terribly. In software mode it's okay, but about 2 yearas ago it worked well, maybe the new driver or there's specific nVidida Control Panel settings?

Oh, and I can't find download the ddraw.dll file.
OptimusHun is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II