Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Acronychous

Not finding items, This the reason?

Playtime (hours):
55.9 last two weeks

Good god. Could this be why I haven't found ANYTHING in the last 3 days?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Ratallideth

Ill explain it to you:
Each week (Starting at Thursdays) You can find like 8 items (or at least thats what i find), finding 1 each hour. When you have all the 8 drops, you cant find anything else until the next Thursday and so on.
Ratallideth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
moussekateer

This explains it

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system
moussekateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
cureforhumanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratallideth View Post
Ill explain it to you:
Each week (Starting at Thursdays) You can find like 8 items (or at least thats what i find), finding 1 each hour. When you have all the 8 drops, you cant find anything else until the next Thursday and so on.
Time varies by time zone, US servers usually roll over Wednesday evenings I think.
cureforhumanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Ratallideth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cureforhumanity View Post
Time varies by time zone, US servers usually roll over Wednesday evenings I think.
Yeah, made a little mistake there. (In fact, also on my timezone it gets restarted in wednesdats)
Ratallideth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Acronychous

Wouldn't it make more sense to reward the players who dedicate time to the game? (Actually do something in game to allocate a sum of points, to stop idlers)

I see this system rewarding people who don't play. Juss' sayin'
Acronychous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
moussekateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronychous View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to reward the players who dedicate time to the game? (Actually do something in game to allocate a sum of points, to stop idlers)

By which metric would you determine if somebody is playing the game? Realize that anything you come up with can easily be worked around with scripts to make it look like people are 'playing' the game.

Also there is no issue with the current system, idlers can idle as long as they want but they won't get more items than you thanks to to the time cap.
moussekateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Wigg1es

Quote:

This is the way of gaming these days. Just look at MMOs. Even in premium montly-sub games (I'm looking at you WoW), either you can buy what you want, or the developers will devise a system that will give you what you want with minimal, or at least below-average effort.

Everything has been diluted beyond recognition to be palatable to the masses.

Its no longer about creating an elite gaming community and giving players rewards and recognition for being above-average. Its purely about numbers and bodies.

Which I should state isn't necessarily a bad thing. As an aging gamer (not that I'm old, just that I'm seeing my real-world responsibilities increase as I get older), I've reaped the benefits of these systems, even though I have less time to spend on games.

The point is, good players are still good players, and bad players, even with good gear, are still bad (assuming the game has some sort of proper item-balancing).

Last edited by Wigg1es: 03-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Wigg1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Toadgineer

Maybe the drop cap was intentional from a long time ago to not only limit idling, but to also prepare everyone for the Manconomy Update? I mean, we have multiple ways of obtaining our stuff (be it drop, craft, store, or trade). If there was no drop cap, why bother with the store, since you could've just idled your way to whatever it is you are looking for?

I miss the days where I could just get on, start playing, and know that I'd get items as long as the item server wasn't acting up again (and not have to worry about some cap).
Toadgineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
cureforhumanity

Quote:

I always liked the idea of... at 20 hours per week you get a crate containing 5 - 8 totally random items. Weapons mostly, but also could be tools, misc, regular hats, etc. Opened with a key like other crates. For those wanting to get extra items they can choose to open it. If not the crate expires as the item period rolls over.

Valve makes a bit extra money on keys, those looking for extra items or that like unboxing get to uncrate a box of goodies, so to speak. Everyone wins.
cureforhumanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
Kozmo

Quote:

Yes, it absolutely would. It would also make sense for you to unlock weapons through being good at the game rather than randomly or through crafting. However, TF2 isn't really about making sense. It's more about Valve testing things out for their other games, these days. Hopefully TF3 will be a bit better in that sense.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
F2P Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
Hopefully TF3 will be a bit better in that sense.
I thought Valve can't count to three.
F2P Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
aw3s0m3m4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2P Scout View Post
I thought Valve can't count to three.
No, they're just afraid of the number three. (See: Level 3 Sentry)
aw3s0m3m4n is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2