Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2 > Custom Campaigns / Maps

Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #451
shotgunefx

Well maybe just a little more geometry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku8xmQ3-b9s

shotgunefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #452
shotgunefx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapwizard View Post
Some fence models use a single face with a double-side texture. Those type don't work with the textureshadows (that I know of).

Other fences use a nicer alpha texture and two faces (one in each direction)
Those do work on textureshadows when their texture or model is added to the RAD file.
For those interested in texture shadows see here for a tutorial:
http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/27738
And see my WOLD winner for examples of what kind of boost in shadow detail it provides: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5298/...8464afcf_o.jpg
Here's a blast from the past, mystery solved (mostly).

The problem with the fence alphas? They have a .vtf in $baseTexture

ie: $baseTexture "models/props_urban/fence001.vtf"

I made a little window grate last night and sure enough it worked fine with forcetextureshadow in the rad file.

So I decided to peek at the "broken" fences again, for the life of me couldn't see any difference between what I was doing and what they were.

I ended up copying the entire vmt parameters into my own tex and still fine.

So after MUCH head-scratching, the only thing I could figure was the .vtf extension. Took me awhile to "see it"

So I tried editing it but didn't work. I tried adding it to a vpk, manually adding it under update, still no luck. I had a feeling it wasn't picking up my changes so I just hacked my own vmt to use that fence texture, sure enough...

And sure enough, if I add the .vtf back, it breaks it. So how do I get vrad to see this? I'd really rather not decompile/mod all these models if not needed.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #453
shotgunefx

Here's the solution I came up with, I took the misbehaving materials and packed them in an addon.

Then I made a new directory under the game root called vrad_patch, I copied the addon to it as pak01_dir.vpk, then added the following to gameinfo > SearchPaths

Game vrad_patch

Much better, though I'm afraid what it'll do to my full blown compiles when I add them back in.

Pretty much the following will get you all the fences and whatnot, provided you list the models in your rad file.

models/props_urban/fence001.vmt
models/props_urban/fence002.vmt
models/props_urban/fence003.vmt
Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #454
Rellik_jmd

Too bad you had to go through all that work, but the fixed shadow looks great.
Rellik_jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #455
shotgunefx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik_jmd View Post
Too bad you had to go through all that work, but the fixed shadow looks great.
It's definitely an improvement, unfortunately, won't matter in most places because the lightmap scales are mostly low due to the size of my map. But even in those areas, it'll look better than no shadows or a big dark blocky one
Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #456
Keldorn

Thats what the parish map 2 guantlet is missing. That fence shadows on the ground. Lots of fence there.
Keldorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #457
Acermors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldorn View Post
Thats what the parish map 2 guantlet is missing. That fence shadows on the ground. Lots of fence there.
Agreed. Shotgun, you mind posting that .vpk?
Acermors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #458
shotgunefx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acermors View Post
Not at all, I have some other related overrides (so I can work out of a vpk), I'll separate them out and post them in a bit.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #459
shotgunefx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acermors View Post
I put it in a separate thread rather than buried on page 30 of this one.

Definitely looks better

So many signs to make.

For the standard stuff, not so bad, but they are still missing a lot, like they only have a one way sign, for one direction on one side of the street. And other sign heights are kind of random

I'm tempted to make them bigger than IRL as when you're not zoomed in, they tend to be hard to read.

Last edited by shotgunefx: 03-01-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #460
shotgunefx

Still cranking away on a detail pass, I've been making props, adding particles,decals/overlays etc to try and make the map a bit less sterile. It's definitely better but I think I'm going to have to make some new sparser trash decals and what not. Really need more variety.

I tried increasing the luxel density to see how the fence shadows would come out, honestly, outside of blowing my budget (hunk overflows), in most areas it looked the same, and where it didn't, it looked worse, the shadows were far too sharp or you'd have a fire barrel casting a fence shadow on a wall 80ft away and just looked weird, so back most of them went for the exteriors.

BTW, here's a more recent overview, outside of some refinement, I'm just about ready to call map 2 done.

Here's a weird bug, this one police car (and it's from an instance), it's headlight model will often pop through the beam_spotlight's and it's really annoying visually. The other included instances don't have this happen and I don't know why

Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #461
shotgunefx

Still working on my detail pass, just so much stuff missing for the breakdown of society... and on that note... PROPS!

First thing I tried which was pretty easy, was to just take the stock cars that use same texture and burn them in Blender.

Outside of being a bit too dark, looks pretty damn good for a quicky and a 512 tex. I'll probably do the bodies over, as is a common l4d2 complaint, they have no legs , I just did a quick pass and didn't think you'd be able to see them, I may actually make "good" corpses as a separate model to use across the cars. Probably will lighten up the rear unburned area a bit. You can do some cool shadowing with the light inside the cars, shadowing the A-pillars, but didn't look quite right so for the big areas, I took them out for this.

Buses will probably get the same treatment but I'll need to cut in all those windows.

Here's the one I'm excited about, what we Irish of Southie refer to as the Paddy Wagon, was hoping to have it in game tonight, but I need to sleep and the textures need more love...

As you can see, I clipped the front from the stock pickup. It's a bit of a mix between the current wagon styles and the ones from a decade ago, which actually fits pretty well with the game.

The model itself was pretty easy, using the old school police logo turned out to be a huge pain. I couldn't find a good picture anywhere. which was pretty annoying because I know have a dozen copies floating around on mass cards, just couldn't find them so I ended up just vectoring it as close as I could.

I'll need to work on those cruisers soon too. On a related note, fire engines coming soon, one of my BFD friends is going to get some nice NESW pictures during this week's engine inspection. Really helpful. Models vary a lot and it's really hard to find a good set of pics for any one. Especially the top.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #462
shotgunefx

Still needs a little work (and spec/bump) but not too bad. I ended up retaining the 1024 tex though I wanted to go bigger. I basically just moved everything around, removed what wasn't used by this truck and was able to free up half the texture which I had to mirror the heck out of. I wish the lettering was a bit sharper, but don't think it's worth another 1024x1024

Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #463
shotgunefx

Added an alpha mask to the truck as I wanted to give it some variety and be able to use it for a Ryder type truck, things like that. Not too bad for a PS job.

Needed to be able to tint trailers as well so I did the same except in blender as the geometry reflects the material boundaries where the de_nuke truck did not.

Been working on particles a bit. I modded the fog_volume one so it didn't look like white smoke against the zfog, and it looks much better but I still can't for the life of me get it to fade out reasonable, just like stock, it pops out which is annoying.

Not a very good pic as it's so sparse here but when it's thick, it blends much better.

Started reworking the police cars, still very early but you get the idea

I'll say one of the most annoying things is when my steam install gets bugged and I get that just spike/stutter once every 2 or so seconds that seems to plague this game. I've had it for a couple weeks now and it's been so annoying.

Luckily it finally stopped for absolutely no reason (like always) and everything is running smooth as can be.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #464
shotgunefx

Not perfect, particularly the style of light bar, but close enough...

Interesting that the police_cab_city model (which this is a reworking of) well, the tex has a cab as well, but there doesn't seem to be the actual model for it.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #465
shotgunefx

Needs a little more work, still need to crib a lightbar on it, but not bad for a quickie. Probably will make a swat version as well.

Thinking maybe I'll make an open version with interior, seems like a good place for weapon pickups. Though the UV is pretty packed. Suppose it could be a separate model.

Hopefully for all this I can actually get the old cop infected to work again since they bugged the shadows with an update

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2 > Custom Campaigns / Maps