Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
DeadZeus

I finished the game so it was time to do some riddler stuff, i interogated a riddler guy to make the game save afterwards, exited, next day everything gone but i can still find a savegame in my steamfolder somewhere.. just got no idea what to do with it
DeadZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Moragami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Solomon View Post
i guess one of the reasons i haven't lost a savegame yet is because the game has not crashed on me yet. and also i don't seem to have any problems with the gfwl software. i just finished the last of the items in the riddles area. so i have the physical challenges riddles, and all the other riddles/trophies scattered throughout the game. I'm kinda dissapointed. i thought after going to all that extra effort, i would at least get some kind of cool reward (like playing the story as nightwing or robin). but nope not even a good job message. oh well. on to the challenge maps.
Wait until you earn the "Bronze Revenge" achievement (you get it from the combat challenge maps). After you get that achievement, be sure to exit the game immediately, VOILA! Your save will be gone!

Or don't do that... whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emisan View Post
The saves will "disappear" when there's a GFWL pop-up for the achievement while the game is saving. If you save again after the achievement pops up, the save will not disappear. Most people will not lose their saves during the course of the regular game because they usually do something else to force the game to save after getting an achievement. For most, the saves will disappear as they're going through the Riddler Challenges, because people are more likely to stop playing after they've gotten a challenge.
This is exactly correct.
Moragami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
MechaMage

Banned
Honestly, the whole encrypted save file thing is incredibly stupid.
MechaMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
KIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMage View Post
You'd think that... but yeah, you are perfectly right.
KIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
kramit

@DeadZeus, really? Hmm.... I'm sorry to hear that Especially since I just finished the game and have started doing that myself. From what I have read, you should back up your save game still because your corrupted save may be fixed when they finally release that patch, but until then you're probably screwed. However, I seem to recall reading elsewhere that they said they might not actually be able to recover already broken saves... So you may be screwed regardless. What a disaster this is. It's like the most important thing - make sure that under no circumstances will people lose their progress. It's a complete game-destroyer for the player base. And how long has the game been out now...

emisan, would be interested to hear your thoughts on what happened to DeadZeus?

@MechaMage, seriously. The problem with Microsoft is they are their own worst enemies. They get an idea, and hype it, and jump on it, and then WAY before it is finished they lose interest and abandon ship. They have SO many products and services that failed simply because they got bored and stopped paying attention. Sometimes they come back again, then disappear, repeat, then they re-brand and abandon all their adopters who are now jaded on their new service, I've even seen them splinter a service into two, screw up both, then merge them into one. Guess what? NO ONE CARES NOW, YOU RUINED YOUR CHANCES. Fool me once... They are assassinating their own brands and image, such as in the case with GFWL.

Now I hear they are merging GFWL into XBox.com or something. I can just see it now - massive breakage in legacy games due to the old service being abandoned and ignored, heavy handed consolization, ignoring us as we're under a banner that they feel they can make more money on through consoles. All they want to do is get you to come to XBox, not enjoy PC Gaming. Seriously guys, MAKE UP YOUR MINDS and send a clear message!!!

I wish they'd either leave this to people that know what they are doing, and care (Steam) or they would fix their PC Gaming endeavor, whatever it is called now. Make it no more intrusive than Steam, add value to it so developers will WANT to use it (like Steam) instead of just giving them money and forcing them, and add value to it so gamers will WANT to use it (like Steam) instead of just forcing them.

Most importantly, and add some first party games that will get some excitement (like Valve does). Games that you have the rights to already, that run on XBox and shouldn't be all that hard to port. Halo series, Gears series, Fable series. And not 2-3 years after everyone has forgotten about them and they are no longer relevant. And not half-efforts where you can't use a mouse to navigate menus or all the overlays assume you use an XBox pad even if there isn't one plugged in. And not partial series like Fable. Another fractured message. Here is Fable 1 and 3, super late, Fable 2? No chance. And stop forcing XBox exclusivity agreements that prevent developers from releasing their games on YOUR OTHER PLATFORM that you apparently care about, but obviously actually don't.

*pant pant*

Last edited by kramit: 02-28-2012 at 02:33 PM.
kramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #21
DeadZeus

Yea, i found a savefile in the 57400/remote folder on steamapps or something, the last date on it is when i last stopped playing. So its my original file, it just doesnt work lol
Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #22
oliathsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMage View Post
I agree - and the ONLY reason they do it is because of achievements on the xbox.

If you can believe it - there were a handful of (clearly very sad) individuals who were hacking their achievements to get a higher gamer score... which ultimately means nothing!

Because of this Microsoft started encrypting game saves. This was frustrating enough on the xbox since you suddenly could not share save games with your mates via memory stick. PS3 does it on some games too.

It's just stupid. I own the game - if I want to use someones save file or a trainer then why should that be of anyone's concern.
oliathsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #23
DeadZeus

So any news on the "fix"? i want to kick some arkham city scum
Old 03-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
kramit

@oliathsg, yeah no doubt. It wasn't thought out. It should not break if you reinstall your PC. If I back up the save, copy it to a new (or reinstalled computer) and log in with the same account, the save game should work fine. And clearly the implementation is so weird and flawed that it's super easy for developers to screw it up, BAC is not the first game to do so.

It's a flawed, poorly thought out, cop out way to protect gamer scores, which I'm sure majority of PC players couldn't care less about. The only people that care are those that have and use their XBox more than their PC, and then why would they play this on PC :P Some people care about Steam achievements but no one cares about GFWL. Get over it MS!

This is like Blizzard banning people from playing their licensed copy of Starcraft 2 because they used a trainer, because it meant they were unlocking their achievements online. WHO GIVE A CRAP?? I don't even want to play SC2 online, I bought it for the campaign, let me disable all the online achievement garbage so I can do what I want with the game. Developers are slowly eroding our control over our games. Custom servers, open mods, editable saves, trainers. Saints Row 3 has DLC that you can buy that includes all the cheats. I bet they would love to ban anyone that uses a cheater to muck around in the game, forcing them to buy the DLC to cheat instead. So backwards...

Cheating for achievements ... That is like paying someone money to level your MMO character. If you hate playing the game so much, then what the hell are you doing?? Play something you like O_O
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
kramit

Better yet, if you're gonna screw around so much on your player's save games, it should all go into the cloud. Do your mucking around there and add value for your users at the same time. Derp.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
DeadZeus

Damnit I want to play some Batman, how can they not fix this and leave us hanging??
Old 03-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #27
DeadZeus

The save file bug is in the patch that is currently in submission with G4WL, we are waiting for it to complete submission and final testing so we can confirm the release date.

We are confident this will be soon.

SarahMay

I pray it works
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
shruggie

So if you've been hit by this bull bug, does your savegame just not appear? In my case it's just "empty" all the slots on the list.

I am jarateed off! Not only do I have to log in to that bull GFWL crap, but I can't even finish the game? Here in Norway we have strong consumer protection laws, and I think it's weird that noone has sued these guys yet.
shruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #29
iforgotmyname

Forget Arkham City for a minute,

Now my Mass Effect 2 Character's appearance won't import into ME3 and ANYONE that imported a ME1 save to ME2 is affected in both Xbox and PC.

When will these tweny-somethings stop the laziness and BETA test!

Now I have to wait for a fix to play ME3 too!

I'm going back to Thief Fan Missions. At least I know they work and they are created by amateurs!
iforgotmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #30
HitDeity

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadZeus View Post
...I pray it works
Good luck with that. http://community.batmanarkhamcity.co...846#post244846

The ONLY person at WB/Rocksteady that's even willing to comment on the whole thing can't even guarantee that the lost save game file bug will be fixed with the fix that's supposedly "in the approval process as we speak". Just more empty promises.

It was a sad day in gaming history when I received NO SUPPORT from WB. I'll never forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmyname View Post
I'm going back to Thief Fan Missions. At least I know they work and they are created by amateurs!
I can't believe folks are still playing those!

I built two small contest missions for that game, what, 10 years ago? Amazing. I had heard recently (from Nightwalker) that folks were still making those. It might be time for a blast from the past for me as well. I don't think I currently have a PC up and running that will play it though. Hmm, interesting...

Oddly enough, that was about the time in my life where I lost all patience for "things that went nowhere" and moved on to other things. It was too much of a timesink, and I had "more important things" to do. Started writing (that went nowhere), now I just play games when I get the chance. Less stress, playing other folks' stuff, until you come across something like a lost save game file bug. Then the depression sets in.

Last edited by HitDeity: 03-07-2012 at 05:20 AM.
HitDeity is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City