Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #46
har_d_har
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Reputation: 7
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I don't understand why people feel the need to defend substandard game development.
They aren't. They're merely bringing up the point that in other vac secured games using 3rd party programs to force the change of variables you arent supposed to be able to to change is bannable, remember the whole MW2 console unlocker fiasco? Why shouldn't this case be the same? And dont give me 'well they should have put a FOV slider in in the first place' that is not the issue here, the issue is using 3rd party programs to force the change of variables.
har_d_har is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #47
Viking2121
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 14
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
They could turn the switch to start ban for this anytime.

I would seriously enjoy to see this since FOV isn't changable via setting or *.cfg no *.ini files it's unfair advantage.
I guess Valve Should ban anyone who uses a monitor bigger than a 17inch if you think about it.

I got a 19inch monitor and its wider than stander 19inch monitors, so play this game at the default 65fov it just plain dumb, I have to use my second 21inch monitor to play this game on and that monitor has a pretty noticeable delay for some reason.

FOV change is needed, hell even on a 17 inch It would be better to use 75 - 80 FOV, Not to sure why they would default it at 65 anyway for PC. I don't Have motion sickness at all, but the only game or games I get it in is MW2, MW3 and the new Medal of Honer single player, jest because of the fact the FOV is so low. I Play @lterMW3 when it was up (working on it now I guess) because I can change the FOV, it so comfortable to play for a few hours now instead of a few min. Thats my 2cents.

I don't use this FOV changer anymore because I don't want to run the risk of a ban, I have to many games including Valve games on my account to get banned, So i'll just play @lterMW3 when they get that done.
Viking2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #48
Zdaltorio
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 23
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Unfair in what way? The game developers have designed the game to work in 4:3 and 16:10. No one is editing memory via an external program. FOV changer is a cheat and under normal circumstances you would get banned for it, but alas some VAC employees preferred to embrace it over VAC rules.
misguided, you call any example we use from either previous games in the series or other games as invalid because they are not this game. however would you not agree that having a locked FOV is a step back in game design.

Now I don't see why they decided to lock FOV when no one complained about it in previous games.As well as the engine handled it perfectly fine. Now the reason I bring that up is because the engine is for the most part is the same.

Also FOV isn't the only thing that has been locked down by the devs in this game. dev console, latency bars (no option for raw numbers), cg_drawfps (is locked and no option in options to enable.)

So the only logically reasoning i can see why all these things are locked is because IW did a really poor job porting the game over to pc when they used a pc to create the game.

sheeply wake up, devs can be wrong when they disable or lock things down. if the devs don't or can't(due to greedvision) its up to the community to unlock things, and make the game better for the players.(like unlocking ranked dedis,unlocking dev console,unlocking mod support, and creating an unoffical map maker.)

Last edited by Zdaltorio: 03-10-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Zdaltorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #49
Misguided
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 61
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdaltorio View Post
misguided, you call any example we use from either previous games in the series or other games as invalid because they are not this game. however would you not agree that having a locked FOV is a step back in game design.

Now I don't see why they decided to lock FOV when no one complained about it in previous games.As well as the engine handled it perfectly fine. Now the reason I bring that up is because the engine is for the most part is the same.

Also FOV isn't the only thing that has been locked down by the devs in this game. dev console, latency bars (no option for raw numbers), cg_drawfps (is locked and no option in options to enable.)

So the only logically reasoning i can see why all these things are locked is because IW did a really poor job porting the game over to pc when they used a pc to create the game.

sheeply wake up, devs can be wrong when they disable or lock things down. if the devs don't or can't(due to greedvision) its up to the community to unlock things, and make the game better for the players.(like unlocking ranked dedis,unlocking dev console,unlocking mod support, and creating an unoffical map maker.)
You can use all methods of justifying why you think this cheat is valid, but in the end they all mean nothing.

If a person can change FOV by editing memory how easy must if be for IWNET. Yet they don't change it and that is because the maps were designed with short FOV in mind.
Misguided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #50
masterchef341
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 722
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
You can use all methods of justifying why you think this cheat is valid, but in the end they all mean nothing.

If a person can change FOV by editing memory how easy must if be for IWNET. Yet they don't change it and that is because the maps were designed with short FOV in mind.
If you believe this is a cheat, that's great. Amazing, even. However, it's entirely off topic and has no relevancy to the OP's question.

The only relevant point is that the FOV changing software modifies the game. It is not currently causing VAC bans, but it is in the category of things which could cause VAC bans, simply because it plugs into and modifies the game. There's no way to know whether or not this will cause VAC bans in the future.

use at your own risk.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #51
Zdaltorio
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 23
Posts: 128
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
You can use all methods of justifying why you think this cheat is valid, but in the end they all mean nothing.

If a person can change FOV by editing memory how easy must if be for IWNET. Yet they don't change it and that is because the maps were designed with short FOV in mind.
I'm confused, because in the other thread and possibly in this one too, you've always played the balance card, now your saying its because the maps.

To try and keep this on topic, valve won't answer this because it is in the grey area in terms of public perception. You are more likely to get an answer from someone at IW namely bancandy.
Zdaltorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #52
Viking2121
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 14
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdaltorio View Post
I'm confused, because in the other thread and possibly in this one too, you've always played the balance card, now your saying its because the maps.

To try and keep this on topic, valve won't answer this because it is in the grey area in terms of public perception. You are more likely to get an answer from someone at IW namely bancandy.
Even IW can't answer, They only pay attention to making money on future COD's that may fail like this 1. And the Support staff that they do not have a clue what FOV means, you tell them Field of View they are like "whats that" so it would have to be someone who actually helped make the game or knows what FOV is, and most employees there can not help you, and good luck on a response from a real dev.

But to them people who considers FOV a cheat, Im sorry I updated my Monitor and a CPU, later on better video card to whoop yo @ss with faster hardware, Opps I have Superior hardware then some of you, so I must be cheating, lol
Viking2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #53
Labianator
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 29
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2121 View Post
Even IW can't answer, They only pay attention to making money on future COD's that may fail like this 1. And the Support staff that they do not have a clue what FOV means, you tell them Field of View they are like "whats that" so it would have to be someone who actually helped make the game or knows what FOV is, and most employees there can not help you, and good luck on a response from a real dev.

But to them people who considers FOV a cheat, Im sorry I updated my Monitor and a CPU, later on better video card to whoop yo @ss with faster hardware, Opps I have Superior hardware then some of you, so I must be cheating, lol
No one is considering it a cheat. Well, at least I am not. I am saying that it modifies a file that the game uses and needs, and might be considered a cheat.

Personally, I do not think it should be considered a cheat at all if it only widens the FoV.
Labianator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #54
KRosen
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 362
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
The only relevant point is that the FOV changing software modifies the game. It is not currently causing VAC bans, but it is in the category of things which could cause VAC bans, simply because it plugs into and modifies the game. There's no way to know whether or not this will cause VAC bans in the future.

use at your own risk.
This right here is the answer to this thread. If i was a moderator i would lock it at this point.
KRosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #55
bejayel
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 589
Posts: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkz View Post
There are people here who actually asked to ban for fov changers.
They accept the 60 degree limitations, and want others get banned, instead of asking to have it in the game.
In the free weekend i saw how much the eyes get hurt with such a low fov.
Way to completely lie. Most people want it put in game anyway, if it's not going to be put in the game then it should be banned for. And this is why it should be banned for:

http://i.imgur.com/2bXht.jpg

You are seeing something like 200% more by raising your FOV with this hack.
bejayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #56
ItsTheMystery
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 16
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejayel View Post
Way to completely lie. Most people want it put in game anyway, if it's not going to be put in the game then it should be banned for. And this is why it should be banned for:

http://i.imgur.com/2bXht.jpg

You are seeing something like 200% more by raising your FOV with this hack.
Why would you wanna ban someone for being able to see more? How does that even make sense?

People change their FOV because it causes motion sickness with a small FOV. Play a match with your face pressed up against the screen and tell me if it doesn't make you dizzy.

I don't get why there are people who are ACTUALLY arguing against being able to change FOV just because IW was too lazy to implement a simple FOV slider.

If the game always displayed a black screen and IW wanted it to be like that, would you be like "ban anyone who fixes this problem, IW didn't want you to see at all. BEING ABLE TO SEE IS A HACK!!"
ItsTheMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #57
Labianator
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 29
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
You can use all methods of justifying why you think this cheat is valid, but in the end they all mean nothing.

If a person can change FOV by editing memory how easy must if be for IWNET. Yet they don't change it and that is because the maps were designed with short FOV in mind.
You are correct.

Unless everyone has this and everyone is guaranteed to not be banned for it, it's a cheat until the powers that be designate it as acceptable.

I do not modify my games at all. Someone running around with 80% more FOV than I have is cheating, as they have an unfair advantage over me in being able to see me before I see them in the exact same location.

It's a simple thing, really.

Personally, I have nothing against it so long as everyone can do it. The only way to know if everyone can do it is if IW/Valve say we can do it without repercussions.

Anyone disagreeing with my point, please direct your arguments to webmaster@diaf.com and give me 4-6 weeks to reply.

Last edited by Labianator: 04-04-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Labianator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #58
Labianator
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 29
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheMystery View Post
Why would you wanna ban someone for being able to see more? How does that even make sense?

People change their FOV because it causes motion sickness with a small FOV. Play a match with your face pressed up against the screen and tell me if it doesn't make you dizzy.

I don't get why there are people who are ACTUALLY arguing against being able to change FOV just because IW was too lazy to implement a simple FOV slider.

If the game always displayed a black screen and IW wanted it to be like that, would you be like "ban anyone who fixes this problem, IW didn't want you to see at all. BEING ABLE TO SEE IS A HACK!!"
Motion sickness is a weak argument.

Motion sickness isn't caused by your field of view, it's caused by perception of movements and confusion in the inner ear. You trying to claim that it is caused by how much you can see is like saying "when I go out in the real world, I can see 240 degrees all around me. When I drive through a tunnel, I get motion sickness because I can't see outside of the tunnel."

I play MW3 for hours on end without "motion sickness," so your argument is defeated right there.

Unless and until it is approved, officially, then it should be considered a cheat as it modifies needed game files to give an unfair field of view advantage over other players who do not wish to modify their game unless it is something officially supported.
Labianator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #59
masterchef341
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 722
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labianator View Post
Motion sickness is a weak argument.

Motion sickness isn't caused by your field of view

I play MW3 for hours on end without "motion sickness," so your argument is defeated right there.
The official Valve Developer Documentation says otherwise. There are also about a million sources on the internet which discuss this.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Field_of_View
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #60
Tito Shivan
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 3184
Posts: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labianator View Post
Motion sickness is a weak argument.
But it's a valid one, independently of it's value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labianator View Post
Motion sickness isn't caused by your field of view, it's caused by perception of movements and confusion in the inner ear. You trying to claim that it is caused by how much you can see is like saying "when I go out in the real world, I can see 240 degrees all around me. When I drive through a tunnel, I get motion sickness because I can't see outside of the tunnel."
If that's the best analogy you can pull abut what having different FoV means, you just have no idea about what FoV means.
Period.
Go learn what really means the concept of Field of Vision, and then come back to discuss about it, because with that example you've set a pretty bad precedent for your future arguments on the subject.

I'll fix the analogy though. "when I go out in the real world, I can see 240 degrees all around me. But When i go out in the real world, wearing binoculars, i get sick."
(Seriously, try it out, for a few hours. You'll notice the difference)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labianator View Post
I play MW3 for hours on end without "motion sickness," so your argument is defeated right there.
As we are at it, i'd advise to learn some propositional logic. To avoid using logical fallacies to support your points of view
But i guess i should stop having headaches while playing Borderlands now, as it seems that you not suffering from the same, makes my headache simply not-possible. Nice to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labianator View Post
Unless and until it is approved, officially, then it should be considered a cheat as it modifies needed game files
That's the only part of the argument we can discuss. As, by definition, it's a cheat.
That's a solid argument to follow up a discussion.

I was going to point you about the Valve's developer page about Field of vision, but i see it's already been posted.
Thanks Masterchief
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.