Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online

Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
grazr

Cryptic points and conversion rates.

Ignoring the fact you can trade dilithium for cryptic points in game because i'm a new player who hasn't stored enough dilithium to be worth more than buying a couple rare items in game from requisition officers as i level. I'm finding it a difficult process to actually purchase cryptic points and understanding which process is best value for money because the system in place is just so convoluted.

Purchasing cryptic points through the site seems to force me to buy "Zen" which is not used in STO and then i have to convert that Zen to cryptic points at an exchange rate of 100 Zen to 80 CP's. To make this even more of a convoluted process, even though i've selected my location as UK i have to buy this "Zen" using Euro's, not Sterling (GBP). So i then have to convert euro's into sterling and compare that price to listed USD prices for the direct CP purchases after also converting Zen to CP.

2,000 Zen costs €18 which equals £15 which amounts to £15 for 1,800 CP's (because of Zen to CP conversion rate), excluding VAT.

Buying it direct using an e-card costs $25 USD which equals £16 or €19 excluding VAT.

...and i can't even work out VAT until i get my bill through as apparently it differs from 15% to 25%, though i suppose it's all relative.

But then the euro comparisons don't match the sterling comparisons and i havn't even bothered with the USD Zen/CP comparisons.

Why isn't there a simpler system in place...

Last edited by grazr: 03-10-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
ton de mo nai

Because you live in the EU, and the creation of the EU ed up the economics for the whole region.

Also, it doesn't help that STO was started by Cryptic, and then bought by Perfect World. PW uses Zen, and Cryptic uses the C-points, so that only adds to your conversion rate nightmare.
ton de mo nai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
grazr

On another note, how long can i expect CP's to be assigned to my account. I was under the impression it would be instant (especially since i'm using my bank details and not a third party payment method like PayPal), i havn't dealt with a system that ever wasn't instant, but my account still sits a 0 CP's. Is there a possibility that there is a delay problem with the fact that i'm using a PW account which i merged with CC in order to play STO?

I've read a couple threads online that say cryptic cards tend to be instantanious (which i have used), whilst the champions site (the alternative direct purchase method of obtaining CP's) has a delay of up to 6 hours.
grazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
arron1718

dont buy zen or use perfect world

they take 20% of your points for transferring

use your steam wallet to buy cryptic points

or use cryptic point gift cards, buy them with a credit card and get the full amount of points

1000 cp is £8 with the cards or steam wallet
with perfect world you only get around 840 cp for £8

perfectworld spew out some rubbish about vat
i put £10 on my steam wallet and steam dont deduct vat from it, perfectwold should not but they do so dont use them
arron1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
arron1718

oh to use steam wallet make sure you have steam community switched on for star trek online

then just click cryptic store ingame
click buy cryptic points and select steam wallet
buy the amount you want and get them instant

remember to add funds to steam wallet first lol
arron1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Spinalcore

I suggest trying to use the http://startrekonline.com/crypticpointscards for the purchase of cryptic points. It is how I get mine instead of using the Zen conversion.
Spinalcore is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online