Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Advent Rising

Old 06-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
ElfShotTheFood

It's great and horrible, often at the same time.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #17
StormTheGates

Going with "Yes" on this one, simply because its a good story and decent characters. I mean its written in part by Orison Scott Card(Enders Game) so its story cant possibly be that bad.

The combat is a bit unrewarding, and the game has its serious flaws, but its cheap now so Id pick it up.
StormTheGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
JackNiko

the game has glitchs, yes

the trilogy was not completed yes

but the game itself is worth it, good plot, and your character develops, at the begining you have limited moves, no powers and limit gun options

but by the end of it, you can do back flips over enemys you once feared, and snap there neck, the targeting system is the best i have ever seen, for a dual weapon system and by the time you are done you will be able to throw, shoot punch and kill 12 enemys while evading fire from both tanks and airships

in short fun

end of story
JackNiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
MonkeyWithaGun1

yep. sure is
MonkeyWithaGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
held

I bought the game 2 years ago. Today I tried to finish it.

Unfortunately there was a severe bug near to the end. There was this boss "Skinwalker". I crushed the big rock on him and then I shoot him, but the bug was, he was invincible. I tried everything, also used cheats.

I was so frustrated and deleted the game. Watched the last 20 minutes of gameplay and cutscenes on youtube.

I can't recommend the game. Controls are not so good, has severe bug(s) and respawning enemies. The story was good in the beginning, but very simple in the middle and at the end. The ending is a cliffhangar. Well, devs thought they could/would make a trilogy of it.

To say some positive words, the AI wasn't that stupid, it tried to dodge and it followed you. Sometimes it was very tough.

I would recommend Halo 1 + 2 (PC) instead of this game. Better story and better controls.
held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #21
Zaxx_Bandaries

I loved this game on the Xbox and played it repeatedly. Original, fun and had a great plot written by one of my favorite authors.

I literally just found out this was on Steam. My reluctance comes from being generally unable to fathom playing this with a keyboard. I could see acquiring a PC controller to be a better option, but I'm wanting to avoid that at the moment.

How are the keyboard controls?
Zaxx_Bandaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #22
wasteomind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxx_Bandaries View Post
I loved this game on the Xbox and played it repeatedly. Original, fun and had a great plot written by one of my favorite authors.

I literally just found out this was on Steam. My reluctance comes from being generally unable to fathom playing this with a keyboard. I could see acquiring a PC controller to be a better option, but I'm wanting to avoid that at the moment.

How are the keyboard controls?
Same boat here. Loved the game inside and out. I bought it on PC a long time back, and from what I remember the keyboard/mouse controls feel awkward at first compared to the controller.

After a bit of practice though it isn't so bad. The flick targeting is awkward with the mouse wheel though. That said, once mastered it isn't too bad. PC controllers on this game seem to take an epic amount of setup to get right. I still haven't got my 360 controller working on it in a manner I like.

That said, while the PC version is superior to the xbox version in almost every way, One flaw it does have is the loading sequence videos. On the xbox, loading time was masked with streaming videos of seeker attacks and such. On the PC version, these videos either don't show or cut abruptly because loading times are so much faster than the xbox.
wasteomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
BerronDavis

I thought this was a great game!!! I played it for xbox and the story was excellant and it had bugs but oh well the story is worth it. There was another advent rising game but i dont believe it followed the story, it came out on the psp and i heard it was ok. I would love to see a second game but i doubt it will ever happen
BerronDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
wasteomind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerronDavis View Post
I thought this was a great game!!! I played it for xbox and the story was excellant and it had bugs but oh well the story is worth it. There was another advent rising game but i dont believe it followed the story, it came out on the psp and i heard it was ok. I would love to see a second game but i doubt it will ever happen
Are you talking about Advent Shadow? The one that follows Marin Steel? I'm pretty sure that got canceled long before it ever saw the light of day.
wasteomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #25
Locclo

I would say it's worth it. The gameplay was neat, the story was amazing (I was actually really shocked when the one character died - won't spoil it for those who haven't played), and the combat was fun. I'm really sad it didn't get to continue its story; the plot was just very well-written.
Locclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
TannosukeGR

For me this game is worth a shot. I have it as a retail edition. I even did it a review in Greek language back then.

It's a pity they stopped continuing it, because of some fuss about the copyrights.

Any idea if they will continue it any sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by held View Post
Unfortunately there was a severe bug near to the end. There was this boss "Skinwalker". I crushed the big rock on him and then I shoot him, but the bug was, he was invincible. I tried everything, also used cheats.
Strange, because in my PC edition, I didn't encounter such bug. Maybe you didn't see his barrier? If he's invincible, it could be the barrier preventing it from being hurt. The only way was to wait for the barrier to shut down and then to try throwing the rock against him.

I completed this game without problems.

Last edited by TannosukeGR: 03-11-2012 at 08:19 PM.
TannosukeGR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Advent Rising