Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
BrendanFace
 
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 64
Posts: 112
This is awesome, dude! Nice job! Saved me hours of surfing...

I, for one, consider myself to be Far Crys biggest fan. This is probably not true, but I'm probably darn well close to it. The first game brought me into gaming and FPS, and while the second game took me a while to get used to, it is now one of my favorite games due to the fact that it doesn't depict you as a hero: You arn't some super human badass, crushing all resistance in a clean way. Far Cry 2 is gritty, showing only the worst bits of combat and war. And I loved it because of that. I hope Far Cry 3 will be similar, and by God I hope they arn't going to try to be Call Of Duty...
BrendanFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #17
FreemanForPrez
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 9434
Posts: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanFace View Post
This is awesome, dude! Nice job! Saved me hours of surfing...

I, for one, consider myself to be Far Crys biggest fan. This is probably not true, but I'm probably darn well close to it. The first game brought me into gaming and FPS, and while the second game took me a while to get used to, it is now one of my favorite games due to the fact that it doesn't depict you as a hero: You arn't some super human badass, crushing all resistance in a clean way. Far Cry 2 is gritty, showing only the worst bits of combat and war. And I loved it because of that. I hope Far Cry 3 will be similar, and by God I hope they arn't going to try to be Call Of Duty...
I agree with this, except I actually played FC 2 before FC 1. Somehow I missed out on FC 1 entirely.

But I definitely agree about liking how you're not some super-soldier Rambo type that saves the world from all the bad guys. I like the dark tragedy in the game.

Unlike FC 1, There's nothing lighthearted about it at all, and I think they did a pretty good job of conveying the hopelessness of the situation. It also has some of the best game characters and game dialog I've ever experienced.

I played FC 1 after finishing FC 2 and I loved that too, but it's waaayyy different.
FC 2 is definitely one of my favorite games of all time and I still play it often. Not just for the story itself, but also because it's so damn fun to just load it up and wander around fighting bad guys wherever I find them. Which is everywhere.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Remer
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 157
Posts: 744
The more they release about this game, the more excited I am.

This is a teaser trailer -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQFltH1D39k

This is a gameplay trailer-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxTXv...eature=related

Looks like they are showcaseing wildlife a bit more in these ones. We have sharks, bats, birds, and commodo dragons so far. The graphics leave a bit to be desired in some places, but that's because they're running on a 360 as the title states.

Last edited by Remer: 03-26-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #19
FreemanForPrez
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 9434
Posts: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remer View Post
The more they release about this game, the more excited I am.

This is a teaser trailer -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQFltH1D39k

This is a gameplay trailer-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxTXv...eature=related

Looks like they are showcaseing wildlife a bit more in these ones. We have sharks, bats, birds, and commodo dragons so far. The graphics leave a bit to be desired in some places, but that's because they're running on a 360 as the title states.
Oh man that looks cool. I can hardly wait.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #20
foocy.toocy
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 24
Posts: 442
Ugh, that 1st person cover mechanic is from Vietcong. It looks like crap and is pointless too. Such a shame alot of games like RO2 are picking it up. Seems every new game adds something better. When FC4 nears completition there will be a thread like this:

"Far Cry 4: better dynamic AI blinking mechanics and improved water shaders".

I'm pumped for FC3 as much as the next guy/gal but they completly lost me at FC2. They should have just renamed it "Counter Strike: a travel to africa" as it had nothing to do with Far Cry 1...
foocy.toocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
Remer
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 157
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by foocy.toocy View Post
Ugh, that 1st person cover mechanic is from Vietcong. It looks like crap and is pointless too. Such a shame alot of games like RO2 are picking it up. Seems every new game adds something better. When FC4 nears completition there will be a thread like this:

"Far Cry 4: better dynamic AI blinking mechanics and improved water shaders".

I'm pumped for FC3 as much as the next guy/gal but they completly lost me at FC2. They should have just renamed it "Counter Strike: a travel to africa" as it had nothing to do with Far Cry 1...
You know, there usually is a cover button that you have the option to press. It doesn't automatically put you into cover when you walk by an object.

But yes, I'm quite disappointed that there were no "mutants" or anything in the 2nd FarCry.
Remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
- Đanse -
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 91
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remer View Post

But yes, I'm quite disappointed that there were no "mutants" or anything in the 2nd FarCry.
There was a lot of criticism about the mutants (Trigens?) in FC1. Personally, I despised that half of the game. I probably completed the full thing twice, but played up until the point the mutants make an appearance fifteen, twenty times easily, then turned it off.

Apparently a lot of gamers felt the same, and even Ubi at the time said that with retrospect they saw the Trigens as a mistake.

Up until that point, the game was freeform, tactical, stealthy if you wished, and then it turned into 'just another sci-fi shooter'.

I'm not writing this to troll you incidentally, but to point out how FC2 came into being.

If you take the first half of FC1 and ignore the mutants, then FC2 is very much a spiritual sequel, but on a much bigger scale. Groups of armed mercs, vehicles, assault or stealth, jungle creeps etc. It was essentially a response to those fans who thought the Trigens reduced the game to mediocrity.

I've lost count of the hours I spent in FC2, but even I'll agree it's not perfect.

I'm very interested to see which direction they go with FC3, and see if they can satisfy all their fans. Tough job.

Only two things are likely to kill it for me and make me pass.
  • Mutants, Trigens, Alien, or the like.

  • Ubi's financially suicidal adoration of excessive DRM.

- Đ -
- Đanse - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
Remer
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 157
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by - Đanse - View Post
There was a lot of criticism about the mutants (Trigens?) in FC1. Personally, I despised that half of the game. I probably completed the full thing twice, but played up until the point the mutants make an appearance fifteen, twenty times easily, then turned it off.

Apparently a lot of gamers felt the same, and even Ubi at the time said that with retrospect they saw the Trigens as a mistake.

Up until that point, the game was freeform, tactical, stealthy if you wished, and then it turned into 'just another sci-fi shooter'.

I'm not writing this to troll you incidentally, but to point out how FC2 came into being.

If you take the first half of FC1 and ignore the mutants, then FC2 is very much a spiritual sequel, but on a much bigger scale. Groups of armed mercs, vehicles, assault or stealth, jungle creeps etc. It was essentially a response to those fans who thought the Trigens reduced the game to mediocrity.

I've lost count of the hours I spent in FC2, but even I'll agree it's not perfect.

I'm very interested to see which direction they go with FC3, and see if they can satisfy all their fans. Tough job.

Only two things are likely to kill it for me and make me pass.
  • Mutants, Trigens, Alien, or the like.

  • Ubi's financially suicidal adoration of excessive DRM.

- Đ -
I agree with you on a lot of that, and they really did lower the tactical value of the experience. But what I liked about them was that they added to the environment and the horror of it.

Lets all face it, you can't get scared in a game by other humans with guns, you have to believe that there is something more deep down inside; we fear what we don't understand. I wish that they could have taken the trigens and not included them in much of the gameplay. For example, never come into direct contact with them or see them, but you know it's a horror lurking from the shadows. Maybe catch small glimpses of them every here and then. Witness camps and guard stations wiped out by them or watch an outpost get obliterated while you sneak around. Something like that.

I just wish FC2 had a little more horror added in the mix to spice it up. Oh and Ubi have already confirmed that there are no supernatural elements to FC3 so I think you're okay in that respect.

Last edited by Remer: 03-28-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
- Đanse -
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 91
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remer View Post
I agree with you on a lot of that, and they really did lower the tactical value of the experience. But what I liked about them was that they added to the environment and the horror of it.

Lets all face it, you can't get scared in a game by other humans with guns, you have to believe that there is something more deep down inside. I wish that they could have taken the trigens and not included them in much of the gameplay. For example, never come into direct contact with them or see them, but you know it's a horror lurking from the shadows. Maybe catch small glimpses of them every here and then.

I just wish FC2 had a little more horror added in the mix to spice it up. Oh and Ubi have already confirmed that there are no supernatural elements to FC3 so I think you're okay in that respect.
Yeah, it's a fair point. Nothing I disagree with there.

Ironically, I loved the Stalker series which is certainly in that direction. I've probably never been more apprehensive than when going into the underground bunkers in that game with the dripping water, creaking rotating lights, dark corners and scuffling sounds.

If I recall, FC1 had a similar moment where you get dropped in the jungle either unarmed of very lightly armed, the Trigens come running at you out of the bushes. That was a real, "Oh crap!" moment.

If they can make a game that has the best of FC1 and FC2 with none or little of the downsides of either, then I think they'll hit gaming gold. Hope they do.
- Đanse - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
SniperInABush
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 30
Posts: 298
Are you sure the "stealth" screeny isnt a scripted event?
SniperInABush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
Remer
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 157
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperInABush View Post
Are you sure the "stealth" screeny isnt a scripted event?
Could be. Like I said, it's all speculation.

But there is something more that indicates advanced stealth. In the video when the player is attacking, it shows white screen markers in the center anytime he is seen by an AI. These are usually used in stealth games to help convey the AI's awareness to the player.

EDIT - updated the OP with a multiplayer article by Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Last edited by Remer: 04-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #27
Alfabetica
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 603
Posts: 4,236
Good work putting everything together here.
Alfabetica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
Remer
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 157
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfabetica View Post
Good work putting everything together here.
Thank you sir.
Remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
anelaidlives
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 211
Posts: 1,095
Don't forget the new Multiplayer, which is pretty much a copy+paste from call of duty.
anelaidlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #30
FreemanForPrez
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 9434
Posts: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelaidlives View Post
Don't forget the new Multiplayer, which is pretty much a copy+paste from call of duty.
And what leads you to that conclusion?
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.